My new cedar fence is starting to weather. Can I use diesel fuel as a preservative on it?

I installed the fence last spring. It is starting to fade & turn gray. I have heard that diesel fuel can be used as a preservative. It is significantly less expensive than the commercial preservatives available. What effect would diesel fuel have on the wood? (Besides making it smell like diesel?)

• Mike S
    Favorite Answer

I've got no idea, actually, tho' it seems to me that most of the fuel would evaporate or run to ground long before it did any good, & I really doubt that it would do much at all about the graying.

If that's what concerns you most then, I'd say the fence needs washing (I'd bleach & power-wash,but that's me) & then if you're looking for the least expensive option, I'd go with Thompson's.

The gray is from U.V. which actually penetrates the upper layers of the wood.

With the ozone layer being what it is there's a lot more ultraviolet light reaching the planet than there was when I started fixing things like this in the mid 80's & combined w/the state of wood these days everything takes more work to maintain.

You'd think I'd be excited about this prospect since people pay me to do it, but honestly at this point I find it depressing.

So anyways, wash & if you can coat it w/a U.V. blocker all the better, although I have to say that most of them these days contain nano particles which were barely tested on anything before being set loose on the market & we've honestly got no data on the long term effects of such.

Source(s): Contractor

Ham Humus Horseradish Beets Broccoli Brussel Sprouts

Shane H It would have no adverse effects at all, but as you say the area would stink of diesel fumes for some time. You may need a couple of applications to make sure that the wood is fairly well saturated. Don't fancy it myself. Once you have applied the diesel, you too will smell of the stuff for quite a while.

That is a good idea have a smoke while you do it