W
W asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Do you feel bad leaving 30 million Americans without health insurance?

As part of patriotism, shouldn't an American want to help a fellow American out? Does it not bother you that roughly 30 million people don't have health insurance? I just would like some genuine, well-thought out answers, no silly arguing or insulting. Because so far...the only thing I've heard as a rebuttal to Obama's health care reform plans is "I don't want the government getting in my business" or "Too much government spending!".

Looking at the issue ethically and morally, how do you feel about it? And if you disagree with Obama's health care plan, please share your thoughts as to what you would alternatively do.

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Favorite Answer

Sure I want to help my fellow Americans out. But illegal aliens, who are included in those 30 million people you cite, are NOT Americans and they should not be allowed to participate in our health care system, with or without subsidies.

People who object to Obama's health care plan are not just objecting to government getting into their "business" or excessive government spending. If you give Obama a bill, almost any bill, he can modify it the next day via an executive order. No illegal aliens? They're in. Too much government spending and control? More spending and control.

You know the old saying: Be careful what you wish for....

Congress should pass a bill that prohibits insurance companies from excluding coverage for previously existing conditions and from denying coverage for policy holders whose premium payments are current. It should go from there, with the proviso that the legislation cannot be modified by executive orders. That would probably not stop Obama, but it would clearly show that he and/or future presidents do not care about the will of the people.

I understand where you are coming from, but I'm sorry, I just do not trust our government and I do believe that the quality of our health care will lessen, also I do not think that it is right that people should have to pay for others health care, I mean we are talking A LOT of money here. I have bills to pay too, I can;t afford anyone else's. But, I do believe that Something needs to be done. And I understand that the poor need insurance, however those who already have it should not have their own insurance messed with, of course Obama says it won't be, but I don';t believe that for a second. If only there were a way for the poor to be insured without it having to effect every single person in the entire country. I also feel that even the poor should have to pay something, even if its not much, perhaps based off a sliding scale, every little bit would help with huge costs. But Obama will get his bill, and then the poor will have low quality health care and it will will lessen the quality of those who already have it too. So in the end, we will all have crappy health care. I wish there were a fair solution, but I don;'t think there really is one.

• Alice

Before the first dollar is spent on Illegals we must take care of Americans and those here legally. Giving any benefits to those who are criminals by entering illegally is wrong. They are not cheap labor, they cost us more in health care, school programs, signage, special needs programs. Where I work they had Americans working at $12.00 an hour with benefits, all those Americans were laid off. My company employees almost all illegals that received amnesty a few yeas ago at $7.00 an hour without benefits. There is a visiting counselor who comes to help them receive all sorts of free benefits given to them by this county. Most of these people drive very nice cars and have stylish clothes, most of them have family member that work for cash only jobs that pay no taxes. Anything purchase or money spent in this county by them is off set by the tremendous amount of money they receive in social and government programs paid for by the Americans that have had their jobs taken from them. If it had not been for all those illegals coming here many thousand of job would still be open to Americans at a living wage with benefits.

J, in no way is it the government's responsibility to provide anyone with money taken from somebody else's pocket. It is the entitlement mentality that will ruin this country.

It has absolutely nothing to do with patriotism. If I decide on my own to give someone healthcare then that is fine. If I am coerced by the State to provide someone with healthcare then the State becomes tyrannical. I cannot escape it. The Federal Government has specific powers granted it by the constitution. They are not unlimited. Taking money from one pocket and giving it to another is stealing, plain and simple.

Over 20 million of these "uninsured" could easily be if that was their priority. But this would mean not buying that new car, or having to stop getting lattes every morning. The vast majority are younger citizens who easily can access cheap insurance...but just don't. Beer's more important I guess.

And what do these people say: Just enact Universal Health Care, so they can still have someone else pay for their insurance, just like mommy and daddy.

Time to grow-up.

• ginger

Depends on the circumstances. My daughter is young, doesn't make much money, but she gets the health insurance offered by her employer. Most of the other young people at her work choose not to get the insurance. They're too used to mom and dad taking care of them, too lazy to read through the insurance information, and they'd rather spend their money on bar hopping night after night. Why should I feel bad for them? The insurance is cheap! I also don't feel sorry for illegals who could be getting socialized medicine in their own countries. (The Canadian healthcare system does not cover non-residents, btw. Are they barbarians?) I feel bad for people who get sick, but I don't feel bad if they waited until after they got sick to try to get insurance. It's like trying to get auto insurance after an accident.

• Bruno

ethically and morally speaking do you remember the story of the little red hen and how nobody helped her make the bread but everyone wanted to eat it? this is the same thing. If I work why is that I should pay for someone else to have the same benefits I've worked for. I agree that people shouldn't be barred from coverage for pre existing conditions. but to say Johnny can't afford health care let's all pitch in and buy him some is one thing but to say you are going to be responsible for his health care premiums is wrong. I work very hard for what I have and for the President to say thank you for working now let me take your money because Joe the plummber needs health care is flat out theivery in my opinion. if that goes down I want to be everyone else and not work for the bread. I just want to eat it

• Jack

Not so much - the genuinely destitute are taken care of from my observations. Have you ever seen anyone kicked out of an ER?

I'm sacrificing... not gonna do a root canal, implant, or dental work because I can't afford it. And I don't think you owe me it either. I'll get another job and maybe get the implant next year.

No colonoscopy, no physicals... still paying for the $170 dr visit just to get a singulair prescription.. sheesh.. I hate it! BUT I don't expect the gov't or you to pay for MY medical crap. It's my fault beacause I don't have dental insurance... and should I expect YOU to pay for me? I don't think so.. my gov't is so badly in debt already, to add 300 million people to an inefficient beaurocracy already mishandling almost every entitlement... no sir...

• imaxkr

I choose not to have "health insurance" and pay cash for needed services. We have set aside $400 a month into an emergency fund for years. We have yearly check ups and routine visits that we pay as we go. Our fund is now up to about $250K (amazing what compounding interest can do).

We gave more to charity last year, as a percentage of income, than both the President and Vice President combined. The local children's hospital is a major recipient.

No, it does NOT bother me at all! Health insurance is a choice, a purchase, not a right. And Insurance companies are not charities and should not have to be. Some regulation? maybe, but Managed by the Government who can't run a lemonade stand? NO WAY!!!!!

Source(s): I owe nothing to these people. They need to get their own Health insurance and dump their cell phones and big screen TVs