? asked in HealthAlternative Medicine · 10 years ago

Do people really turn into emotionless zombies after taking Xanax?

What if you really do need to be on it?

Best Answer

No not at all.

Why told you that?

Xanax (alprazolam) is a benzodiazepine, a class of medications used to treat anxiety disorders (among other things).

It can be a bit sedating, especially when people first take it. But millions of people have taken it, it is in the top ten most prescribed drugs in The US and most people have great results.

Xanax can be abused and if people heavily abuse it at doses far above normal it can cause people to sleep all the time and be "out of it." So someone abusing could give off that impression. But it never really causes people to act like "emotionless zombies." There are a couple of types of drugs that can have that effect but rarely do.

Xanax abuse, contrary to popular belief, is rare. Most people abusing it are addicted to opioids like heroin (Xanax makes opioids stronger) or they are meth or cocaine addicts who use Xanax to help them "come down" off the stimulants and to help them sleep.

If you need to take it (and only a doctor can make that decision) then there is no reason you can't or should not unless you have a medical condition or take medication that is contraindicated with Xanax. And if you have no history of substance abuse the risk of any addiction is almost none.

However Xanax can cause physical dependency, a completely different thing from addiction. It just means the body gets used to the medication and if the drug is stopped it should be stopped slowly. As long as the drug is being used appropriately it is not a problem.

I personally take Xanax XR (alprazolam extended-release) at a highish dose of 4 mg/day. I have been taking Xanax for a long time and I have emotions, I act normally there is not really an issue.

If Xanax really caused people to become 'emotionless zombies' (and that is not exactly a technical term) then there would be millions of zombies out there.

Just so you know, unless a person has medical or scientific expertise don't listen to them. Every drug can cause side effects and some times it happens to a person and they go on to attack that drug. People say and "know" a lot, most of it is incorrect.

Source(s): I am a medical student (M.D., C.M.) at a university in Montréal, QC, Canada for psychiatry and internal medicine. I have a Hons. BSc in pharmacology and I have interned with two psychiatrists, one neurologist, and at a chemical dependency rehabilitation centre. I have also worked as a pharmacy assistant. I take 4 mg of Xanax XR/day

TL; DR alprazolam is a drug like any other. Just has a fancy name with a doctors note attached. One love.

Yes! I am watching two friends with their own alprazolam prescriptions turn into emotionless "zombies" The way it happens is you have to be on it for all hours of the day and you begin to forget to show emotions through the whole day. Do this for 2 weeks straight and you will be addicted to the feeling and mindset: this is called zombie mode.

I wonder if our friend Mathiu has passed yet. I am really curious, because 7 years of alprazolam with 4mG/day is an intense workout for ones liver.

I don't think so.

They turn into people with less anxiety.

I took it briefly many years ago.

no