gracie asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

how to train a dog not to potty at night.?

We adopted a 3 year old dog 1 week ago. He seemed house broken until we woke up one morning to find that he pooped and peed upstairs. Days before that incident he had scratched at the door to be let out. So we thought he was trained. The night he had the accident he slept on the couch in the living room. He did pee about 10pm that night. And then the accident. Is it because we didn't hear him if he was signaling that he needed to go out? Do we change his feeding times? Help!

Update:

The dog is 17 pounds. What size crate should I use? Also, I'd like to be able to let him sleep outside the crate if he masters the crate training. Is that possible

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Crate him at night. give him lots of blankets so hes comfortable. He will not potty in his crate. after a while you may be able to let him roam at night.

• 1 decade ago

I am in the middle of this right now too and i know it can be tough. We are trying out the crate training method and it seems to be doing ok so far. We put some newspaper in there and food and water and a small blanket. Make sure the crate is small though and appropriate for your dog. If you give them too much room they will just pee and poop on one side and then go to sleep and keep doing this. It needs to be small enough to where they realize

"Hey if I pee or poo, I can't get away from it and my food and water will be by it, so i need to hold it until i can get out of here"

Go to your local pet store and shop for some crates depending on the size of your dog. Tell them what kind of dog you have and that you are trying to crate train. They will help you find whats right.

I have heard crate training is a really effective method.

• 1 decade ago

Why is he loose in the house all night? There's your problem right there. When you adopt a dog, you need to treat it as a puppy. You have no idea what type of training (or lack thereof) this dog has had. You must act as if the dog is totally untrained until proven otherwise by slowly exposing it to new privelages. You have jumped the gun and you need to start from scratch.

Not only will your dog feel safer and more secure in a new enviornemt, but it will also eliminate the "peeing in the house" issue, if you keep the dog in a crate in your bedroom at night. Dogs are very social, as I hope you know, they are pack animals. They do not do well in isolation, whether that means alone without a human or alone without the company of another dog. Adopting an adult dog from who knows where and throwing it into a new enviornment is a traumatic experience. You cannot expect the dog to adjust in week to your schedule.

That being said, keep the dog in a crate in your bedroom at night. He will know he is safe and secure in his own space, that he will consider his "den." Dogs do not want to deficate in their own space if they can help it. The crate should be big enough to hold a little bed for him, and space to stand up and turn around. That way, if he really does have to go, he will wake you up. He will learn quickly this way and also have a space to call his own and retreat to, even during the day.

It's very dangerous and irresponsible to assume that a dog is house-trained after 1 week. He could get bored and destroy something in the middle of the night, or get himself injured. Not to mention the obvious annoyance of having accidents all over the house.Keep in mind that these accidents could be occuring completely out of stress. Having a "den" with his alpha (you) will make him feel as if he hasn't been isolated. Take responsibility for your adoption and start over.

Feed him twice a day, once in the morning after he goes outside, and then once again after you eat dinner in the evening. Be sure he goes out before and after each meal, before you leave the house, and at least once in the middle of the day and right before bedtime. He should have access to water all day, but remove it 2 hours before bedtime for a while to make it easier on him.

This method is fool-proof, but don't expect it to work in 1 week. If he's still having accidents or waking you up every night to go after about 1 month, take him to the vet to rule out a possible infection. A 3-year-old dog should be fully capable of holding their bladder for 8 hours. This is definitely an emotional issue on his part and a training issue on your part.

Best of luck

• 4 years ago

What you wish to do is make her kennel house as small as feasible. Stick a field or some thing in there so she has simply sufficient room to be in a position to show round. Dogs will pass in a single nook in their kennel after which sleep at the different so through proscribing her house she could must lay in it and she or he wont like that very so much. Secondly take her out each two-three hours and if she does not pass placed her in her kennel for 10 min and check out once more till she is going external. When she does provide her plenty and plenty of prais. Once she is going external you'll allow her play within the condo for two-three hours till you check out taking her external once more. If your domestic dog does potty within the condo it does not do any well to punish her until you capture her doing it. Dogs handiest have a reminiscence span of three seconds. So if she is going and also you capture it 10 mins later and yell at her she wont appreciate whats happening and why your so disillusioned. Keep repeating this method over and over till she learns that it isn't adequate to head within however its nice if I pass potty external. Sometimes it will possibly take a puppy three days and different occasions it will possibly take longer. It takes plenty of persistence however sooner or later each you and your puppy might be completely happy. Good Luck

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I had the same problem with my dog you couldnt put any padding down becuase he would rip it but..if your dog doesnt rip things go ahead and put padding down. When you see your dog start 2 go in circles then take him out as quick as you can then when he goes to the bathroom give him a treat after or be like "GOOD BOY/GIRL" and repeat that a couple of times! The dog will learn! I feed my dog once in the mornin around 7-8 and once at night around 4:30-5 and my dog barks when he wants to go out!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

you need to retrain him it sounds like... dont let him be free at night put him in a room or a cage a big one... so then you wont wake up with pee everywhere... if you are going to retrain him this is what we did with our puppy and the trianer said it was a quick way to train them

put the dog or puppy in a cage and put the cage next to your bed... let the dog out before you go to bed and dont let it drink alot of water for the rest of the night... a tiny bit of water is fine but not alot... when the dog starts to cry get up and take him out... and ect

or if you have a door leading outside like a back door pu a dog door there so the dog knows there is some where to go outside

• Crate train him at night.

• 1 decade ago

Your dog may have neuter incontinence. Our female dog has spay incontinence and it only happens when she's extremely tired. There are herbs and other treatments, but our dog does it so rarely that we just wash all her bedding when it happens.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.