Army CAG/Delta Medic and 24th STS Pararescueman...?

Do they train together? Are they capable of doing each other's jobs? Do PJ's mainly just fly around in a CSAR helicopter waiting for something bad to happen but not going on the missions?

thanks after reading some stories i was just getting the impression that during operations they sit in helicopters just as backup.

so the Delta medics were crazier than the PJs you talked about? So Delta medics would be crazier than a PJ? I figured PJ's were crazy... So Delta operators are higher trained overall in many different skills and combat tactics?

Favorite Answer

I'm guessing you saw Black Hawk Down. Most of the time, PJs train within their own squadrons. I was in the 23rd STS, but I usually only trained with my team and a few others. However, I did some CSAR training with Delta a few times before Desert Storm & Bosnia and their unit surgeons are some of the best in the business. I didn't go on any operations with them, but another team in my squadron did and they said the Delta medics are crazy.

Most of the time, when you are assigned as CSAR, you sit on the ground and wait for something to happen. You can't really train while active operations are going on, in case of injuries. You can work out, go to the range, or do medical training , but not live fire. You need all of you guys primed and ready to go.

Answer to your update: You have to be at least a little crazy to go into Special Operations, but the D-Boys take the prize when it comes to getting the job done fast and right.

Source(s): 16 years in Air Force Special Tactics (1988-2004) as a Pararescue Specialist,

met a few pjs who were attached to sf teams, none of the missions they had us help them with were CSAR.

theyre under the same command (JSOC) so yes they would train together, theres really only so much you can do medical wise in a combat/hostile environment so both would be just as qualified to treat a patient. why fly around on helicopter wiating for something to happen? that just gives it a better chance that you are the one whos going to need recovering.