Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 10 years ago

Would you call this a stall tactic? (With bonus questions)?

Hey Everybody.

Well, I was thinking "why end it on a Thursday when I can milk it for one more day and end it on a Friday?" So, here is the whole list to date and a couple of bonus questions.

101. the Violent Femmes - Add It Up

100. Unkle - Rabbit In Your Headlights

99. the Tyde - Henry VIII

98. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Runnin Down a Dream

97. They Might Be Giants - Road Movie to Berlin

96. the Stranglers - Golden Brown

95. the Vogues - 5 O'Clock World

94. Jethro Tull - New Day Yesterday

93. fIREHOSE - Anti-Masogyny Maneuver

92. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Is This Love?

91. Drive Like Jehu - Here Come Rome Plows

90. Bob Dylan - Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again

89. Tears for Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule the World

88. Yo La Tengo - Stockholm Syndrome

87. Rocket From the Crypt - Killy Kill

86. Band f Horses - Wicked Gil

85. the Monkees - Randy Scouse Git

84. Echo and the Bunnymen - Do It Clean

83. the Starlight Mints - Black Cat

82. Devo - Gut Feeling

81. the Who - the Kids are Alright

80. the Carrie Nations - Find It

79. Andrew Bird - Imitosis

78. Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

77. Portishead - Cowboys

76. Tom Brosseau - Here Come the Water Now

75. Mos Def - Sex, Love and Money

74. the Mamas and the Papas - California Dreamin

73. the Specials - Little B*tch

72. PJ Harvey - Me-Jane

71. R.E.M. - Welcome to the Occupation

70. Jimi Hendrix - Castles Made of Sand

69. Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill

68. Bruce Springsteen - Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street

67. Jason Loewenstein - NYC III

66. the Breeders - Only in 3's

65. Okkervil River - It Ends With A Fall

64. the Zombies - Time of the Season

63. Weezer - Tired of Sex

62. The Spires - Wild Death

61. The Mars Volta - The Widow

60. Deerhoof - This Magnifcent Bird Will Rise

59. Robert Pollard - Make Use

58. Talking Heads - Crosseyed and Painless

57. Warren Zevon - Desperados Under the Eaves

56. Modest Mouse - Interstate 8

55. Bruce Hornsby and the Range - The Way It Is

54. Fionn Regan - the Underwood Typewriter

53. Morrissey - Alsatian Cousin

52. Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit

51. Jane's Addiction - Three Days

50. Blur - Trimm Trabb

49. Franklin For Short - Like A Feather

48. David Bowie - It Ain't Easy

47. The Old 97's - Streets of Where I'm From

46. Paul McCartney - Too Many People

45. Delta Spirit - Parade

44. Polvo - Thermal Treasure

43. Fuazi - Place Position

42. Beck - Guess I'm Doing Fine

41. Nick Drake - Things Behind the Sun

40. Brian Wilson - Surf's Up

39. Aimee Mann - It's Not

38. The Silver Jews - The Wild Kindness

37. Billy Joel - Laura

36. Sebadoh - Homemade

35. Sonic Youth - Dirty Boots

34. Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

33. Guided By Voices - Bulldog Skin

32. Oingo Boingo - On the Outside

31. Stephen Malkmus - Jenny and the Ess Dog

30. Jurassic 5 - Concrete Schoolyard

29. Jeremy Enigk - Carnival

28. Sammy - Encyclopedi-ite

27. the Velvet Underground - Who Loves the Sun

26. Apollo Sunshine - Ghost

25. the Smiths - Handsome Devil

24. John Lennon - Watching The Wheels

23. A.C. Newman - On The Table

22. The Roots - The Seed V. 2.0

21. Wilco - Theologians

20. Grandaddy - Chartsengrafs

19. the Folk Implosion - Natural One

18. the Decemberists - the Tain

17. Stevie Wonder - We Can Work It Out (Beatles Cover)

16. Tall Tales and the Silver Lining - Born Down By the Side

15. Belle and Sebastian - Simple Things

14. Dr. Dog - The Beach

13. the Pixies - Alec Eiffel

12. Dr. Octagon - Earth People

11. Elvis Costello - The Angels Wanna Wear My Red Shoes

10. Elliott Smith - Condor Ave.

09. Simon and Garfunkel - The Big Bright Green Pleasure Machine

08. Radiohead - Paranoid Android

07. Built to Spill - I Would Hurt A Fly

06. Paul Simon - The Obvious Child

05. Tom Waits - Please Call Me Baby

04. Pavement - Transport is Arranged

03. The Shins - Caring Is Creepy

02. Frank Black - (I Wanna Live On An) Abstract Plain

1. Which is your favorite track so far?

2. Which is your least favorite track so far?

3. Of all the ommissions, which single one do you find the most egregious?

4. What song do you think will come in at number one?

Bonus: Here is a great track probably my favorite album I picked up last year.

the Spires - Famous Last Words

http://www.rhapsody.com/the-spires/a-way-of-seeing...

Thanks a lot everybody. Hope you like that song and I hope you've been enjoying the countdown.

I have to get back to work (I just took an additional half hour to run to the DMV), but I wanted to pop in and say thanks a whole lot. I appreciate the kind words and I'm really glad that the list has paid off and it sounds like it fulfilled my goals for it. Thanks a lot.

I'm glad to give you, and the rest of earth, a stay of execution Mama. Maybe if you really get all all your ducks in a row in a hurry you can still pull it off. You can do it! (insert smile face)

Best Answer

oh no, prof, tis the end of an era :(

1. rem, devo

2. tom waits

3. no husker du?

4. some uninspired beatles number...

thanks prof

the countdown has been the highlight of r + p over the past months. feel free to take a breather, but i will be severely disappointed if you don't give me some more superb sounds very soon.

rhapsody is u.s only...

here is one of my favourite cuts from last year

in your heart - a place to bury strangers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT9aOymk9dw

Youtube thumbnail

1. I know I missed quite a few of these, but I did go back and listen to a lot of them. Out of the ones I already knew, my favorite was probably Condor Ave. or Add It Up. As for the ones I hadn't heard before, maybe the PJ Harvey tune. It convinced me to go pick up Rid of Me, which is definitely a new favorite.

2. The Mars Volta track, I suppose.

3. Not sure. If it were me, I would have obviously threw in some Leonard Cohen. Otherwise, it 's a pretty solid list.

4. I'll also guess Here Comes the Sun.

Thanks again for the countdown Prof, it's been fun.

NY is known as "The Big Apple" because long ago a famous folk hero (Johnny Appleseed) planted a single seed in the middle of the city. Then, in a strange warp in space-time, a boy named Jack planted a seed he believed to be magical in the same spot. In what is still considered a marveling biological advancement, the two seeds fused together on a molecular level. After an impressive rain, the seed hybrid grew into an apple 300ft tall and approximatively 330ft wide. The strangest thing being the absence of a tree. It seems the apple was completely normal, except it grew straight from the ground with its own roots like a beanstalk of some sort. For decades to come, people would visit the city and look up at the impossible fruit and think "that is a big apple". After a while people began referring to the city itself as "The Big Apple". But then, 1943 Oct 11th, something strange happened. As the city laid to rest, the night once again upon them, there was a blinding flash of red light. The flash lasted for nearly 4-5 seconds. No one is certain what caused the flash, but once it was over the apple had simply disappeared. Not only had it vanished, the ground it had grown from had closed as if it were never there. Some say the apple had grown so large it created some sort of fruity supernova and collapsed in on itself in a black hole. Some say the aliens responsible for the death of the dinosaurs came back and destroyed the apple as well. We may never know exactly what happened that night, but one thing is for sure. That was a big-*** apple.

Well, my day is ruined. I was so looking forward to seeing the number one choice, and now you've just snatched that all away. You are cruel beyond words.

1: Earth People

2. I don't know. In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, maybe.

3. Well, since I assume The Beatles will be number one, I'll say that it seems like there should be some straight up (i.e not post-) punk - maybe some Ramones or Patti Smith.

4. If I had to guess, something off Abbey Road - maybe the medley or "The End"

• Stuie

Hey Prof!

1. Nick Drake - Things Behind the Sun or The Shins - Caring is Creepy

2. I didn't like a lot of the Harder ones IE Drive Like Jehu, Rocket from the Crypt and others.

3. The Verve - History (Bittersweet Symphony is my favorite but people always bring up The Stones.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UthXR8NAn_Q

Youtube thumbnail

My Morning Jacket - Gideon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crqM-Hmx5rY

Youtube thumbnail

4. Something from The Beatles Abbey Road.

Hey Prof, great stall tactic.

1. It's extremely tough, since I love mostly every song on the list, but I'll go with The Shins - Caring Is Creepy.

2. Unkle - Rabbit In Your Headlights. I still remember that song for how much I didn't care for it.

3. Anything by The Replacements.

4. I knew it was a Beatles tune, and everyone seemed to know it was "Here Comes The Sun".

Bonus: Loved it. I'm totally digging this new Spires' record and it's definitely one of the best releases of 2009. Thanks for putting me on to them.

Hey Prof!

Thanks for printing the whole list again, Because I wanted to look through them more.

1) We got the Grandaddy connection. I tend to like the spacey, alienated Grandaddy better but no doubt that "Chartsengrafs" on Software Slump was a pivotal album for me.

2) Bruce Hornsby and the Range - sorry when I hear that song sounds like he gave up and turned in his chips. :-)

3) Well the 90's are it for you. Coming of age, having your musical awakening with the Pixies and Pavement. Two of the top bands, albums, and songs from the 90's are:

Flaming Lips - Waitin' For Superman http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr799iX0qGo

Youtube thumbnail

(I know you are not a Flaming Lips guy, but maybe you need to seem them live anway?)

My Bloody Valentine - Sometimes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0dJqlvOSq4

Youtube thumbnail

(Maybe too much shoegazer for you?)

4) Haha everybody knows it's the Beatles, but which song? Hmm, let's see "Within Without You"? or maybe "Tomorrow Never Knows"? "A Day In the Life" best production ever?

I am with Wire and String - You have many times mentioned "Here Comes the Sun" so I am thinking is that one.

Great list, Prof, Nice that you are able to sit down and sort out your fav songs so well. I don't believe I could do it. Music is emotional for me and I am a bit of a wavering YoYo and can't lock myself down to any order. lol

Good morning, Professor Anger~

What a fabulous idea, spreading the fun out just a *little bit* more :-)

That is one catchy tune: Famous Last Words ~ thanks for the bonus!

1. Fave track ~ well, I don't want to choose anything that I already knew (even tho admittedly those were few and far between), so I'm going to go with Built to Spill's "I would hurt a fly". Just love it.

2. Least fave ~ you know, there was one really 'clangy' one near the beginning... but I don't remember which one it was!

3. Omission ~ wow. Now that's going to take some thinking! As you know, I'm sorta *ahem* from the '70s... and while so much of that music is now considered classic rock ~ and I noticed at least a couple from the '60s, I'm going to say................ Tracy Chapman ~ Fast Car. lol! Obviously I changed my mind about which decade to choose from, because I wanted it to fit in with the 'mix' more, and lets face it, Grateful Dead just wasn't gonna do it.

4. I can keep a secret ;-)

1. The Beach - Dr. Dog. Seen them mentioned a few times, meant to check them out, always got forgetful and confused later on and mixed them up with Dr. Hook.

2. Tired Of Sex - Weezer. Although I didn't listen to every song.

4. I keep coming up with guesses and then I see you already have them listed somewhere. Maybe Joy Division or Jesus & Mary Chain? Maybe you'll fool everyone and the #1 spot will go to Bootsy Collins.

Whatever it turns out to be, I've had a good time with this. Certainly heard a lot of songs I wouldn't otherwise have listened to. Like that song you just posted which is very nice.

1. Golden Brown by the Stranglers

2. Guess I'm Doing Fine by Beck

3. I expected a Beatles track.

4. Maybe this will be the Beatles track! ;)

Also, it's nice to see that the end of the world has been postponed a day. Though, I still don't think it will be enough time for me to overthrow each nation's ruler and become President of Earth. Oh, fallen dreams, woe is me.