Why do Americans not want Health care reform?

I have been trying to understand for a while why Americans are so hostile to a universal health care scheme like the NHS in Britain (I am British) and especially to Obama's Health care reform proposals. The reasons I have already been given are that it is too expensive, the NHS "rations" care so... show more I have been trying to understand for a while why Americans are so hostile to a universal health care scheme like the NHS in Britain (I am British) and especially to Obama's Health care reform proposals.

The reasons I have already been given are that it is too expensive, the NHS "rations" care so people die early, you will not be able to chose your own doctor, and fears that it will turn into some soviet style hospital with few resources etc.

However, I have done some research and the NHS administers the same care but it costs half the amount. This is due to the fact that the American health system often runs pointless tests because they are worried about insurance or trying to rake in more money.

Also, the NHS does not "ration" care - everyone gets the same care and if the NHS does not have the means to treat people in the UK they will fund patients to go overseas to get care there, like they did for this child living in my area. They will also never turn off life machines etc without next of kin permission.

Furthermore, you can chose your own doctor in Britain! And according to our Health Secretary, Andy Burnham, the NHS is one of the top health services in the world! Definately nothing like soviet russia.

Finally, the USA is the only country in the developed world without universal health care. The ONLY one. Are you saying that every other country is wrong? :-s

Taking all this into account I still dont know why people oppose it so please please can someone explain it to me. I just want to understand where you are coming from.
Update: Can I just clarify a few things? - When I said half the amount of money I meant half the amount per head not overall. Proportionally you spend more per person for the same treatment than we do in the UK. - I am not repeating something i heard from a school teacher, I am politics student reiterating facts from... show more Can I just clarify a few things?

- When I said half the amount of money I meant half the amount per head not overall. Proportionally you spend more per person for the same treatment than we do in the UK.
- I am not repeating something i heard from a school teacher, I am politics student reiterating facts from the State Department of Health, the BBC and from ex congressman Robert Carr (D-Michigan) and Constance Morella (R-Maryland)

Furthermore, the guy who reckons he lived in london and saw people dying in corridors I honesty do not believe you. I have an ongoing medical problem and visit the hospital frequently. I never wait more than an hour and the hospitals are extremely clean and well equipped.

I wasnt trying to create an argument or piss anyone off i just wanted to understand.

Finally, I KNOW you hate government intervention i just have never understood why it is such a bad thing. It stops insurance companies trampling over you and ripping you off. Please explain