Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 10 years ago

I've noticed a trend...?

Perhaps this is just some phony observation that only applies to a select few people, but here's what I've noticed.

Alright, first, let's take a 13-year-old named Christian. Christian is almost completely unaware of rock music preceding these fateful weeks, save a few relatively well-known bands (the Bee Gees, in particular.) He discovers...the Beatles. That's right, you all know them. You've all heard of them. You all like at least one or two songs by them. But Christian...man, this guy LOVES the Beatles. He listens to Revolver seven times a week, Abbey Road fourteen times a day, Rubber Soul on constant repeat on his iPod every hour of the day (save when he's listening to the other Beatles records). Soon enough, he looks into other bands from that era, ones that had a sizable impact on rock music. First off, he gets into the Who, the Stones, and Zeppelin. Good bands, indeed. Before too long, however, Christian listens to "Like a Rolling Stone", and considers himself a connoisseur of rock, a musical genius, one who knows everything about art. He switches his profile image on all his favorite websites to a photo of Bob Dylan. His current favorite bands: the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, the Stones, the Who, Bob Dylan, Queen, and the Jimi Hendrix Experience. He's also getting into a few more pop bands from the time...Van Halen, Boston, Pink Floyd, the Byrds, David Bowie, and the likes. ESPECIALLY the Byrds and David Bowie. I mean, for God's sakes, if somebody doesn't like them, he must be some kind of, some kind of...some kind of musical prude!

Christian's taste continues to trail off. Music of the '60s, '70s, and '80s (on occasion) are all he listens to. Nothing else is any good. All classic rock, all the time.

One day two years later, however, Christian listens to a lesser known band of a lesser known genre. Let's say...he listens to a Faust album, and he absolutely adores it. He doesn't know why, and he can't particularly explain what he likes about them, but he DOES know that he loves them. They're just as good, if not BETTER, than the Beatles, in all aspects. But they can't be...but they are! So Christian listens to more and more Faust-like bands. Kraftwerk, Can, Amon Duul II, and other relatively obscure German bands fill his iPod. He no longer listens to those stereotypical '60s and '70s rock bands...he's moved on.

Does this happen often, or do I just need more subjects?

I wasn't implying that people were only allowed to listen to certain things.

I think I'm noticing another trend: 90% of the users on rock and pop can't answer a question without insulting the asker.

It's not about me...observations on Y!A, actually.

I'm not really into Krautrock, honestly. I like Kraftwerk and Can, but that's about it.

• Smiley
    Best Answer

I'd say this applies to more than half the people I've met/seen on Y!A R&P over the last 3 year or so. Some like to pretend they've had this knowledge all along to impress their followers (which I find hilarious), whilst others are quick to admit where they obtained their new found musical tastes/knowledge...from their fellow users here in R&P.

I have a cousin 15 years my junior, and he discovered his favorite bands in the same way you describe, though long before the internet. I remember during the very early 70's (he would have been about 7 or 8 years old) when I bought him a vinyl copy of the movie soundtrack for 'American Graffiti'. It contained many classics from the 1950's...Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, The Beach Boys, The Coasters, etc etc. He immediately fell in love with it. From there (around 1973-78) I slowly introduced him to bands like The Beatles The Stones, The Who, The Kinks, The Doors, Cream, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, etc etc...in that order...the very same order those bands appeared on the scene ten years earlier! I found this amazing to be able to witness this first hand. It was like my own little experiment, Lol.

He eventually discovered several other bands of the same era, that weren't as familiar to people his age at the time like...Electric Prunes, Vanilla Fudge, Iron Butterfly, It's A Beautiful Day, Velvet Underground, Strawbs, Blue Cheer, etc etc etc...from there he was on his own. His fascination with the Hard Rock and Progressive Rock of the 70's grew (nearly 10 year after the fact)...with the meat and potatoes bands such as; Yes, Aerosmith, King Crimson, Boston, ELP, Genesis...then encompassed the lesser known bands from those genres like; PFM, Agnes Strange, Gentle Giant, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, Budgie, Van der Graaf Generator, Cactus, etc. He was constantly discovering new (old) bands that I had been a fan of for many years at that point. His tastes inevitably led him towards Krautrock after I played him Thirsty Moon's debut album. He wanted more...so I taped him many albums by bands of that genre...at first he didn't really care for the more experimental Krautrock bands like Faust, Kraftwerk, Kluster, Tangerine Dream, Neu etc, and preferred the more hard rock, and progressive sounds of Krautrock bands like Jane, Novalis, Eloy, Grobshnitt, Satin Whale to name a few. Though over time he learned to appreciate the more experimental stuff as well.

He used to get teased a fair bit in school, as most High School students during the early 1980's were listening to a variety of mainstream bands...everything from Judas Priest, Nazareth, Aerosmith, Iron Maiden, Def Leppard etc...to Duran Duran, Tears For Fears, Ultravox, The Police, etc. Nobody had ever heard of the bands he was listening to. Though at that time, some did know of the classic old school bands from the 60's...but not to the extent of my cousin. Outside of the people who teased him, he did make many friends who were sort of like retro-hippies living in the 80's, and they helped carry the music of my generation (the 60's/70's) and bring it to the next generation. All this happened long before the internet...as did my exposure to music. These days all a young person has to do is log into their Yahoo account, or visit the vast array of music related websites out there and be turned on to a horde of excellent music. This is a good thing I suppose...but something is lost during this type of process/exposure I think. Call me old fashioned, Lol.

• Ruth

I think it is up to the individual to decide if they can forgive and want to work it out. If you are writing this because of the question that a man wrote about his cheating wife a minute ago then you should go back and reread it. He wanted to stay and forgive her. So I try to support him in that. If someone says they can't forgive (male or female) then I say move on then. It's all about the person and if they feel that they want to give it a chance. I see your point about it's worse if a wife cheats but I still don't agree. Yes it's horrible because a man's ego is fragile but women have a very hard time letting go of emotional pain. We cannot view a man's affair as purely physical. We see it as a betrayal the same way a man does. I think they are equally devastating.

Exactly. I was reading this book about the history of the music industry (for my senior project), and it mentions something called "rockism", which is "idolizing the authentic old legend (or the underground hero) while ignoring or mocking everybody else". Classic rock people and indie kids are especially guilty of this (I'm an an indie kid, I can say that), but really a lot of people do the same thing. Listen guys, you're not an expert on music if you only know the genre you listen to. Everyone thinks that their music is awesome and wants to know all about it. But if you think that music in general is awesome and base opinions about bands and artists on their own merits as opposed to how they relate to the music you listen to, only then can you say you really "love music".

in terms of the switching genres thing, yeah, everyone does that. I have a friend who only listened to punk in high school, to the point that he would put down every other genre because it didn't have "backbone". Every time I saw him, he was dressed like he thought he was Sid Vicious. However, I ran into him a few years later, and he told me he only listens to Jazz now. It made me laugh.

If you switch the bands around, that's basically me :D

So what you said is basically a natural progression. People need change in their lives, people will get bored from even their favorite things, in this case, the Beatles. So naturally we will try to look into similar artists and sounds from that era. As we discover more bands we like, we will grow more confident in our musical tastes and seek out more obscure or different sounding bands. We may find some amazing bands from...let's say the 90's (Nirvana, Soundgarden, Mudhoney) and try out different alternative or grunge bands. Or we may discover disco bands (Bee Gees, Donna Summer, Kool and the Gang) and despise this, this way, we know that person generally prefers rock music. So as we keep expanding our knowledge, we feel the need to improve, to sharpen and hone our musical knowledge. So by testing different genres, eras, and artists, we can create a taste unique to ourselves.

Phew!

PS: It's nice to see you back here!

People move on, and return, and move off in a different direction, and return, and wander off again...

I love every single artist you mentioned (except, frankly Queen, beyond their hits). All of them have given me lasting enjoyment in life. However, I have also gone through phases where I grew utterly burned out and tired of a group, genre, or even rock itself, and spend months or years on other music. Then, I'd return to some old favorites, rediscover them again (through older and wiser ears), and then head off in search of other stuff. The Beatles were my first-ever obsession, back when there were still four of them alive, if not necessarily together... But I seldom sit through a whole Beatle album anymore; I've heard them so many times, and my time left alive to hear new stuff grows shorter each year.

I had a prog rock phase like your friend, which deepened into a krautrock fascination. It lasted for a year, and then I burnt out on it and was off listening to afrobeat and the Velvets.

He may be back, he may not. He may focus on old music, he may eventually get excited by contemporary music. His tastes will mature and change, depending on his experiences. If he never returns to the old stuff, it's nothing to grieve over, and if he does, it doesn't really signify much beyond a desire to give them a second listen.

• Urn

That happens all the time. It's part and parcel of growing up. Well, for people who are particularly into music, at least.

Take me, for example. I was a die-hard Fall Out Boy fan. I loved them to bits, and bands like them. My favourite bands were Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, Panic At The Disco etc.

Now my favourite bands are Muse, Radiohead, Blur, Oasis, Gorillaz... blah blah blah... and I can't stand to listen to FOB anymore.

It was the same with my friend. She was mad about the Beatles and now she loves All Time Low. But my other friend still listens to whatever's in the charts, which brings me back to what I said about a change in your taste in music being normal for someone who is 'particularly into music'.

That's my philosophy, anyway.

• J

moral of the story: Faust and Can are better than the Beatles! i love it! XD

hmmm this kind of happened to me except with punk. i used to think i knew everything about music because i like Zeppelin and the lot. then i heard more obscure things and i liked them alot more! i still liked the other stuff but became way more open to new genres, artists, and such. now i hardly ever listen to the Beatles and Lynyrd Skynyrd and stuff like that . I even listen to this great music called hip hop that i used to mock because i didnt understand it. Thanks for this, i loved it

edit: actually replace anything i said about the Beatles with The Who, i never really cared much for The Beatles

Boston? the Beegees? I can understand most of your rant except these bands.

I see five models for music acquisition..

One is the people who listen to what their friends, relatives, and lovers listen to, this model is the base for most other models as well. Your parents' folkie ways can rear their heads at odd moments. When selecting music on their own, they reach for memory music, defined as music they have heard in the past, at a time they wish to remember. On their own they will never listen to anything new.

Two listens to the pop of his era, old music isn't considered, he is obsessed with a current trend, which he loves. This phase lasts roughly till he leaves college, after which his musical taste never expands again. He becomes a creature who will only listen to the music of his glory days.

Three is much like two, although he is not wedded to an era as much as a genre. Having declared metal, punk, reggae, bluegrass, rap or whatever the best music ever, he will never willingly listen outside of his chosen category again. He is wholly partisan. Some of these people will eventually stop gaining new music, some will still adopt new bands, as long as they conform to his "classic" strictures.

Four includes the same as one, but will also expand along the same encountered tastes. He knows he likes Neil Young, so listening to Neil Young first leads him into folk, grunge, and 60s classic rock. Liking Neil's grunge, he then explores band which are encapsulated by the term grunge. Liking Neil's folk, he looks into other folk music. Liking Neil's classic rock, he explores other similar bands. Those bands in turn lead him further and further, broadening his musical tastes. He searches for the new, not quite abandoning his old loves, but refusing to get lost in memories. The older he gets the stranger his tastes get, as the tendrils of his taste travel huge distances.

Five actively seeks out music without pre-judgement. His tastes ramble through the strange. He will range through all music genres, often leaping to radical new styles from a chance encounter. He will rarely listen to memory music. If you haven't seen this person for three years, you will shocked when the former Phishead has now shaved his head and only listens to hardcore.

Sounds like Christian is doing just fine, he like music itself are progressing. I've listened to a LOT of music in 50+ years and still feel overwhelmed by the mass of music I still haven't heard yet that's out there from all over the world. Can you imagine what it feels like for the youth of today just now coming into this vast world of music? Mind-boggling! It's a lifelong quest, get busy!

Wow, as SOON as you said "ESPECIALLY the Byrds and David Bowie" I KNEW this was about you. nice one.

but why the name Christian? Why?

But, err... you're the only one who I know who this has.... happened to? hrmm... maybe you should study teenagers more often! I bet there are tons of cases such as this one. but I really do appreciate your taste in music. I do believe I still would be listening to... KIDZ BOB if it weren't for you!

I'm sure you know who I am. I'm sure.

Good luck finding someone like you. It should happen within the next... hundred years or so. ;)

Source(s): The man in the sky?