sher asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

is cooking spray sufficient for safely cooking meat?

I bought PAM Original cooking spray and it's worked nicely for omelettes, but i haven't dared try cooking meats with it, because according to my roommate, to properly cook meat, regular oil, and lots of it, is needed. I just want to know if this is true, and if it's healthy and safe to saute meats in a non stick pan using cooking spray. Will the meat be thoroughly cooked?

Favorite Answer

Lots of oil is never needed to cook anything unless you're deep frying. Safety has nothing to do with it though, it's more about the quality and ease in cooking the meat. You don't say what kind of meat, but I would never recommend a cooking spray to cook meats unless maybe you're cooking turkey bacon or a turkey burger. Beef burgers don't need anything as they have enough fat content for cooking. Many other meats should be cooked with (depending on size or how many chops, etc.) a few tablespoons of maybe canola oil, or a light olive oil. More oil would be required, as I said, for deep frying, or even frying breaded fish or chicken fillets.

Your roommate is incorrect. You can safely use a small amount of oil, Pam or any other non-stick cooking spray to cook meat. Just make sure your cooking pan is very hot prior to adding oil, etc., then put in the meat. A small amount of oil added to a very hot pan almost instantly becomes very

hot oil. The oil quickly sears the outside of the food and causes water to be released from the food. This layer of water vapor ("steam") lifts the food atop the oil film and keeps it from touching the hot pan surface. If the oil is not hot enough, the steam effect will not occur and the food will fuse to the (too) cool pan surface.

• ?

My grandmother did it all the time. She would put the chicken in the oven at about 09:30 in the morning and cook it til 13:00 in time for lunch. The chicken had a lovely taste, it was always moist and tender and just fell off the bone. I ate that every Saturday for as long as I can remember and I'm still alive and was never ill from it, so it must be safe. Just make sure the meat is fully cooked through.

basically, the cooking spray is a mixture of fats/oils to help you prepare meals (when used for baking - to prevent the pastries etc. sticking to the form or baking pan). So it doesn't really matter, if it's oil or spray, as long as it's used wisely. :)

I personally don't like the sprays, since they're completed with chemicals (not dangerous, at least according to producers, but still - don't like too many chemicals with my food). I use small amounts of olive or vegetable oil, if just frying (i spread the oil on the pan with a brush), or small amounts of butter evenly spread over the form/baking pan/ aluminium foil when baking (if want to make extra sure, that stuff don't stick, I also put a bit of breadcrumbs over butter).

Hope your cooking will work out smoothly! ;)

Its the heat of the pan that determines if meats are cooked thoroughly. Pam is good to cook meats, and it depends what kind of meat you are cooking.

Nope. Definitely not true. You don't need a bunch of oil to cook meat, You can cook meat on a grill with no oil at all, right? Just heat,... Just meat and heat,... Simple right? Sounds like your roommate is tryin' to fatten you up so she can steal your boyfriend... Women can be so cruel!!!!... But!... I have heard that you can kill your pet bird if you heat up a non-stick pan past 350 degrees. It can exude gasses that that are undetectable to humans but kill avian creatures. Vagina's ROCK!!!... I'm out...

Your roommate is totally wrong. It is totally safe and preferred by cooking and health experts. Spray your pan lightly and saute as you would normally. I also use cooking spray when I broil meat. It makes the broiling pan easier to clean.

Cooking spray works well on meats, fish and chicken, just be sure to use a non-stick skillet that has been heated to at least medium to medium high heat.

Your roomate has NO idea what they arer talking about.

Fat has NOTHING to do wil how a piece of meat cooks thru or not. You can steam (NO extra fat), boil, bake, bbq-grill, etc... meats.

HEAT is what makes food cook all the way thru Not how much oil etc...is added.

Source(s): Really why can't people just use thier heads.

your roomate talks rubbish,you dont even need oil to cook meat,all the oil does is prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan,when you BQ meat you dont use oil