How do you compare by way of investigation thedifferent indigestion remedies to neutralize excess stomachacid?

One of my junior certificate investigation titles is 'Compare by way of investigation the abilities of different indigestion remedies to neutralize excess stomach acid [A pre-prepared stock solution of 0.15 M HCl may be used as ``stomach acid``.]' Please explain what this means and tell me how to do it as I haven't got a clue! :]

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Salerio has got it right! What you want to do is called tiration. I'll try to give the specifics and you can read up on the rest.

Salerio said: I'd have thought it was quite easy. Just take 100ml or whatever of the acid, add an indicator, and then add the remedies until the indicator changes colour. Record the amount of stuff needed. Repeat for each remedy you are testing.

Indicator = a substance that changes color as the acidity or pH changes. phenolpthhalein is an example. It would be easy to get this from your chemistry lab.

Add the remedies = You might need a titration flask so you can measure the amounts of the indigestion remedy precisely.

So what you do is put your acid and indicator (phenolphtalein) in a flask then you slowly add your remedy using the titration flask until the phenolphthalein changes color from bright red to colorless. You then measure the amount of remedy used up for the change in color to happen.

Read up on acid base titration for more information. Good luck.

• 4 years ago

compare war investigation abilities indigestion remedies 2 neutrilise excess stomach

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

I'd have thought it was quite easy. Just take 100ml or whatever of the acid, add an indicator, and then add the remedies until the indicator changes colour. Record the amount of stuff needed. Repeat for each remedy you are testing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.