promotion image of download ymail app

Can I get a masters degree in urban planning with a BA in psychology?

As I am now graduating with a BA in psychology, I have discovered the field of urban planning and it piqued my interest (I didnt know what I wanted to do yet anyway). My grades are stellar, I have coordinated research for my universities psychology department, have presented research at conventions, have a very strong background in statistics. was president of the national honors society, and much much more.

I am planning on taking a few courses in urban planning just to see what its all about and if i really would have an interest in it. If I decide I like it, would I be able to get into an MA program for urban planning using my BA in psych?

I am already well aware that I will probably need the MA to get an entry level position.

2 Answers

  • pj
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    My first thought when reading your question is that it depends. It depends on the specific college and program you apply to. So I then started searching for colleges that offer this type of program. I typed in google: ma urban planning

    Here's a very informative page from Tufts University Dept of Urban & Environmental Planning

    It looks like they accept people from a variety of fields of study, though many have some work experience. I wouldn't let that sort of statement discourage you from applying, though if it were me, I would speak with someone (in person or through email) to get a sense of my viability as a applicant.

    UCLA program

    UC Berkeley

    I'm sure there are many more programs out there to choose from. I would try to speak with as many people as you can who have been through this type of program or who teach in this field. Then narrow your choices and apply to 3 or 4 programs and see what happens.

    Occupational Outllook Handbook article on Urban Planners:

    This includes information about the field, education and training, and links to professional association sites and accredited colleges.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    Yes of course. Many people get masters in subjects different from their bachelors. You might have to take some undergrad courses to begin but they get rolled up into the program.

    Source(s): BS, MS
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.