How safe are planes flying internationally from europe to the US?

Ok I know this is funny, and I know that they say that planes are safer than driving a car to work everyday! But just to verify how safe are planes? I am flying out tomorrow from europe to the USA with Delta, how safe are their planes?

Thanks so much! I feel better LOL I am flying with a 3 yr old and a 9 month old so obviously I am a bit scared! But thank you to everyone and to everyone who will respond to my question!

Favorite Answer

Planes flying internationally are just as safe as any other planes. Some extra precautions are taken for long flights over water, such as loading extra survival gear aboard the airplane (out of sight of passengers), but the aircraft themselves are equally safe no matter where they are flying. Delta is a major airline with a good safety record.

This reminds me a bit about the old joke that says that airplanes make certain noises that can only be heard over water, above mountains, or at night … meaning, of course, that pilots and passengers tend to be more worried about problems that might occur with the aircraft when they are flying far from suitable landing spots, even though the airplanes are just as reliable over water or mountains as they are over flat land.

The last accident with major fatalities involving a US air carrier on an international trip was in 1995. Before that, you have to go back to the 1980s. So basically, about 1 fatal accident in 25 years or so involving a US carrier flying internationally. None of these involved Delta or Northwest, which recently merged with Delta.

While all airplanes are built to provide high levels of safety, International airplanes are amongst the safest in the world because of the redundancies and extra maintenance programs they have built in flying over vast expanses of uninhabited terrain.

Statistically eating is FAR more dangerous than flying a plane from the USA to Europe because 300 people die every year from choking on their food. Way fewer people die every year on planes from Europe to the US.

You might even say it's safer than walking since millions every year get shot, stabbed, kidnapped or hit by a car while walking.

Don't worry about it. The most dangerous thing about your future flight will be the boredom. Bring a book.

We took our daughter to Dominican when she was 8 months old 2006. She had to sit on our knee for the whole 10hr flight, paying the extra wasn't an option we were told for health & safety reasons under 2's were not allowed their own seat - we were also refused her car seat. Luckily there was enough of us to take it in turns. She's now 3 and we're givin Mexico a try later this yr - just hope she's as well behaved this time round:-)

You will see when you go through two security gates tomorrow. The first as is usual at all airports, and the second uses a pat-down and hand scanners, at least at Frankfurt.

Just as safe as any other planes flying everywhere else.

Very Very Very safe =] FAA keeps everyone in tip top condition.

Statistically, you have a greater chance of being struck by lightning on you way to the airport. relax.