How strongly is Dracula Copy -Written?

My brother and I (Both Stokers) have come up with a good novel based on Dracula as a background character and other characters linked to him. We don't know if we're related to Bram Stoker or not, but I was wondering if it is okay to release the draft out to look for publishing, or if the usage of Dracula is forbidden? I know Bram Stoker's wife had a huge law suit going on with movie rights and so forth to Dracula. True many movies have been made with Dracula, and I am sure the movie makers didnt go thru lawyers to obtain the rights of usage of the character. So is Dracula SO COPYWRITED that I'd have to have permission from the proven Granddaughter of Bram Stoker and so forth to be able to use the character?

If it were that easy to just write about Dracula, then why aren't there about a million different Dracula books out there by other writers?

Update:

So if a publishing company takes my book they will handle the copy writes?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It is that easy to write about Dracula. There is no copyright on the character or the book itself.

The novel has been in the public domain in the United States since its original publication because Stoker failed to follow proper copyright procedure. In the United Kingdom and other countries following the Berne Convention on copyrights, however, the novel was under copyright until April 1962, fifty years after Stoker's death.[7] When F. W. Murnau's unauthorized film adaptation Nosferatu was released in 1922, the popularity of the novel increased considerably, owing to the controversy caused when Stoker's widow tried to have the film banned.[8]

Because of the Stokers' frustrating history with Dracula's copyright, a great-grandnephew of Bram Stoker, novelist Dacre Stoker, with encouragement from screenwriter Ian Holt, decided to write "a sequel that bore the Stoker name" to "reestabish creative control over" the original novel. In 2009, Dracula: The Un-Dead was released, written by Dacre Stoker and Ian Holt. Both writers "based on Bram Stoker's own handwritten notes for characters and plot threads excised from the original edition" as well as their own research for the sequel.[9][10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dracula

Like Frankenstein, Dracula has inspired many literary tributes or parodies, including Stephen King's Salem's Lot, Kim Newman's Anno Dracula, Fred Saberhagen's The Dracula Tape, Wendy Swanscombe's erotic parody Vamp, Dan Simmons's Children of the Night, and Robin Spriggs's The Dracula Poems: A Poetic Encounter with the Lord of Vampires. Loren D. Estleman's novel The Case of the Sanguinary Count pits Dracula against that equally venerable Victorian-era character Sherlock Holmes, as does Fred Saberhagen's The Holmes-Dracula File. In Jim Butcher's novel Grave Peril, Dracula is mentioned (under the name "Drakul") by the character Harry Dresden as being "still in eastern Europe when we last checked". Caitlín R. Kiernan's short fiction has drawn upon Dracula a number of times — most notably in "Emptiness Spoke Eloquent" (which follows the lonely life of Mina Harker after the vampire's death), "The Drowned Geologist", and "Stoker's Mistess."

In The Diaries of the Family Dracul, a trilogy by Jeanne Kalogridis, Vlad's relationship with his mortal descendants is explored, as are the specific terms of his vampiric curse and his pact with the Romanian peasants who serve him. The novels are written in epistolary form, and the story is intertwined with that of Stoker's novel, expanding on minor characters and details from the Dracula mythos.

Elizabeth Kostova's 2005 novel The Historian follows several historians, whose research has led them too close to Dracula, as they hunt the vampire across Europe.

In the book series Vampire Hunter D which takes place ten thousand years in the future, D's adversary Count Magnus discovers that D is the son of Dracula, the Sacred Ancestor. D also nearly states this during a psychological attack in the second volume, Raiser of Gales.

Freda Warrington's Dracula the Undead is an unofficial sequel to Dracula.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dracula_in_popular_cu...

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Dracula is an 1897 novel by Irish author Bram Stoker, and the name of its title character, the vampire Count Dracula. The Dead Un-Dead was one of Stoker's original titles for Dracula, and up until a few weeks before publication, the manuscript was titled simply The Un-Dead. The name of Stoker's count was originally going to be Count Vampyre, but while doing research Stoker ran across an intriguing word in the Romanian language: "Dracul", meaning "Dragon". There was also a historic figure known as Vlad the Impaler, but whether or not Stoker based his character on him remains debated but is now considered unlikely.

• jj
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

It matters not it you are related to the original author. What you need is permission from the copyright holder.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.