Happy Monday R&P, Has He gotten abstract and bored, too much milk and honey? (#4)?

Hi Everybody. Well, we're inside the top 10 on my Top 101 Mix Tape Rules countdown. "Mix tape rules" simply means that I limited myself to one song per band/artist. Here are the recent selections: 25. the Smiths - Handsome Devil 24. John Lennon - Watching The Wheels 23. A.C. Newman - On The... show more Hi Everybody.
Well, we're inside the top 10 on my Top 101 Mix Tape Rules countdown. "Mix tape rules" simply means that I limited myself to one song per band/artist.

Here are the recent selections:
25. the Smiths - Handsome Devil
24. John Lennon - Watching The Wheels
23. A.C. Newman - On The Table
22. The Roots - The Seed V. 2.0
21. Wilco - Theologians
20. Grandaddy - Chartsengrafs
19. the Folk Implosion - Natural One
18. the Decemberists - the Tain
17. Stevie Wonder - We Can Work It Out (Beatles Cover)
16. Tall Tales and the Silver Lining - Born Down By the Side
15. Belle and Sebastian - Simple Things
14. Dr. Dog - The Beach
13. the Pixies - Alec Eiffel
12. Dr. Octagon - Earth People
11. Elvis Costello - The Angels Wanna Wear My Red Shoes
10. Elliott Smith - Condor Ave.
09. Simon and Garfunkel - The Big Bright Green Pleasure Machine
08. Radiohead - Paranoid Android
07. Built to Spill - I Would Hurt A Fly
06. Paul Simon - The Obvious Child
05. Tom Waits - Please Call Me Baby

For number 4, well what can I say. My favorite song by my favorite band. Showing a side of themselves that came on more towards the end of their run. A sort of deeper (sonically) smoothness. A hightened production used incredbly effectively. Pavement is a band of many faces, and I love them all, but I think this song shows off really the whole thing coming together at its peak. Though it came from the album before their last, which is my favorite, it serves as a perfect segway for what was to come. I love the way the B section plays out too. Anyways, I hope you like it.

Pavement - Transport is Arranged
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqi4l__r0Hs

So, what did you think? What's your favorite Pavement track? Record? If you're a Pavement fan, how do you like Steve Malkmus' solo work/work with the Jicks so far?

Thanks a lot everybody. I hope you all had a really great weekend.
Update: You too Johnny. Thanks a lot man. Glad you liked the pick. S&E is an amazing record.
Update 2: Hey Z1.
Thanks a lot man. Shady Lane is another great one. In the Mouth of the Desert has always been a real overall favorite of mine. It would land somewhere in my top 5 of their tracks.
Thanks. Have good one.
Update 3: ...or maybe a top 10 one. Man they just have so many good ones. Perfume V has always been a really big one from S&E for me also.
Update 4: Hey CR. Great post man. I'm really glad I could play a role in bringing them to you. Man, there are some really, really great B-sides from BTC too. I remember when I got the Shady Lane ep and a sort of promotional copy of the Stereo ep. Just wonderful stuff. Wowee Zowee had actually been my favorite record... show more Hey CR.
Great post man.
I'm really glad I could play a role in bringing them to you. Man, there are some really, really great B-sides from BTC too. I remember when I got the Shady Lane ep and a sort of promotional copy of the Stereo ep. Just wonderful stuff.
Wowee Zowee had actually been my favorite record of theirs for about 8 or 9 years. Terror Twilight just kind of snuck in about a year ago. I'm not sure what it was, but it just rose in my graces. I love WZ though, and Grave Architecture is a real favorite. We Dance is another really great one. Great way to kick that record off.
Man, thanks a lot. Have a good one.

Thanks a lot Smoochy.
I'm glad you like the choice man. Have a good one.

Hey Shades.
That's really exciting. I'm really psyched that you're going to see them and I think it's really cool that I've helped give them to you. It's one of the first things I set out to do in coming here years ago.
I really, really appreciate the tour guide offer. (continued)
Update 5: That's really cool of you. I'll run it up the flag pole, but we've got week vacations set up in June and August. I'm concerned that particularly for my wife that it's going to the well an awful lot. I'll definitely run it by her though. I'm still kind of crossing my fingers that a L.A.... show more That's really cool of you. I'll run it up the flag pole, but we've got week vacations set up in June and August. I'm concerned that particularly for my wife that it's going to the well an awful lot. I'll definitely run it by her though. I'm still kind of crossing my fingers that a L.A. date will pop up. Thank you so much though. That's incredibly kind.
I'll let you know how it plays out. Thanks again. I hope the records treat you great too.

Hey Captain.
Man, I'm sorry I've been losing you on these. Thank you for continuing to try them out though. I don't know if there will be anything to take you off guard or anything at the end, but I hope there is at least a selection that you'll really dig. Going to try out the link. Thanks man. Have a great one.

Hey Mr. Bernstein.
Yeah, I thought for a split second about going with Harness Your Hopes, but ultimately it wasn't a tough choice. I love Circa 1762. I'm a real sucker for ping-pong vocals. For a while I had myself believing...
Update 6: ...that I liked Steve's stuff better or maybe I wanted to like Steve's solo stuff better in a way of kind of rooting for him, and embracing the excitement of him kind of evolving his sound. Now that I've gotten used to it and kind of gotten some perspective I think the Beatles, sum of their parts thing... show more ...that I liked Steve's stuff better or maybe I wanted to like Steve's solo stuff better in a way of kind of rooting for him, and embracing the excitement of him kind of evolving his sound. Now that I've gotten used to it and kind of gotten some perspective I think the Beatles, sum of their parts thing fits really well.
Thanks a lot Mr. Bernstein. Hope you're doing great buddy.

Hi Simone.
It was a tough call for number 3 or 4, and if I drew it up again I would probably swap 3 and 4, but one of the things that makes Pavement my favorite is that if this was a countdown that could hold mutliple spots for a band they would hold many slots. I can totally relate with picking a favorite. This one comes fairly easy to me, but it's still a very slim margin. They just didn't make bad songs. You touched on some great ones too. Actually, in a quality over quantity sense Watery Domestic is my favorite release.
I agree about people catchng them live. I've seen them a handfull fo times...
Update 7: ...It's funny that you mention the Terror Twilight tour and the tension because I saw them absolutely implode in Los Angeles. You should have seen the look Scott gave Steve when he stopped at about the quarter point of Speak See Remember, saying "I don't want to do this, let's just play the fast... show more ...It's funny that you mention the Terror Twilight tour and the tension because I saw them absolutely implode in Los Angeles. You should have seen the look Scott gave Steve when he stopped at about the quarter point of Speak See Remember, saying "I don't want to do this, let's just play the fast part. Play the fast part." Later the encore ended with the band stormed off stage, leaving Steve just wanking with his guitar. We actually went the next night too and apparently they talked it out because it was one of the best performances I've ever seen. Amazing set.
I love Steve's stuff, but I can't do PSoI. I tried, and truth be told Scott's always been pretty hit and miss with me, but I was pretty underwhelmed. I love those couple of Silver Jews records. Actually, Steve, Bob and Westy were supposedto make the Natural Bridge with him too, but for some reason Dave Berman ended up doing it on his own. They actually did tracks for it that he redid. I would love to hear those. Anyways. Thanks!
Update 8: Hi Buzzkill. I really enjoy Brighten the Corners, although, I love them all so it's not terribly surprising. It has a really cool vibe to it. I agree about hearing more about them these days. It's funny because there is a bit of dating myself, being taken to years back when they were still around, but... show more Hi Buzzkill.
I really enjoy Brighten the Corners, although, I love them all so it's not terribly surprising. It has a really cool vibe to it. I agree about hearing more about them these days. It's funny because there is a bit of dating myself, being taken to years back when they were still around, but it's so cool to see their name being dropped more around here. Very satisfying.
Thanks Buzzkill. I hope you like the rest of BTC. I hope the last three hit you right.
Have a good one.

Hey Johnny.
I'm glad you liked Half Baked man. I need to watch that one again sometime soon. Been a while. Really funny flick. I'm glad you liked it too.
Take care man.
Update 9: Oh yeah CR.
I forgot to mention. Father to a Sister of Thought is a great song. This old band I was in actually used to cover that one. I just love that track.
Anyways. Great call. Have a good one.
Update 10: Hey Simone. Thanks for filling in the gaps on that (the Natural Bridge thing). I never heard the details and I was always a little puzzled about it. I can see why he would feel that way. It is a shame though. I love that record, so ultimately I'm happy that it went down, but the curiosity does plague me... show more Hey Simone.
Thanks for filling in the gaps on that (the Natural Bridge thing). I never heard the details and I was always a little puzzled about it. I can see why he would feel that way. It is a shame though. I love that record, so ultimately I'm happy that it went down, but the curiosity does plague me sometimes. I know American Water is my favorite, but Starlite Walker and the Natural Bridge are kind of deadlocked at second. Who knows. NB may have even surpassed AW with the full picture in place. Kind of doubt it, but man, what would it have sounded like? At any rate, it is what it is I suppose.
I'm actually relatively new to these sorts of sites (I only used to post at some ESPN board before here). I used to check in with their Myspace group, but that's about as close to something like that that I've done. That would have been a trip though. I never realized how neat internet boards were. I certainly would have had I known.
Update 11: Hey Shades. Yeah, it should be a really cool summer we've got lined up. Debating a one night Vegas trip in March, then we've got a room lined up in Yosemite, but we may take up our travel insurance and go somewhere beach-y where someone will bring us drinks while we lay around like bums (seems appropriate... show more Hey Shades.
Yeah, it should be a really cool summer we've got lined up. Debating a one night Vegas trip in March, then we've got a room lined up in Yosemite, but we may take up our travel insurance and go somewhere beach-y where someone will bring us drinks while we lay around like bums (seems appropriate with it being in honor of my wife getting her degree). Then my family is taking a big trip to Hawaii in August which should be awesome.
It is still possible though. I'll have to see how she feels about trying to eek out one more Friday. I'll definitely let you know. It would be really nice to meet you.
Thanks.

Hi TL.
Glad you liked it man. Like I said to someone a little earlier, In The Mouth of the Desert is a really great one. Love it. It's coming from a really big fan so I there is an element of "of course you'd say that" but I definitely recommend checking out the last 2 records. They're really great.
Have a good one man.