Adoptees and suicide?

I heard today that Marie Osmond's son Michael, who was adopted, committed suicide. I'm sure a lot of people would say that it had nothing to do with the fact that he was adopted -- or not consider that aspect of the tragedy at all -- but this scares me. From some of the reading I've done here, I know... show more I heard today that Marie Osmond's son Michael, who was adopted, committed suicide. I'm sure a lot of people would say that it had nothing to do with the fact that he was adopted -- or not consider that aspect of the tragedy at all -- but this scares me. From some of the reading I've done here, I know that adoptees are more likely to kill themselves or commit patricide. How can I, an adoptive parent, try to ensure that my son doesn't have suicidal thoughts or tendencies? We talk openly about his adoption and nothing has ever been kept from him (information is shared in an age-appropriate way, of course -- he is only 9). He knows that he has my support in searching for his natural parents if he so chooses. What else can I do besides hope? I honestly want some answers if you have them. I'd hate to lose my son and I'd hate for him to be so depressed that he thinks killing himself is better than being alive.

Thanks.
17 answers 17