Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

atheists! Would You Prefer There Be An Afterlife?

forget what you think or believe, would you like this world to be our last stop, or would you like there to be life after this?

note: i am not necessarily speaking of heaven, just a general afterlife.

Favorite Answer

i would prefer life to just stop and no afterlife, because i would not like to be watching over my loved ones and see all the hurt that they might go through in their life, living can be hard and i could not bear t see them suffer in any way . So i hope when i die , i die.

Of course I ******* would.

People who say no don't understand the question.

We aren't talking about living forever. We are talking about an afterlife. Where new people and things always happen and you never grow old.

He isn't saying "would you prefer to live forever", he is saying "would you prefer an afterlife". The difference is, an afterlife would never get old or boring. Eternal existence without woe would just be a fact of the universe.

And eternity or forever isn't really the right word. Without an end, there wouldn't really be time. Just blissful existence which would be as absolute as 1x1=1.

• Right

When I think of my family and losing them, the idea of an afterlife is pleasant. Of course, the truth doesn't really care what my wishes are, so by no means are our wishes to live forever evidence that we actually will.

But on the other hand, I get really, really tired sometimes. I'll be glad to be permanently done with life at some point.

I'm not sure. In an eternal afterlife you WOULD run out of things to do. I guess I would like to live on Earth for a long long time, and then decide if I wanted to die.

No! Because of the whole hell thing. I can't understand why so many of my fellow atheists say they would like it to be true that God exists, or that just because it's a comforting belief doesn't make it true. Why would you *want* there to be a divine dictator monitoring your every thought, word and action, ready to throw you into an eternal human barbecue pit upon your death if you've broken even one of his petty commandments? There's no evidence for a god or an afterlife, and good thing too, becase I wouldn't want it to be true.

• RWR

Yes, I would like there to be the type of afterlife like in the movie "What Dreams May Come". I would love to see my parents & grandparents again. But wanting doesn't make it so. I'm not going to believe in some ridiculous religion just to make myself feel better about dying.

If I could believe in anything, it would be reincarnation. I like the general idea of being reborn until you learn the lessons you need to know. I would also like to believe in karma...most people never get the punishment they deserve.

But, that is what would be a nice comforting way to believe and as harsh as it can be, I'll stick with reality.

Good question. I don't know. I guess I prefer either way, whether there be no life after death or there is after life. But lots of difficult questions that will never be answered are met with whether there is an after life so I'm more inclined to the former.

Yes, I would. I think everyone wishes there was an afterlife at some point. I for one, don't want to die, but that's not in my control, sadly.

Depends on what said afterlife would be like.

If it was eternal torture vs. eternal oblivion, I'd prefer eternal oblivion.

If it was a nice afterlife vs. eternal oblivion, I'd take the afterlife.