ACE D asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

Why is a raven like a writing desk?

Favorite Answer

Actually, this riddle is designed to be nonsensical, and according to its author, Lewis Carroll, he never intended for there to be any real answer to the question: “why is a raven like a writing desk?” The entire point of the riddle is that it has no answer, although numerous people have come up with creative interpretations of the riddle.

This question is posed in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, in a scene with Alice, the Mad Hatter, and the Dormouse at the famous Tea Party. Alice is informed that riddles are being exchanged, and the Mad Hatter asks “why is a raven like a writing desk?” The guests attempt to puzzle the riddle out, and several pages later, the Hatter admits “I haven't the slightest idea.” The scene is meant to illustrate the tipster world into which Alice has fallen, with the whole book illustrating how confusing the adult world seems to children. When Alice asks about why they are wasting their time with riddles which have no answer, she's really asking a larger question about adults.

In an introduction to a later edition of the book, Lewis Carroll addressed the issue, saying “Because it can produce a few notes, tho they are very flat; and it is never put with the wrong end in front!” In the original preface, “never” was spelled “Nevar,” which is “raven” backwards. Carroll's pun was unfortunately lost to the red pen of a proofreader, confusing the issue of the riddle even further.

A number of people have come up with creative answer to “why is a raven like a writing desk.” The answer “Poe wrote on both” is popular, as is “they both stand on sticks” and “they both come with inky quills.” One wit responded with “because there is a B in both and an N in neither,” an answer which was meant to highlight the absurdity of the original question. (Saying it aloud might make it clearer.)

• 6 years agoReport

both don't have gills

Well, it's a pretty long story. But, you'll be pleased to know that I have some time. Maybe too much time, as my dear mother tells me. You see, a raven is black. And chalkboards are black, too. Now, you may be thinking, that's my connection, since chalkboards and writing desks are both in school. But believe or not, chalkboards are becoming extinct. Nearly every school you go to only has whiteboards, and the innovative Smartboards. But this is not what this is about. So, let me get back on track. Chalkboards can also be green, just like the Statue of Liberty. But you see, the Statue of Liberty wasn't green at first. That doesn't matter right now, though. The only thing that matters is why a raven is like a writing desk. The Statue of Liberty is green and she is holding a torch. Back then, people used torches for light. That was back then in the cavemen times, when dinosaurs were teachers. Cavemen wore furs, and my history teacher seems like a furry guy. In his class, there are literally TONS of writing desks. Also, back in the cavemen days, there were dinosaurs. Did I mention that already? Birds are said to be the modern day dinosaur. A raven is a bird. And that, my friends, is how a raven is like a writing desk.

1

Source(s): Make Money Writing http://givitry.info/WritingJobsOnline

nicely, it's a pretty lengthy tale. but, you will be pleased to know that i have some time. perhaps too much time, as my pricey mom tells me. you notice, a raven is black. And chalkboards are black, too. Now, you'll be thinking, it truly is my connection, when you consider that chalkboards and writing desks are each in college. but consider or not, chalkboards are getting extinct. nearly every school you go to most effective has whiteboards, and the innovative Smartboards. however this isn't always what that is approximately. So, allow me get lower back on target. Chalkboards also can be green, similar to the Statue of Liberty. however you notice, the Statue of Liberty wasn't green before everything. that does not be counted right now, though. The handiest element that matters is why a raven is sort of a writing table. The Statue of Liberty is green and she is conserving a torch. lower back then, human beings used torches for mild. That changed into lower back then within the cavemen times, whilst dinosaurs had been teachers. Cavemen wore furs, and my history trainer seems like a furry man. In his class, there are literally lots of writing desks. additionally, back within the cavemen days, there were dinosaurs. Did I mention that already? Birds are said to be the current day dinosaur. A raven is a chicken. And that, my friends, is how a raven is sort of a writing desk

Why is a raven like a writing desk?

The raven is a very clever and very mischievous bird. It plays tricks, and steals food and other things from humans, animals, and other birds. While it is a wild creature, it can be tame if raised from an egg or a very young chick. Just as ravens often team up – one to harass, the other to steal – so may a pickpocket or other thief use a raven to distract or even rob a mark.

The writing desk may be used for homework or love letters; but it may also be used, by swindling robber barons, rapacious con men, and shyster lawyers, to steal the land, homes and livelihoods of the unsuspecting poor.

So a raven is like a writing desk when it is turned to theft.

A R -r - raven is like a wR -r - r - ritingdesk because they have the same beginning sound. Charles Dodgson was known to stammer and so the emphasis might have been there. The riddle could have been about that silent 'W' of writing desk. You know, writing desks have double use; you can either write at them or read from them and though you might write all the letters there, they nevar all are read.

Before the 17th century the 'w' was pronounced. Other letters ('g' in gnaw and 'k' in knee, for example) fell silent too, but were trapped in the spelling as written English fossilised into its present form. They are all of ancient Germanic origin and were pronounced in Anglo-Saxon.

Because there is a writing desk called raven

They both cause the gathering of wolves - a desk of Academia to challenge or control State & on a carcass, ravens consume more than a wolf, a pack yields more returns in the face of ravens.

The mind, like a raven, soars great distances while at a writing desk.

Or it could be a reference to himself and Alice. Alice being the raven who flew into his life twice while he was driving himself insane at his own writing desk, inside his mind. Bringing a small slice of sanity to him. Or rather, a break to stop and smell the red painted roses.

-Kira Powers

A writing desk is a rest for pens and a raven is a pest for wrens.