Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 years ago

Is getting a tattoo a sin? If it is then why are we allowed to get piercings?

I've been told that its a sin to get a tattoo but I don't see why it is. If tattoos are mutilating to the body, then so are piercings. And I mean ear piercings. They are permanent on the body as well as tattoos.

I am a Catholic and I wanted to get something that is very important to me for example a my babys footprints or my husbands name.

Oh and by the way, piercings don't heal. I've had mine for a long time and I never wear earrings.

Best Answer

In Judaism, you're supposed to leave this world as you entered it: naked and pure. That means completely, so no tattoos and no piercings. Many Orthodox cemeteries will not allow you to be buried if you have any piercings, and definitely not if you have a tattoo.

• Joan

Your mom is correct that your body is a temple and God created us in His image but the topic of tattoos and piercings is more of a social issue than a religious one, in my perspective. As long as your reason and motive behind getting tattoos and piercings is pure, then, personally, I find no fault with it. You can still be a Christian with tattoos and piercings! Being a Christian is a matter of your heart, your belief in God and living your life according to His Word. It sounds like you're young - give yourself some time to figure out EXACTLY what you want your tattoo(s) to be and make sure you can live with it for 80 years. Same with the piercings, especially stretching. It's not reversable, except by surgery. Also, if you're still living in your mom's house and are underage, consider first and foremost respecting her wishes - so, you may want to wait until you're an adult and out of the house to go ahead with this if by then, you decide it's still the best choice for you. Just some thing to consider. :)

Somewhere in the bible says that you should never pierce the body. And it says something about permanently marking your skin.. But I still want a tattoo. Just don't have it say "666".. That would be hard to explain to God. :p haha. Or piss him off.

I am a firm believer in jesus, but I also have 4 piercings and three tattoos. My body is my temple. But you know jesus loved/loves me with or without my piercings and tattoos. I dont think it's a sin. Jesus loves us all, despite what we do.

No it is not. The Bible does tell us that the body is a temple and to take care of it though. Once again free will. He gave it to us, but not all decisions are beneficial to Him. Personally, I would never deface my body with Tats or piercings,

Some believe that the body is the Lord's temple and disfiguring it is a rejection of God's work. My thought on this is, if that is true' how do they justify male genital mutilation commonly called circumcision

No. tattoos and body modifications aren't a sin. It's your heart that matters. Jesus loves you no matter what, he doesn't care what you look like or do to your body. As long as the tattoos aren't belittling God or offensive, also as long as you don't make them an obsession and get carried away with it. Everything in moderation. Don't make other things your god.

• Muslim

Sure, these are the very things we will get judged on. Not our treatment of others or worship of our creator, it will be tattoos and piercings.

Piercing the ears of a baby for "cultural" reasons should be a crime as should be "circumcision", make and female.

Piercings where? All depends what body part you're doing it on. Leviticus says don't pierce your butt or your neighbor's butt.

.