Why are people so damn rude it makes me sick?

I work in a call centre. When the phone rings it seems as if I expected to know that customers life story when they call. Two examples today have made seriously consider resigning as I am just sick of this sort of tolerated abuse. Management suggest that they are having a go at the company and not you personally... show more I work in a call centre. When the phone rings it seems as if I expected to know that customers life story when they call. Two examples today have made seriously consider resigning as I am just sick of this sort of tolerated abuse. Management suggest that they are having a go at the company and not you personally but in most cases, it TURNS into an INDIRECT attack against you for being able to do nothing about.

Example: A woman called in and claimed she had spoken to someone about cancelling her policy and there was a fee. She asked if this could be wavere. To give you a heads up, all of this is explain prior to recieving the insurance but she claimed she got it online. It details IN FULL online the terms and conditions as well as the privacy policy which ALL CUSTOMERS are required to read before agreeing to purchase the insurance. I understand that some people don't read the terms and conditions but when those ters and conditions are pointed out and you realize that you DO NOT have a leg to stand on, you should just accept it with grace. This is how the conversation went.

ME: Good Afternoon. (Company) Insurance, (My name) speaking. How may I help you?

Customer: I have just been speaking to one of your colleagues and they claim that I have to pay a cancellation fee for my policy. Is this true?

ME: Yes. It's one months premium, unless you're in the 14 day cancellation period.

Customer: That's a con isn't it?

ME: I can have a look and see what the situation is on your policy if you like?

Customer: YES you do that- I'm actually quite busy. This is just silly!

ME: Okay I can see your coming to the end of your policy year and so the cancellation fee does apply.

Customer: WHAT?! Oh for goodness, can't you just waive the cancellation fee. I've paid enough money to your company.

ME: Unfortunately it..

Customer: WELL UNFORTUNATELY I'M GOING TO COMPLAIN TO THE FINANCIAL OMBUDSMAN AND UNFORTUNATELY I'M NOT PAYING IT AND I WANT TO CANCEL AND UNFORTUNATELY YOU CAN'T FORCE ME TO DO ANYTHING AND UNFORTUNATELY I'M NOT PAYING FOR THE REST OF THIS POLICY AND UNFORTUNATELY I'M GOING TO COMPLAIN YOU PERSONALY FOR BEING SO UNHELPFUL! DO NOT CONTACT ME AGAIN! I'M NEVER USING YOUR COMPANY AGAIN!

ME: Madam if - (she hung up!)

I was really annoyed with her. She took her anger out completely out on me and claimed she was going to complain about me personaly for doing my job. She completely spoke down to me and treated me like a dogsbody and didn't acknowledge the fact that I was being polite or that I was trying to help her or anything, she just shouted at me, insulted me and then hung up.

Example 2: A man calls to make an ammendment on his policy. It turned out he had an expired policy as he hadn't renewed.

(Introduction stage over)

Customer: Hi, I'd like to ammend XYZ on my policy.

ME: Ok. One moment please..

(2 moments later..)

ME: Er sir, your policy has expired.

Customer: No it hasn't.

(Pause)

Me: According to our system, the policy expired in September.

Customer: No it hasn't.

ME: I'm afraid it has Sir.

Customer: What?

ME: I'm afraid the policy expired in September.

Customer: (In a low, husky, angry voice) If your telling me i've been driving around without no insurance, i'll go off my rocker.

ME: I've afraid it's true Sir! Two letter was sent to your home address for a renewal and from our records there was no response.

Customer: HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST THIS IS MY FAULT?

ME: Sorry?

Customer: YOU IMBECILE! GET ME THE MANAGER NOW! I WANT THE MANAGER NOW!

ME: Sir could you please lower your tone?

CUSTOMER: MANAGER NOW!!!!!!

ME: Sir, I will get you the manager but could you-

Customer: GET ME THE MANAGER! MANAGER! MANAGER! MANAGER! MANAGER! (Inaudible, something about a manager).

ME: I can't hear you Sir!

Customer: What's your name? Oh forget it, i'll call someone else to get me the manager.

(Hangs up).

Surely I don't have to put up with this abuse. If I was physically/verbally abused as train staff on a train, the passenger would get kicked off. Surely, I don'thave to take this just because the customer is on the other end of the phone.

Sorry for it being so long!!