? asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

Why is "Ladies and Germs" funny? or why is it so popular?

Ever since I was a little one, I couldn't figure out why people said "Ladies and Germs" and then everyone got a chuckle out of that. Is there a famous comedian who made it popular? Or is it a lame pun going off of "gents?"

Favorite Answer

It is a lame pun going off of "gentlemen" - I think it was popularized by Milton Berle on TV in the 1950's.

"Good evening, ladies and germs," Berle would say to his audience. "I mean ladies and gentlemen. I call you ladies and gentlemen, but you know what you really are."

You hear the "G" sound and naturally expect "Gentlemen" to follow "Ladies" - so it's humor from giving you a surprise instead of what you expect.

Eddie Izzard sometimes says "Ladies and Jellyspoons..." to achieve the same effect.

• Lucia

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/AILak

Most kids at my school that are what I would consider "popular" (which actually includes myself) are: 1. Very smart 2. Athletic 3. Fun-loving 4. Act crazy at parties and dances 5. Are friendly to everyone 6. Don't bias friends on gender 7. Ethical 8. Flirtatious Maybe my school is a bit different... most of my friends go to church and are Christian. I wear a purity ring. But I like having fun. Flirting, having lots of friends, etc.... it's all part of having fun during the "best years," is it not? But everywhere is different, obviously. I consider "popularity" being nice and having tons of friends. I have a lot of friends, and I have straight A's, am very religious, and I just like to have fun. Popularity and stupidity can be associated with each other, but just because you're popular doesn't mean that you are stupid. EDIT: Wow, BoBiceLuver.... when you say that you aren't as "stupidd" as people think you are, are you serious?

• bahena

Ladies And Germs

wrg,idts

Thought it was a Henny Youngman.

Probably because men are sometimes gross