Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

About what percentage of pet cats are "indoor/outdoor" ?

????????

• Favorite Answer

According to the Messybeast web site, "In Britain an estimated 88%-92% of cats have access to outdoors. The percentage of indoor-only cats (around 10%) corresponds to the percentage of pedigree cats in the pet population". Cat keeping habits in Britain and Europe are very similar, so it would be a fair assumption to say that the percentage of indoor/outdoor cats in European countries would also be around 88-92%.

http://www.messybeast.com/indooroutdoor.htm

The situation in the USA is very different and many owners are encouraged to keep their cats indoors. A survey carried out on behalf of the HSUS in 2004 indicated that 75% of owners preferred to keep their cats indoors all the time or only allow them out under strict supervision. Many pet cats in the USA are pedigrees, so this may also account for preferring to keep them indoors. This article from the HSUS (page 31) traces the history of the increase in popularity of keeping cats indoors.

http://www.hsus.org/web-files/PDF/hsp/SOA_3-2005_C...

I'm not sure of any Official percentages, but every cat that I know longs to be what it's not. If it's indoors, it wants to be outdoors, and if it's outdoors it wants to be indoors.

Depends where you are, country to country, and even town to town and state to state.

For example, in the UK, I find MOST cats are indoor/outdoor. Not all cats, as it depends where the owner lives, and on the cat itself- but the vast majority, I would say well over fifty percent, of UK cats are indoor/outdoor.

N,

I am wondering also. But, I do believe it will be hard to find out. 100% of my cats are indoor cats.

Finding out the percent will be hard.

Good luck and post the results.

R P CAT

Ferrel cats and farm cats are mainly outdoor.

I think 90% indoor pets.

Then 10% Ferrel or farm.

Source(s): Only surmising.

ALL THE PETS I HAVE HAD ARE INDOOR

INCLUDING, POT BELLY PIG, DOGS, CATS, FISH, CHINCHILLA, BIRDS, SNAPPING TURTLE, CRABS. ECT. THEY WERE ALL INDOOR PETS, I DO NOT BELIEVE IN LEAVING A ANIMAL OUT SIDE, IT IS CRUELTY!!!

Source(s): ALL INDOOR...