Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 decade ago

To what extent do your religious beliefs influence your views on gender roles?

If you're not religious, then your cultural background

@Too Sexy: Indian as in Native?

Favorite Answer

I have abandoned all the religious beliefs that enforced the idea that women should be subservient to men, that they are dirty and unclean during their periods or after childbirth, that women should have their heads covered, etc etc.

I felt extreme resentment having to sit and listen to every Sabbath sermon extolling the virtues of the submissive woman. And now i rejoice in my freedom.

It's only when it's taken from you that you realise how important it was and is to be respected as a free-thinking person, regardless of gender.

• CSE

When I was younger (ie: 5 or 6 years old) I had a problem with women because I thought it was their fault that we got kicked out of the Garden of Eden. That was gone by the time I was 8 and had a female best friend, though I don't remember the exact time when it vanished.

My dad was (and still is) very anti-female, and he uses the Bible to try to back up his reasons. His attitude surely contributed to my negativity towards women in my early years.

By 8 I wasn't really seeing a difference between what a man or woman could do. My views were/are that we're both basically the same. Some of the ways we think or respond may be different, but ultimately both genders want the same thing out of life, and both have their fair share of idiots, geniuses, whiners, and heroes. Gender roles are just whatever the individual decides to do with their life. If a guy stays at home to raise children and his wife works, that shouldn't raise any eyebrows.

Source(s): agnostic

I love the question and the answers. Very interesting. My religious beliefs had nothing to do with my views or feelings about adoption. I wanted to adopt a child from the time I was a child. It was an old movie I saw of a couple who adopted a child, then another and another and so on. And as poor as they were, there was so much love in that household. Yes, I know it was a movie and life isn't that easy. But that movie was the first inkling I ever had that there were children out there that needed a home. I made up my mind then and there that one day I would open my home to a child that needed it. I met my husband and he told me that he had always thought that someday he would adopt a child. His reasons were more worldly though. He was of the opinion, as a young man, that the world was overcrowded and in such chaos that bringing a child into it was not responsible. So, if you wanted to parent a child, you should find one that needs a parent already. By the time I met him, he was a bit older and his views had matured somewhat and he wanted to have children of his own, but still felt strongly about adopting children. So, while our reasons were vastly different, our goals were the same. And none of it had anything to do with religion. Thanks for such an interesting question and thanks for all of the interesting answers.

Was brought up to believe that women should have a good education (same as men) to be able to support herself, but also to be able to balance kids and housework and all that because of the traditional role of women.

Oh, and mensual blood was impure too, so I was not allowed to hold joss sticks or anything while that happened. Because of that I thought that men were superior for a while when I was very young.

My favorite topic. This is where all the trouble started for women. Besides economy religion has had the biggest impact on women's lives.

In some parts of the world there is no difference between culture and religion. Namely the mid east. Something that happened when there was no longer a balance between the two.

I was influenced at one time, in a minor way, but no longer. I don't resent it, I found the balance myself.

Little. My religion never really taught gender roles. Culturally, I think most of us go with what is natural.

Source(s): Raised in a church where women are equal-married by a woman

None

Biological facts combined with logic influence my views on gender roles.

US southern baptist. I believe somewhat in traditional roles but have a lot of leeway in my thinking. I've rejected a lot of ideas of my upbringing. Whatever works for a couple is the best thing.

They don't. I never mix religion with my views on life; the two should be held separate according to my belief..

i am an indian so riligion really doesn't affect my gender role views because i try to keep them seperate