Caysters asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 decade ago

Causes of missed period other than pregnancy?

I've been on birth control, that seasonique stuff, for almost a year now, because of irregularity. I haven't been taking it the last two weeks for whatever reason. Have not had sex since quitting the pill, Im not that stupid and don't want a baby. However, since quitting about two weeks ago, I haven't had my period. I am very certain I cannot be pregnant because the pill is not the only form of birth control we use and I make sure to take it every day and around the same time. We also use condoms with spermicidal lube and, yes I know it's not the best form of birth control, but he even pulls out as well. So there really is like, a super super slim chance of ALL forms failing at the same time.

I've read about stress and weight and stuff like that causing a missed period. But I don't feel Im too overweight or too stressed/anxious or anything like that to have it cause me to miss my period. But I don't know.

Anyway, here is what happened recently that may have caused it...

I recently stopped taking antidepressants. I was on Prozac and Abilify and Seroquel (for sleep) I haven't taken any in a while, maybe since mid January.

I am currently a full time student, but I don't feel I am really too stressed by that.

Home life isn't the greatest, but it is doable I suppose. I am in a long distance relationship. He lives about 3 hours away and I get to see him every once every few weeks or so. So I guess that could add to the stress?

My weight isn't the healthiest, but I guess it isn't really the worst either. Im roughly 210 lbs, 5 foot 6 inches. So over weight I know, but would it be enough to cause me to miss my period?

Also, I started birth control to regulate periods. But since I haven't had one in a few months because of the birth control, I figured I should at least have it now because it isn't like I just had it last month or anything.

I am going to an OB/GYN in about 2 weeks to get Mirena, and I was told they would do a pregnancy test before that. But I seriously don't think Im pregnant.

What do you think could be the cause of my not having a period since stopping my birth control aside from being pregnant?

Favorite Answer

1. No contraceptive is 100% sure even if you double or triple up.It's rare but it happens. you could be pregnant.

2. After dropping the pill you are more fertile.

3. All the other meds you are taking can be creating havoc on your system.

4. sometimes after dropping the pill it takes a while for your system to get back to its rythm.

5. weight , stress could be a factor.

6. its good you are getting a pregnancy test & getting amirena but pls. make sure that you inform your dr. that you are taking prozac, seroquel etc.

I did not have a period for 10 years after I had my daughter. Some of it was from rapid weight gain with the pregnancy. Also, I was told I had PCOS, Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome. This is when the ovaries for a hard casing around them and you do not ovulate. It would be best to go talk to your doctor or go for a second opinion.

Okay. First Off Im sorry about everythin.. But U May not feel too stressed but if i was living that life i would be!! im thinking stress, but then again im 19.. and dont no alot. but ive had my share of scares. and it sounds like you just stressed out. good thing u have an obgyn apt. though. its good to get things checked out. goodluck with everything

!!! :)

it sounds to me that it could be stress or because you stopped taking the pill. your body can be stressed out and you not know about it. so if you know that you are not preggo then its those two things that i would go with. hope this helps.