Why does rotation on a jump shot help?

What makes a jump shot with rotation more likely to go in?

Favorite Answer

Contrary to the belief that no rotation will "make your shot miss" is wrong. It doesn't doom you from ever making shots but it does help. A shot with rotation will tend to be a softer shot with a higher arch. It does help with having a "shooter's touch" when it comes to shots bouncing in off the rim or backboard. The spin on the ball sort of directs the ball where to go, if the ball hits back of the rim the spin will direct it downward.

It's not a "must" to shoot that way though. I have very little rotation on my jump shot and I still shot 45% from 3 point range during my last league season. People usually comment on the rotation on my shot, and I always tell them I don't care if it goes in.

A ball with no rotation was pretty much just pushed out of your hand so there's a low probability of you making the shot.

Softer on the rim, and better float

If there's no spin it ain't going in!

it is softer which you will amke it more