Can you spray paint your rims black?

I want to have black rims, would it work/stay if I spray painted them black?

• SoCal
    Favorite Answer

Yes you can just like Robert said and also it WILL last if you do it right, however, when you go to a tire shop to get a tire replaced they may scratch some of the paint off depending on the machine they used.

I have actually done this myself and it came out quite well, and it was done on regular old steel wheels.

I did my rims a year ago and they still look freshly painted aside from some scratches from tire shops.

My rims before: http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/5320/sspx0129a.jp...

My rims after: http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/8369/sspx0128.jpg

I highly recommend this Dupli Color paint: http://www.duplicolor.com/products/wheel.html You can get it at most auto parts places especially Pepboys.

Some things needed,

a. Wheel self-etching sandable primer

b. Wheel paint

c. Masking tape (if the rim has the tire on it while you're painting)

d. 600 and 1000 grit dry sand paper

e. 1500 grit wet sand paper

f. Some type of cleaning brush to remove dirt and grime.

g. Gloves and some type of breathing mask to protect you from the fumes.

h. Some type of degreaser or cleaner.

The key to this is prep-work and PATIENCE. Prep-work is what can make or break a paint job.

1. First pull the wheel off the car and give it a really good cleaning, you want that thing spotless and no dirt/grime anywhere. I recommend buying an engine degreaser or use a can of Bug & Tar Remover. Give the wheel a quick rinse after and get all the degreaser or whatever cleaner you used off.

2. Start sanding every metal part of that rim you can get to. I started off with 600grit sandpaper which worked perfectly for me, go over every inch. Reason your starting off with such a low grit is to clean off all the remaining stubborn dirt and to help smooth out some of the rougher surfaces. Next clean it off a little and get all those metal shavings and such out of the way. Move on to 1000grit sand paper and re-do the entire rim, this will help smooth the rim out even further.

3. Once your done, give that rim a really good washing. You don't want anything on it. It's gotta be smooth. After you wash it begin laying down 3-4 coats of primer, hold the can about 7-8 inches away and don't go too fast but also don't go slow enough that puddles form. Use side-to-side movement and start at different points for each coat.

4. Let the primer dry for a few hours.

5. Next is wet sanding, you must keep the sand paper wet throughout the whole process. Use a 1500grit wet sand paper and go over every inch of that rim again to smooth out the primer. Once your done give the rim it's next and final washing, this one is important cause the paint goes on next.

6. After you wash it and let it completely dry, begin spraying the rim with the paint. Use 6-8 coats with 10 minute intervals. Spray each coat side-to-side again and be careful not to overlap too much along with starting at different points so that you hit every part of the rim.

7. Once you put down all the coats allow the rim to dry overnight and do NOT handle it, just let it sit and install the next day. It will take the paint about a week to cure so do not wash them or let any chemicals get on them, including cleaning chemicals. Rain is okay but dry them off the first chance you get, avoid any sprinkler water as much as possible.

***On a side note, you can finish them off with a few coats of Clearcoat but that's up to you, it will offer a little more protection and shine, however you will have to let the paint dry overnight, apply the clearcoat then let the clearcoat dry over night as well or for 4 hours at least.

Good luck! If you have any questions feel free to message me.

• denman

Painting Rims

Don't listen to these guys, its your choice and everybody has different taste. Myself i prefer chrome but working at a body shop I can give you a little advice on this project.

First clean the rim you want to paint really good. You probably have simple green at home that'll work as a degreaser.

Now I'm not sure if your rims are steel or aluminum but either way 99% of a great paint job is prep. So the better job you do prepping the better the paint well look and hold up. If you have a clean surface you need to rough it up to get the paint to adhere. A red scotch bright pad works great but you could also use 220 sand paper.

If painting over bare metal you'll want to use a metal prep adhesion promoting primer, otherwise regular primer well work. The reason we want to primer is we want an even color under our paint and a good strong bond.

Next begin painting with several light coats allowing the paint to flash off between coats per the instructions on the can.

While painting with a can requires more patiance a great paint job can be acheived!

Good luck!

• mariam

Discover Spray Paint Art Secrets!

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Can you spray paint your rims black?

Source(s): spray paint rims black: https://tinyurl.im/Esboz

Yes! Yes you can, I did mine over 4 years ago. And the only chipping was from my wife r7being on a curb,and where tire shops used impact guns to take off lugs. The key is 1st, decrease and cleaning them very well. 2nd, is sanding,then rinse and dry. Followed by sanding and 2 or 3 coats of primer. 3rd, 2 or 3 coats of paint finished with 2 coats of clear coat. Practice patience and using quality product. They will look & stay looking factory with normal care and cleaning.

spray painting your rims would look pretty trashy, no offense, just trying to save you from being mad at yourself hah. You can get them painted like you would get a car painted. Yeah, it will cost more, but it will look better. That or just buy black rims, getting them painted would probably be cheaper. Go somewhere local that does paint jobs and ask them about it, or just call them.

Paint won't adhere to metal well. If you are really going to do this, use a primer first. Be aware that even if you prime and get a good coat on there, it will look like crap and will chip and flake.

If you really want black rims, you're going to have to buy black rims.

1

• keerok

Yes why not?

Would it work? Probably.

Would it stay? Not as long as you want it to be.