? asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesDodge · 1 decade ago

My Dodge Grand Caravan has a Cylinder 5 Misfire,?

I have replaced spark plugs/wires, coil pack and scensory switch. What else could be the problem?

Favorite Answer

OK ,you could have a bad injector causing this too happen,you already replaced everything associated with a miss fire code and you still got a miss fire on no 5 cylinder,take no-5 plug back out and run a compression check on that cylinder and find out how much compression it has on that and each other cylinder,if its constant misfire under strain or at idle you may have a burnt valve on it,if you got good compression and the wires are new and none of them are crossed and the plugs are gaped right it has to be in the engine part of it,let me know if its doing the exact same thing as it was before you swapped any of these parts out on it,good luck

Source(s): been a certified mechanic for 38 yrs now.
    • Tj5 years agoReport

I have the same issue and we pinned it to cylinder 2 has low compression, the shop guys suggested motor swap but I want to know if just replacing the head with a new one would be ok? The shop response made me wonder if this would lead to problems in the motor's lower end or something? Thanks

Well it sounds as if you had it diagnosed or you wouldn't know which cylinder.

Okay hon, if you are up to it try swapping the #5 injector into any other cylinder and see if the miss moves to the same one. If so, that is the culprit. you already eliminated the electric stuff so what's left is fuel and then mechanical stuff inside the engine. If the miss stays at #5 you need to do a compression test to learn if there is leakage. Hopefully the injector is your problem. A good grade of injection cleaner should be run through the gas filler every 20,000 miles anyway. My Caravan had over 100,000 miles on the factory injectors when I sold it so they can last that long if kept clean.

Wish you luck there girl. Hope it is the simplest fix.

• Joseph

The spark plug could be no good or fouling. Fuel pressure depending on the size of the engine, the injector, or there could be a vacuum leak, a computer or wiring problem or a mechanical problem with the engine itself. Try swapping injectors with a good cylinder. Check the engine's compression while your at it. If you don't have too many miles on it, the injector may be bad. If it is a 2000 or later call a dealer to see if they had problems with the power train control module because it can usually be re-programmed.

Injector plug up or dirty, damage valve, damage piston causing loss of compression, a bent rod.

Have you pull the spark plug to see what it looks like is it burning anything at all, is it clean like brand new, is it black with sooth, is it wet, oil/fuel, does it smell like gasoline. Check the compression on all cylinders and compare if you don't want to do all of them at least compare the bad one # 5 with another good one. The engine needs three things to work compression, spark, fuel, the fuel needs to be atomize /spray into the cylinder if the injector is shooting a stream instead of a spray it will cause a miss fire. Good luck.

My 2004 grand caravan with the 3.8 had the same code and came to find out my cylinder 2 had low compression. Shop suggested replacing motor but couldn t I just replace the head?

That should be OBD code P0305 - Cylinder #5 Misfire

POSSIBLE SYMPTOMS >>>

the engine may be harder to start

the engine may stumble / stumble, and/or hesitate

other symptoms may also be present

POSSIBLE CAUSES >>>

A code P0305 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Faulty spark plug or wire

Faulty coil (pack)

Faulty oxygen sensor(s)

Faulty fuel injector

Burned exhaust valve

Faulty catalytic converter(s)

Running out of fuel

Poor compression

Defective computer

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS >>>

If there are no symptoms, the simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back.

If there are symptoms such as the engine is stumbling or hesitating, check all wiring and connectors that lead to the cylinders (i.e. spark plugs). Depending on how long the ignition components have been in the car, it may be a good idea to replace them as part of your regular maintenance schedule. I would suggest spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor (if applicable). Otherwise, check the coils (a.k.a. coil packs). In some cases, the catalytic converter has gone bad. If you smell rotten eggs in the exhaust, your cat converter needs to be replaced. I've also heard in other cases the problems were faulty fuel injectors.

Source(s): Just my opinion
    • Tj5 years agoReport

My 2004 grand caravan with the 3.8 had this code and replaced everything prior towards a tune-up, and my shop said my cylinder 2 had low compression. They suggested replacing motor and I'm wondering why not just try replacing the bad head? So I wonder what could go wrong with just doing the head?

I have a 2000 caravan 3.0 it sounds like a vacumm leak under hood but I cant find any? It idles at 30mph and the gas mileage is bad? On decell at highway speeds when throtle close you hear a whistle under hood? There are no codes? Whats under the intake plenum that could be leaking?

E-mail me at phoneman01@ameritech.net

Get a compression test on that Cyl.If its down a bit , sometimes a bit of carbon will get stuck on the valve seat. thus acts like a bad cyl. You could run some carbon cleaner throught the t-body or air intake. I actually put a cup of water through slowly.

Menopause

Did you reset the computer after repair? If not, the code may linger for as many a 80 restarts.