I plan to move to Hollywood this summer. Thoughts?

I plan to move to Hollywood this summer.

Only for a couple of months, of course.

I plan on just going there via Greyhound Bus.

I don't know anybody there. No connections.

I want to become an actor. I have a novel and a screenplay, too. Yes, I know this dream is typical and cliche but how can I survive?

Should I get an agent? How do I get an agent?

I also want to model, too, and I really think I have potential.

Anyone ever do this before? I live in a small town that's only 15,000-17,000 population...

Favorite Answer

There are no jobs in LA right now, and summer will be worse due to kids looking for summer jobs. It's been really bad for inexperienced and teen workers because adults who have been laid off from better jobs have been taking the low pay jobs. Best to come out here with enough cash in a Bank America account (lots of ATMs) to live off of for those months and not expect to find a job.

We don't have very good public transportation, so you have to consider it will take you a long time to get around here, because LA is so spread out.

Check airfares and Amtrak as they may be the same cost as Greyhound. Keep checking airfares for deals. The cheapest way to stay in LA is in a hostel, a dorm bed might be about $20 a day. http://www.hostels.com/ or Google: Hostel, Los Angeles Look at the FAQ, and book in advance, or you may very likely not have a place to stay. Bad idea.

Modeling: Google: Model Agency, City (the largest city near you). Look at the agency websites for Become a Model or something like that, follow their directions about sending in a photo. They will let you know if they are interested in you. LA really isn't the place for modeling, much more going on in NY.

Writing: That's great that you've written a script and novel! But unless you've rewritten your script 5 times and removed half of what you originally wrote, it isn't ready to show to an agent. Writing is Re-Writing. (And rewriting and rewriting...) You should show your writing to a professional to critique it before showing it to an agent. Agents only make money if they can sell your work, so they don't want to spend their time on inexperienced clients. You need some amazing polished writing to get a legit agent. You don't get many second chances, and a bad novel or script will be remembered and your future work won't be looked at seriously. Also, you really should have 3 scripts before you pitch, because if the producer says Hate it! What else you got? you better have 2 other scripts to show them. You don't get many chances to pitch, and right now unless you've got credits, you won't be able to pitch a spec script. You don't have to be in LA to sell a script.

If you're serious about screenwriting, come out in October for the Screenwriting Expo: http://www.screenwritingexpo.com/

Look at my post for good books on screenwriting and free software: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=200811...

Acting: If you're in your early 20's or younger, there is a lot more competition at summer auditions because some parents only allow their kids to audition during summer, and when you're in college it's tough to miss class for an audition, so you audition during the summer. If you don't have acting experience, get into a good acting class right away to see if you would even be remotely ready to audition for an agent and go on casting auditions by summer. Often actors take private coaching to prepare for an agent audition, it's that important. Legit agents don't want to handle more actors than they can do a good job for, and they don't make money unless they book jobs for actors, so they need to represent actors they know will work. The competition just from local actors is tough, many have been in acting lessons since they were 7, have connections, experience and talent. So be prepared!

If you really want to act, why not learn close to home, work in some student or small independent films and build up a resume, get an agent, and come out next summer when you're more prepared? Look at local colleges to see where there is a film program that might need actors for student films.

But, if you are determined to come out here this summer, than come out here with the expectation that nothing is going to happen as far as your acting/modeling/writing career, but you're going to have fun and see if LA is right for you.

Good luck!

1

Source(s): Make Money Writing http://givitry.info/WritingJobsOnline

2

Source(s): Survival Methods http://givitry.info/SurviveAlmostAnything
  • packer

Moving To Hollywood

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Only for a couple of months, of course.

I want to become an actor. I have a novel and a screenplay, too. Yes, I know this dream is typical and cliche...

Source(s): plan move hollywood summer thoughts: https://biturl.im/zpFMr

If you REALLY want to be an actor, make your own movie at home. Use that screenplay you've written as a basis. Get some of your friends to help you film it. Get it edited, copyrighted, and burned to DVD. Send the DVD's to agents in the LA metro area. This will be less hazardous to your sanity and health than actually moving to LA, and much less expensive.

Do a Google search for talent agents.

There's a name for kids like you down at the bus depot. It's "Fresh Meat".

Coming to LA to "pursue your dream as an actor"? It's a stupid idea. And I can say that because I live here, and see the consequences of the thousands of young people with the same idea, all because they had to "pursue their dream". Trouble is, 99.99% of them come here unprepared, unrealistic, with no money, no experience, no skills, and no plan.

You seem to be under the fantasy/delusion that you can just show up in "Hollywood" and be "discovered". That's a myth. A fantasy. NEVER happens. EVER. And the fact that you say you're "moving to Hollywood" tells me you don't know what the h3ll you're doing. Hollywood isn't a great place to move. The crime is terrible.

Want to know how people get "discovered"? It doesn't just happen overnight:

1. Go as much experience as you can. That means practice, practice, practice, every day. Most people don't have the discipline to be any good. And this also means that you sign up for every singing workshop, musical theater production, and drama/singing camp that you can find.

2. Next, you need contacts. By doing step 1, you'll start to get contacts. You need them in this town. Because the way you get a contract is when someone in the music or movie business hears about you. And they aren't going to sit in every karaoke bar in Hollywood to find you. (It's too painful, much like the opening rounds of American Idol).

3. You need an agent. Because your agent will have your demo, your head shot, and he/she's the one with contacts in this industry. Your agent is the one that gets the casting calls. Your agent can set up the gigs in the really high profile places.

4. You need money. Money to stay in LA while all this is going on. Money for workshops, camps, and classes while you improve your craft. Let's do the math, shall we?

Unless you have mad skills and a killer resume, you'll make minimum wage, which is currently $8 per hour. If you are lucky enough to get 40 hours per week, that's 320 per week, or $1280 gross per month. And that's BEFORE taxes. Take home is probably $910. Now it's a hard economic fact that you should spend around 1/3 of your salary on rent or mortgage. One third of $910 is about $300, which is what you can afford. However, the average rent for a studio/bachelor/single apartment is about $1000, and a 1BR is about $1200. In order to afford that, you need to make at least $3000 per month. Looks like you're a little short.

Expecting to come to LA and be discovered is unrealistic, and I'm sorry to say, pathetic. Feel free to come visit and enjoy the sights. But generally takes months to make the right contacts so that you can get in on an open mic night or an audition.

Sure, LOTS of people come out here. You know what happens to teens when they come out here? Many come here on the bus, with high hopes, some pocket money, no plan, and are doomed to failure. The Greyhound Bus depot downtown is the pimp and perv capital of the universe. Every day, runaways are "helped" by these people. They will give you a "free" place to stay, offer you some food, usually some pot or drugs, and all is well at first. Then you find out how "free" all that stuff is. They have you in their house, you have nowhere else to go, and that's how many runaways wind up as sex slaves. Somehow you never earn quite enough to pay your pimp, let alone enough to strike out on your own. Your pimp holds all "your" money for you. They just busted up a ring out in the valley, where dozens of teens were freed from virtual slavery. And frankly, those were the lucky ones. Too many wind up in the clutches of some sicko, lured by the promise of a free place to stay. Some get their 15 seconds of fame, on the 6:00 news. They're the ones covered up under the white sheet.

If you wanted help, you got the best advice anyone can give you at this point. What you choose to do with it is up to you.

If you want a more detailed answer on how to get into acting, there’s a guy in the Arts & Humanities > Theater & Acting forum named Truthteller59 who tells it like it is.

not very bright idea

greyhound service is the worst

i have a load of horror stories with greyhound...

you should start in at your school and take drama or creative writing at school or college in your

area

too many (about 10,000 people try to come here to become actor and about at 50 % end up

the morgue or doing prostitution

You're living in a dream world. You don't just come here and get recognized.