Megan asked in PetsRodents · 1 decade ago

how big does a gerbil tank (not cage) have to be?

im getting a gerbil and have to have a tank and not a cage. i don't care how tall it is, but i have cleared a space of 18 inches by 20. do i need bigger cos i do have a little bit more room. thank you

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

From experience I can honestly say an aquarium is the way to go on many levels.

First of all, as I have seen mentioned in previous answers, gerbils get really lonely without a friend. I know it sounds unrealistic but they will be much more happy, fun to watch, and active if you get two. Make sure they are the same sex and were born together. (introducing new gerbils can get messy)

But anyway, back to the tank. If you get two, make sure its bigger. 18 inches wide is fine but the longest tank possible is best. And tanks are the better choice because the shavings and stuff don't fall out of the cage and get everywhere and they are easy to clean.

Hope this helps!

--Also, make sure you clean the tank at least once a month--

• Login to reply the answers
  • Flipz
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Gerbils should live in pair so make sure you get two. A 15 or 20 gallon long tank makes a great cage for 2 gerbils. The rule of thumb is 10 gallons for the first gerbil and 5 for every other. Some people may say 10 gallons per gerbil.

• 1 decade ago

Definitely clear some more space. That's only just barely big enough for a 10 gallon, which is waaaay too small to house one full grown gerbil, let alone multiples--and they SHOULD be kept in groups. They are VERY SOCIAL animals and do not do great alone. The minimum I would keep a pair in is a 20 gallon LONG, and you should still try to work some shelf-type structures in to utilize any height.

Gerbils are the ONLY small pets I can condone keeping in glass tanks, although i think a wire cage with a high sided litter box around it to catch any mess is a better option. Make sure you have a SCREEN lid and keep the cage in a well ventilated room.

• 3 years ago

Even with out pondering length (that's in basic terms too small, besides), the tank is the extra suited selection. Gerbils are diggers, and the tank facilitates that quite extra effective than a cage could (not something can fly out). make particular to furnish your gerbils relaxing issues to play with (paper lunch bags, paper towel rolls, a secure wheel) and that they ought to be positive!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Make sure it is tall enough if you are going to be using a tank. Also make sure there is a secure structural top to avoid the pet from escaping. Also tanks do not create enough air circulation, so a air system would be necessary. Also the tank will need to be cleaned more often then a cage, the odors and bacterias can cause your pet to get sick. It is not healthy for them to sit in it all day.

• 1 decade ago

gerbils dig and tunnel, pouring their bedding all over the floor. An aquarium is best, and if u want them to be able to climb you can just add a climbing-toy. That size ^^ should be good for like 2-4 gerbils. Always keep them in groups, they are social!

<3 enjoy your gerrrrbils :)

Source(s): animal lover
  • 1 decade ago

no that sould be fine but i suggest getting a cage not a tank. they like to clib on the cage walls.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.