Rosie
Rosie asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdoption · 1 decade ago

Former child welfare clients and suicide?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16790007 Why is the rate of suicide for former welfare clients so much higher than the general population? More than twice the rate. Is it the abuse, perhaps? Or the severe parental psychiatric morbidity that plays a large part?

Former child welfare clients were in year of birth and sex standardized risk ratios (RRs) four to five times more likely than peers in the general population to have been hospitalized for suicide attempts. They were five to eight times more likely to have been hospitalized for serious psychiatric disorders in their teens, four to six times in young adulthood. High excess risks were also found for psychoses and depression. Individuals who had been in long-term foster care tended to have the most dismal outcome. Adjusting for birth parents' hospitalization with a psychiatric diagnosis or for substance abuse, and for birth-home-related socio-economic factors, reduced excess risks to around twofold. CONCLUSIONS: Irrespective of issues of causality, findings suggest that former child welfare/protection clients should be considered a high-risk group for suicide attempts and severe psychiatric morbidity. Results have substantial practice implications for mental health and social agencies serving this group in adolescence and/or young adulthood.

Favorite Answer

As a former foster child, I feel that it's the abuse, neglect and obvious UNcaring if my mother that has affected me the most.

To have your own parent not give a crap can do something pretty horrible to a person.

I have never been suicidal, ever.

However, I can understand it with people who were in foster care. I hope and pray that I can help my daughters through their issues--- but I realize that not all children end up in loving homes. Even with support, I know that the pain never goes away. Its an impossible thing to 'fix', we just need to give the kids as many resources and out reach as possible.

Abuse, molestation and neglect- then being TAKEN from your parents (them not even caring enough to find a better home for you) is FAR different from a normal infant adoption. Yeah, the end result usually ends with adoption, but they are different from the start. Very different.

Source(s): Former foster child/ adoptive mom of 2 foster daughters

Spending several years working in the foster care system it is true that many of these children do have a higher risk of suicide and mental illness. And like a person said above remove a child from an abusive home where there is sexual, physical,emotional abuse and neglect; mix that with a parent that may possibly have mental health issues themselves as well possibly drug or alcohol abuse and you have a recipe for a child that is at risk of suicide as well as other issues. It is really said when a parent puts an innocent child through all of this. And then the child is removed from the home and even if they have good foster parents sometimes they are moved from one home to another never knowing what it is like to be in a stable and loving environment. Which is why I do not believe that just because a person can physically have children doesn't mean they are entitled to raise them. Some people should never procreate.

It's clear that people can and do suffer from the trauma of removal from their biological families, even if it is entirely necessary. Add sexual, physical and/or mental abuse to the mix, and you have a recipe for disaster. No long term placement or adoptive family can "fix" a child, they can only give them the resources to do so.

Also, assuming a child is not adopted, they are placed into the world with little or no support when they become legal adults. How is that supposed to be beneficial?

Again it's 'nature over nurture' and I found that to be one of the most dismal things in the Research study. When a child is removed from the abuse and neglect at an early time in their life and go into foster adoptive care, and are not aware of their early home life ,they turn around and do the same sort of things that brought them into care is quite remarkable.

Could further abuse suffered in abusive foster homes also exacerbate the potential risk?

• ?

I bet the rate of suicide is higher in adoptees who have adoptive parents who diminish their pain and refuse to acknowledge that being adopted is not a normal way of growing up. See Marie Osmond's son's suicide note.

Source(s): being adopted

Adoption anyway you look at it sucks and is not a solution.

Single natural mothers need more support not wolves after their "infants".

Source(s): Tired of sucking it up just so some stranger can play mommy with me.