promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 1 decade ago

How dangerous is evaporated, concentrated hydrogen peroxide?

I often clean my house with concentrated hydrogen peroxide, as it becomes water and oxygen once it's made contact with germs. Many times, I've cleaned floors and large surfaces not entirely laden with germs, and they liquid hydrogen peroxide has evaporated, unactivated. I know that once hydrogen peroxide makes contact with blood, it will react, killing the cells. There's exposed blood in lung tissue and elsewhere. How dangerous is it to inhale evaporated hydrogen peroxide and/or get the airborne particles in your eyes/mucous membranes? Do the particles remain hydrogen peroxide once dispersed in the air, or do they break down into oxygen and water spontaneously upon evaporation, just as though they'd reacted with a microbe?

I live in a place where I can't always venthilate the building, which is how I got started using relatively fumeless cleaners like this in the first place.

Thanks!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    In high concentrations, hydrogen peroxide is an aggressive oxidizer and will corrode many materials, including human skin. In the presence of a reducing agent, high concentrations of H2O2 will react violently.

    High-concentration hydrogen peroxide streams, typically above 40%, should be considered a D001 hazardous waste, due to concentrated hydrogen peroxide's meeting the definition of a DOT oxidizer, if released into the environment. The EPA Reportable Quantity (RQ) for D001 hazardous wastes is 100 pounds, or approximately ten gallons, of concentrated hydrogen peroxide.

    Hydrogen peroxide should be stored in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area and away from any flammable or combustible substances.[35] It should be stored in a container composed of non-reactive materials such as stainless steel or glass (other materials including some plastics and aluminium alloys may also be suitable).[36] Because it breaks down quickly when exposed to light, it should be stored in an opaque container, and pharmaceutical formulations typically come in brown bottles that filter out light.

    Hydrogen peroxide, either in pure or diluted form, can pose several risks:

    Explosive vapors. Above roughly 70% concentrations, hydrogen peroxide can give off vapor that can detonate above 70 °C (158 °F) at normal atmospheric pressure. This can then cause a boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion (BLEVE) of the remaining liquid. Distillation of hydrogen peroxide at normal pressures is thus highly dangerous.

    Hazardous reactions. Hydrogen peroxide vapors can form sensitive contact explosives with hydrocarbons such as greases. Hazardous reactions ranging from ignition to explosion have been reported with alcohols, ketones, carboxylic acids (particularly acetic acid), amines and phosphorus. listed below are the hazardous affects of H202: Potential Health Effects

    ----------------------------------

    Inhalation:

    Vapors are corrosive and irritating to the respiratory tract. Inhalation of mist may burn the mucous membrane of the nose and throat. In severe cases, exposures may result in pulmonary edema and death.

    Ingestion:

    Corrosive and irritating to the mouth, throat, and abdomen. Large doses may cause symptoms of abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhea as well as blistering or tissue destruction. Stomach distention (due to rapid liberation of oxygen), and risk of stomach perforation, convulsions, pulmonary edema, coma, possible cerebral edema (fluid on the brain), and death are possible.

    Skin Contact:

    Corrosive. Symptoms of redness, pain, and severe burn can occur.

    Eye Contact:

    Vapors are very corrosive and irritating to the eyes. Symptoms include pain, redness and blurred vision. Splashes can cause permanent tissue destruction.

    Chronic Exposure:

    No information found.

    Aggravation of Pre-existing Conditions:

    Persons with pre-existing skin disorders or eye problems or impaired respiratory function may be more susceptible to the effects of the substance.

    Source(s): web
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

    Either. You can Gently heat it until you see bubbles. Or, you can freeze it unltil it gets slushy. Filter out the slush. Freezing is more efficient because in an open pan, the H2O2 will break down into O2 and H2O, so you will lose some. Get a pH meter from Harbor Freight or a gardening shop or pool supply store. Or, old fashioned pH paper. If the pH drops below about 7, you know you have concentrated the H2O2. When you get about a pH of 6, that's as high a conc as you can get by the "kitchen" methods; about 30%. Keep it in the refrigerator. Making HMTD,or what?<smile>. You can buy 35% plus cheaply thru the internet. Canadian Pharmacies have no restriction. Many hair supply places still sell it. Be discreet--go in with a girl, have Her buy One quart, Only. Or, FBI may track you home...<wink>

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.