why is everyone so down on scientology?
dont know much about it really.
travolta, annie archer and jason lee all seem quite normal and decent.
- 1 decade agoFavorite Answer
Er... probably because it's an awful cult.
It's dangerous and extorts its victims. There are multitudes of people who have suffered tragic experiences during their involvement with Scientology. Read about them here:
Here are more "bad experiences" with the cult including an illegal plot to infiltrate the government, brainwashing techniques, mind control camps, attacks on critics, and DEATHS caused by Scientology doctrine and members (and none of this is a joke):
● Operation Snow White – Under this official program, Scientology operatives committed infiltration, wiretapping, & theft of documents in government offices. This program constituted the single largest infiltration of the United States government in history. Among the 11 prominent Scientologists convicted of this conspiracy was Mary Sue Hubbard, the wife of Scientology’s “prophet”.
● Operation Freakout - Their campaign of sabotage & intimidation against Paulette Cooper, the writer who published her research & findings on several cults, including Scientology. Scientology’s official plan: to frame Paulette for “bomb threats”, ruin her career & reputation & get her either incarcerated or locked up in psychiatric confinement.
The official plan: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Krasel/cooper/frk1.html
More info: http://www.holysmoke.org/pc/pc.htm
● Fair Game - the Scientology policy detailing how the organization may confront & handle critics & perceived enemies. Here is a direct quote: "Enemies may be deprived of property or injured by any means by any Scientologist without any discipline of the Scientologist. May be tricked, sued or lied to or destroyed.” Though they claim this policy is no longer in effect, Scientology still goes to great lengths to bully all known critics, opponents, “enemies”, etc, often through malicious litigation & character assassination, even going so far as to falsely accuse them of crimes.
● Physical & psychological punishment - Scientologists who "break the rules" while members of the "Sea Org" must subject themselves to the Rehabilitation Project Force (RPF), which includes regimes of harsh physical punishment, forced self-confessions, social isolation, hard labor and intensive ideological indoctrination.
● Brainwashing & mind control - Scientology exerts control over its members by means of typical cult tactics, including but not limited to controlling information about internal doctrine & criticism of the organization, severely restricting social contact outside the cult (including the practice of “disconnecting” from family, friends & ex-members who question the credibility & trustworthiness of the cult & are therefore considered “suppressive persons” by Scientology), creating an “us against them” mentality by villainizing a specific out-group (for Scientology, it’s psychiatrists), & claiming all those outside the cult are dangerously unenlightened.
● Tax Fraud - One of the only reasons they enjoy "tax exempt status" on religious ground in the United States is because they bullied the IRS into a "deal" through extremely aggressive barratry (which is the offense of persistently instigating groundless lawsuits) against said government agency and its officials, and arranged to drop all 2,500 frivolous lawsuits only when an "agreement" was reached. In addition, Scientology's lawyers hired private investigators to dig up any "dirt" on IRS agents which was then used to blackmail or publicly smear all "vulnerable" agents.
● Public “Service” - The “Church” of Scientology claims to be a force for good, but its methods are little more than pseudo-science &/or total bunk, and it's "social betterment programs" are merely vehicles for furthering the goals of Scientology:
● Violent Kidnapping - Lisa McPherson was a Scientologist, was involved in a car accident & resultantly became mentally unstable. She was kidnapped from the hospital by agents of Scientology, held against her will, refused proper psychiatric treatment & allowed to STARVE TO DEATH.
News Coverage: http://www.factnet.org/Scientology/Lisa_McPherson_...
● Tragic Murder - A CBS “48 Hours” special on Jeremy Perkins, the mentally disturbed son of Scientologist parents who, because of the Scientology doctrine of opposing psychiatry, refused to put him on the anti-psychotic drugs that would have stabilized him & prevented him from killing his own mother.
Website: http://perkinstragedy.org/Source(s): An overview of Scientology (in my own words): http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=200808... Is Scientology a cult? Yes, & this is why: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=200706... Scientology in relation to God, Jesus and Christianity: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=200708... This is how they sell their cult to others: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=200705... http://xenu.net/ aka Operation Clambake http://clambake.org/ http://www.philosoraptor.com/scientology.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology http://www.modemac.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/An_Introduc... http://www.scientology-kills.org/ http://www.scientology-lies.com/whatswrong.html http://xenu.net/archive/leaflet/Xenu-Letter.pdf http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/OTIII/ http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Secrets/ http://www.watchman.org/sci/ http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Library/Shelf/atack/con... http://www.apologeticsindex.org/Bare%20Faced%20Mes... http://lisatrust.bogie.nl/scientology/essays/jeff-... http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/9363363... http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,9... Cult information - http://www.cultinformation.org.uk/faq.html#cult Official site - http://www.scientology.org/
- CynLv 61 decade ago
Ok here's a quick run down.
The man who discovered this religion was a failed fiction writer. In a moment you'll understand why.
I forget the reason but this alien overload collected all these aliens from different planets (I think there was overpopulation lol). Anyway he drops them into a volcano on earth but knowing that the souls would fly up into the sky and return to their planet (maybe even seek vengeance on the overlord) so he built this shield or something that trapped those souls onto our planet. The trapped souls where then ushered into a special viewing room where they were brainwashed into believing they were human and they were taught about different religions and what not.
Decade, centuries, millenniums later (idk and don't really care) Humans started to walk the earth. The souls of these dead aliens enter our bodies. So either we are reincarnated aliens or we're the meat puppet for an alien's soul.
It's incredibly hard to find info about Scientology without paying membership fees but southpark has an episode that breaks it down for you.
- zaatheistLv 71 decade ago
The guys raking in the money at Scientolmafia head office are not down on Scientilogy.
- RatZLv 61 decade ago
Do Tom Cruise and Jenna Elfman? It's an oppressive cult that kills people.
I feel bad for Travolta. I like the guy -- but he can't leave without getting outed. They blackmail you. (Yes, he's silly enough to believe people still believe he's heterosexual, and to care.)
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- 1 decade ago
I'm an Atheist, and *technically* every religion is a cult, if you go by sheer definition.
Scientology is evil, however. It's based on making money, and it brainwashes it's 'followers'. More so than the major religions.
- Anonymous1 decade ago
I don't know what you mean about been down... I like very much Scientology.
The best way to know about something is to observe to find more data about.
The best way will be to see directly the source and non to listen what other say about.
So you could see the official site and take your own opinion.Source(s): http://www.scientology.org/
- 1 decade ago
STAY AWAY FROM THESE PEOPLE.
It's an evil cult created with one purpose - making money . Its effects on believers are destructive - Check out a partial list of victims: http://whatstheharm.net/scientology.html
Please read about:
* Its blatantly illegal and immoral activities, as illustrated by Operation Snow White and Operation Freakout.
* Its "fair game" policy of harassing and destroying critics, as illustrated by the stories of Keith Henson, Frank Oliver and Paulette Cooper
* Its fatal abuse of its members, including Lisa McPherson, Heribert Pfaff, Josephus Havenith, and others
* Its brutal, illegal treatment of members who the Church considers in need of rehabilitation or punishment using private prisons
* Its tax-exempt status in the United States, which was gained by blackmailing the IRS
* Its practice of breaking up families
Read "the road to xenu" for an account of a girl who escaped scientology after 12 years! http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Library/Shelf/xenu/
The cult's core belief is that we are all reincarnated aliens, and all of our problems are because of other alien souls haunting our bodies. That's the big secret - but it's only revealed to scientologists after many years and over $300,000 - so most of them have no knowledge of it. Read the alien story yourself - in Hubbard's own handwriting: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/OTIII/
Everything about scientology is dishonest, from recruiting gullible folk using fake "personality tests", through collecting dirt on individuals using "auditing" in case they ever want to leave, to claiming everybody who criticizes them is a criminal, probably a child molester. See it in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es166Q3yNKo
- Anonymous1 decade ago
They're a bunch of raving lunatics who think we're all aliens.
Somehow, they've convinced a handful of Hollywood stars to join.
- 1 decade ago
Everyone isnt down on it, the people IN it are actually among the happiest people on the planet--but try to leave and then your question will be answered!
- ?Lv 51 decade ago
Because the Spirit of God isn't there. And if the Spirit of God isn't there it is because it is unclean. and if it is unclean it has not been covered by the blood of Christ, reconciled. And if it isn't reconciled it is not of God neither is it reconcilable.
If it isn't reconcilable then it is antichrist in nature and is a cult and is highly demonic. Not hat there isn't real deal spiritual inspirations, but they are demonic and not of the Spirit of God.
Many people don't consider spiritual influences, that are demonic, but only account them as being well just that spiritual. Most deaths that accrue in the lives of people have come through demonic influences that people come in contact with, through demonic control.
Mental disturbances, sex oppression obsessing urges perversion addictions. Have you noticed the movie Forest Gump? Jenny was influenced by a daddy who had a spirit that attached itself to her when she was just a little girl, and influenced her in all her decisions. When she finally came to her self she was dying, and died. This movie depicted real life decisions made by many in their personal lives. They are robbed of life and reap death and decay to everything they do, because of these demonic influencing their decisions.
Do you know why christians always talk about the anointing of the Spirit of God? Because the anointing of the Spirit the presence of the Spirit of God in most churches break the holds of demonic oppression and influences of demons in the lives of people.
The apparitions and noises and visitations of evil and wicked spirits are the happenings of the unclean things. You ever notice the influence the comes with some who say when they enter in, what's happening? Not all, some people just repeat what they think sounds cool or what is the norm. But with many who are influenced by demons have a different motive and apparitions that follow when they say , whats happening, what's up. Even when they laugh it is as the sound of thorns crackling and snapping in the fire very suggestive and influential because of the dark anointing they carry.
The tools that satan uses is Ouiji boards E.S.P.HOROSCOPES, FORTUNE TELLING, MEDIUMS, these are highly favored with the seducing spirits of satan 's bunch. Any one coming in contact with these wake up with desires birthed by the influences of demons. I have known people whose lives were destroyed by these tools and the influences they have from satan's realm.
Many are seduced by these devils and their lives become altered and unpredictable like a cancer eating away at the heart choking the life source out of them. Young people who are just beginning life are targeted, because they have no discretion. They have no taste for church where they are strengthened by good discretion spiritually speaking. The lust of the flesh and the desires of the flesh and mind are influenced by unclean spirits and their apparitions become their delights influencing their decisions. The man made for them is over looked, because of preconceived apparitions of what man will aid and harbor the influences of the damned.
What city one should live in where their new found taste for sex or some other apparition they are under its influence may be, makes them decide to live there or go here and do this or that. Like Jenny adventure adventure free sex is always a decisive influence. Dress this way or that way to get this or get that. With many they get wat they didn't bargain for because they were in a learning curve, and the curve to there life.
- 1 decade ago
It's just a fad. A few celebrities announced it's what they "believe", and since people will worship anything celebrities say no matter what it is, lots of silly people latched on. It will pass.