Do U.S. citizens agree with the Patriot Act?

With almost no debate, the so called "Democratic" leadership in Congress pushed through an unamended extension of the USA Patriot Act’s most notorious provisions, granting sweeping powers to eavesdrop and seize library, Internet and other personal records of US citizens.

If Obama was all about "change" then why are things still EXACTLY the same?

The provisions were set to expire by Sunday. President Barack Obama is expected to sign the legislation before then, securing his administration the ability to continue and expand the domestic spying and attacks on basic democratic rights that he and other Democrats had pretended to oppose under the Bush administration.

The three extended provisions give US intelligence agencies the power to: 1) conduct "roving" wiretaps without specifying a particular phone number or e-mail account; 2) force institutions to surrender credit, banking, medical, mental health and library records; and 3) spy on so-called lone-wolf foreign nationals, who have no affiliation to either terrorist organizations or foreign governments.

The Senate approved the one-year extension Wednesday by a voice vote and without any debate. The House followed suit on Thursday night, voting 315 to 97 in favor of the legislation.

Originally, the three provisions were to expire at the end of December, but Congress passed a two-month extension late last year, while continuing to discuss proposed amendments that would ostensibly introduce greater protection of privacy and constitutional rights.

Looks like Constitutional Rights are not so important eh?

It almost seems as though there actually is not a 2 party system in the United States but actually, the illusion of a 2 party system.

Have "agents" infiltrated both parties to ensure the ongoing agenda continues?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

no because Patriot Act is fascism

• 1 decade ago

It depends on whether you have studied the act itself or are basing your opinions on the opinions of people who either have not read it themselves or have an agenda.

People who have bothered to actually go and research what the Act says typically are comfortable with it.

People who never bothered to look up the Act and instead rely on other people's opinions are afraid of it.

Here is something that you should pay close attention to: Take note of the fact that none of the people who claim that the Act 'takes our freedoms' can quote the section of the Act that backs up their claims. (This is because 99% of these claims are unfounded.)

Source(s): Had to read the Act as part of a college course.
  • 1 decade ago

no.

but it does not matter.

take a look at the last 10 major laws passed by congress other than the minimum wage increase and ask yourself this...if this very same law had been put to a vote to the american people, would they have voted to pass this law by at least a 50.1 to 49.9 majority?

I think you will be hard pressed to find a law passed by congress of a major nature that most americans would have approved of.

This is just more proof that we the people no longer own our country. someone does, but its not we the people.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes. Way less than 1% of the population will ever even be affected by the Patriot Act in any way. Or even know it exists other than hearing about it in the media. Of those that are affected 99% are terrorists...... So...no brainer

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ROBERT
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I am a patriot who fought for my country and have nothing to hide. Let them look at me and whomever else they want to.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

As long as they don't bother me I agree with it. How do you expect anyone to speak for all U.S. citizens? You think we're mind readers.

• Daniel
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

no, I don't

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.