Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 10 years ago

how do i keep my cat from peeing on my bed when she's stressed out?

She's a 4-yr-old spayed long-haired domestic cat. She'll refrain from doing this for ages, then will do it several times over the course of a couple weeks. She seems to do it when my 5-yr-old greatniece visits, or when we haven't scooped the litter boxes that day. Otherwise, she's a fine cat, loves to play and chase the other cats, is healthy (maybe a little too healthy - she's a big girl), doesn't have any problems with the other cats at all. She didn't do it when we introduced a new cat to our family. We're at our wit's end.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Best Answer

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pets...

Cats sometimes engage in a behavior called urine spraying or urine marking. The cat stands, backs up to an object, holds his tail up erect and quivering, and releases urine out backwards onto the object. The urine sprayed differs chemically from the urine cats normally release from a squatting position because it also contains oily secretions from the anal glands. Sprayed urine is extremely pungent. Some people describe it as smelling like ammonia; others say it has a heavy musky odor. Cats occasionally spray from a squatting position.

Why do cats spray urine? They spray during territorial disputes, during aggressive conflicts, and during sexual encounters. The majority of cats who spray just do their spraying outside. They advertise their presence in a territory by spraying visually conspicuous sites. Cats “time share” territories, so the marks enable the cats to space themselves out so that they don’t often meet. Some cats spray urine inside their homes. Often indoor spraying results from conflicts between cats in the home or from the resident cat feeling threatened by outside cats.

Most often, cats who spray are reproductively intact males (toms) but females do sometimes spray. Neutering is the most effective way to curb spraying in a tomcat. In one study, 77 percent of cats stopped or significantly reduced spraying within six months of being neutered. Neutered cats can spray as well. Ten percent of male cats neutered before 10 months of age will still spray as adults. In households with numerous cats, at least one cat will likely spray, even if all the cats are neutered.

WHAT TO DO:

- Neuter or spay the spraying cat.

- Identify the reasons why your cat may be spraying. For instance, if your cat is reacting to the sight of cats outside, block your cat’s view. If your cat is reacting to the scent of cats outside, possibly through a screen door or from odors on your shoes, prevent your cat from coming into contact with these scents. Keep the door closed and remove shoes outside, before entering the home.

- Discourage cats from hanging around outside your house. Motion-activated devices, such as the Critter Gitter™, the Scarecrow™, or the Scraminal™, all function to frighten outdoor cats away. The Scat Mat™ and the Sofa Saver™ can be used to keep outdoor cats away from doors and windows.

- If your cat is spraying in one or a few locations, you can make these areas less appealing, using some type of booby trap, such as Ssscat™. Ssscat™ is a motion-activated device that sprays the cat with a harmless but unpleasant aerosol. Alternatively, you can put out an “unwelcome mat” for the cat by placing foil, plastic wrap, or upside-down vinyl carpet runner where your cat sprays. Be aware that cats often just choose a new spot to spray.

- You can also try eliciting a different behavior in the sprayed locations. Place items that stimulate behaviors incompatible with spraying, such as the food dish or toys, in the spots.

- You can try placing a litter box in each location. If the cat is spraying on the wall beside the litter box, try attaching a liner on the wall and drape it down into the box. Should the cat spray there, the urine at least will drip down into the box.

- Spray Feliway™ in the areas where your cat is spraying. Feliway™ is a synthetic pheromone designed to elicit calm, friendly behavior in cats. Research supports the claim that Feliway™ reduces indoor urine spraying.

- If the spraying is due to conflict among resident cats, you should seek counsel on resolving the conflict. You may need to separate the cats or at least isolate the spraying cat until you are able to restore harmony. If this is not possible, re-homing to reduce your numbers may be the only viable solution. A spraying cat might not spray at all in a new home with fewer cats.

- Drug therapy can help resolve a spraying problem. There are numerous medications that have been demonstrated to be effective in individual cases—e.g., the Benzodiazepines (i.e. Valium), other anti-anxiety drugs (i.e. Clomipramine or BuSpar), or progestins.

- Make sure you clean sprayed areas with an enzymatic cleanser designed to eliminate odors.

- If you can do so safely, allowing the cat to spend time outside sometimes results in the cat spraying outside the home rather than inside. Building a large wire enclosure for the cat outside may be sufficient to stimulate him to spray outdoors.

WHAT NOT TO DO:

- Do not punish the cat by hitting, spanking, or slapping for spraying. Similarly, do not take the cat to the area and admonish him. This might well teach the cat to be afraid of you. The cat may actually spray more if he is stressed by the punishment.

• 10 years ago

You've already done a lot by figuring out that there are 2 situations that SEEM to trigger this.

1) The greatniece may or may have hurt this cat. Use the opportunity to teach her how to be nice to animals or to ignore her. Of course, when you know she'll visit and if it's not for too long, scoop the litterbox and lock the cat in that room.

2) Scoop the box every morning. I have mine in the master bath and scoop it right before my shower.

3) Get a second litterbox in another area. Scoop both daily, but if you forget, she'll (maybe) try the other.

• Linda
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Last year my beautiful Manx cat Theodore went out for the evening and never came back. I love cats and the house didn't feel the same without one, so I picked up Lola from a rescue centre. She was very frightened and would pee all over the house. I found Cat Spraying No More� on the internet and the techniques worked almost immediately. I haven't had a problem with Lola since. Amazing!

Can't stop your cat peeing in the house? Then worry no more...

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

She may have something wrong with her. Our cat Kiki, was a good cat she never did any peeing in the house, only in the litterbox. Then for a few weeks she was peeing EVERYWHERE in front of us!

We didn't think anything of it,because she was acting fine, like not sick or anything. We thought was probably mad about something, since we are always bringing new pets into the family, it would take her a while to get used to them, so we thought that might be it. But then she started peeing and crying and we noticed the urine was discolored, she ended up having a bladder infection.

So maybe she should just go to the vet just to get checked, just in case. And then perhaps they will have some tips on how to control you from peeing on the bed.

Or if you don't think it's anything like Kiki's problem, I would maybe just not let her in the bedroom for a few days after she does pee on the bed, maybe she'll get the hint.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Bridey
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

I assume you've had her checked for a UTI, if not, you should rule that out.

When your greatniece visits, give your cat an extra litter box in your bedroom. She's likely using your room as a sanctuary room away from the people. As for the litter box not being scooped...maybe you should try a littermaid system. It scoops itself. If you get into the habit of cleaning the boxes twice a day at the same time it becomes easier to do. This should be fairly easy to resolve because you know the causes. You just have to provide her with options.

Source(s): Mom to 6 fabulous felines
  • ?
    Lv 4
    10 years ago

Whatever you do, don't listen to the advice that says squirting the cat with a watter bottle is the answer. As you can imagine, that creates even more stress, making her think you are now her enemy. If anything you need to show her more affection and pay more attention to her when your greatniece visits. Schedule some private playtime with your cat and your grandniece,then try to keep the two of them apart when possible.

You can also make your bed less attractive by covering it with some plastic carpet runners that have small, soft "spikes" on the bottom for gripping the carpet. Turn these upside-down on your bed and she won't walk on them.

As far as reducing stress, I have found chemical warfare effective. Use natural cat pheremones secreted by the facial glads to relax her.

I have two housecats, male and female (both neutered). The larger male likes to act the "dominant male" which stresses the female to the point that she won't use the litter box. She uses the rug instead!

I tried "Comfort Zone with Feliway," a couple of diffusers that work like Glade plug-in air fresheners. The Feliway is a synthetic version of a cat’s pheremones from the facial glands. The chemical message is that of a "happy kitty" who has rubbed her face on the wall. It is a chemical signal used by cats to tell each other that the area is safe. It relaxes cats and reduces stress. I’ve been using it for 2 weeks (they say it takes a month for full effect) and I’ve noticed calmer cats, less stress and fewer incidents of "thinking outside-the-box."

Just do an Amazon search for "Comfort Zone with Feliway" and you’ll find it for sale. There is also Feliway spray for faster results and to spray on your cat carrier for easier trips to the vet. It only lasts about 12 hours, where the diffuser is a constant source of the pheremone in one room. You'll need to place one diffuser in every room your cat spends a lot of time in (2 in larger rooms). You won't smell anything and the pheremones don't affect humans.

I first heard about this product from my vet who highly recommended it. She even sprays a little on her lab coat, along with a similar product for dogs, before she starts work. She says it helps calm nervous animals. It certainly worked on my cat. She snuggled right into the vet's lab coat and let the vet do all kinds of things to her. I'm a believer!

• 10 years ago

Short answer is to shut your door. Give her a place to hide from your 5 year old great niece. Maybe you could shut her in a spare room until the child leaves.

• 10 years ago

every time she does it go pee in her bed until she gets the hint

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.