Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

Why is "Ladies and Germs" funny? or why is it so popular?

Ever since I was a little one, I couldn't figure out why people said "Ladies and Germs" and then everyone got a chuckle out of that. Is there a famous comedian who made it popular? Or is it a lame pun going off of "gents?"

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It is a lame pun going off of "gentlemen" - I think it was popularized by Milton Berle on TV in the 1950's.

"Good evening, ladies and germs," Berle would say to his audience. "I mean ladies and gentlemen. I call you ladies and gentlemen, but you know what you really are."

You hear the "G" sound and naturally expect "Gentlemen" to follow "Ladies" - so it's humor from giving you a surprise instead of what you expect.

Eddie Izzard sometimes says "Ladies and Jellyspoons..." to achieve the same effect.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/AILak

Most kids at my school that are what I would consider "popular" (which actually includes myself) are: 1. Very smart 2. Athletic 3. Fun-loving 4. Act crazy at parties and dances 5. Are friendly to everyone 6. Don't bias friends on gender 7. Ethical 8. Flirtatious Maybe my school is a bit different... most of my friends go to church and are Christian. I wear a purity ring. But I like having fun. Flirting, having lots of friends, etc.... it's all part of having fun during the "best years," is it not? But everywhere is different, obviously. I consider "popularity" being nice and having tons of friends. I have a lot of friends, and I have straight A's, am very religious, and I just like to have fun. Popularity and stupidity can be associated with each other, but just because you're popular doesn't mean that you are stupid. EDIT: Wow, BoBiceLuver.... when you say that you aren't as "stupidd" as people think you are, are you serious?

• bahena
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Ladies And Germs

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

wrg,idts

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

Thought it was a Henny Youngman.

• 1 decade ago

Probably because men are sometimes gross

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.