Diesel
Lv 5
Diesel asked in SportsOlympics · 1 decade ago

What are some controversies surrounding the 2010 Winter Olympics?

I have a project for school in which I have to find a controversy in the Winter olympics and analyze it, and so far, I haven't found any cotroversy that I really want to work on. Feel free to provide a link.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Some important ones have already been brought up here, but I'll add a few. Along with the death of luger Nodar Kumaritashvili , the speed of the track for those events in general and all the accidents related to the track and the "50-50 curve" have generated the most controversy.

A lesser controversy was Evgeni Plushenko's comments before and after winning the men's skating silver medal.

Short track speedskating also always generates a lot of controversy with all the disqualifications and wipeouts.

One other topic is the Canadian women's hockey team's gold medal celebration, although I personally think this story has been overblown.

Good luck with your project!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Typical American arrogance that most of the complaints above relate to a minor incident with one of their darlings.

The only real 'controversy' if you want to call it that is the safety of the sliding track. Everything else is just standard behavior in sports. Missed calls, mistakes in calls, etc. Utterly unimportant .

I don't consider the sliding track a big issue, most competitors consider it less dangerous than some European tracks of similar level, but at least this issue revolves around safety and how far athletes should be going for a gold medal, not whether one athlete gets to add one more medal to his collection.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Pleshenko's (sp?) silver instead of Gold after doing a quad, Speedy Peterson's silver instead of Gold after doing the Hurricane, running the women's GS starts too close (ie, running Mancuso while Vonn was still on the course, so Mancuso had to run twice), and Ohno's questionable DQ. after touching the Canadian he was passing--the question being, did Ohno CAUSE the fall or not? (And the other question being whether a sole Canadian judge should have had the power to make that ruling when it gave a medal to an otherwise out-of-the-medals Canadian....

Source(s): TV<TV<TV. NBC.
  • 1 decade ago

Having Julia Mancuso out on her ski run before Lindsey Vonn, the skier in front of her, had completed her run.

It turns out that Vonn crashed and Mancuso, who had already started her run, had her run halted when she was half way down the hill.

Mancuso had a good time when she was stopped and she had to go back to the start and run again. She was not as fresh for the second run and instead of being in the top five after her first run and in contention for a medal, she was in 18th place and out of contention.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

look for the controversy surrounding Apllo Ohnos recent disqualification and the Mens figure skating gold medal controversy.

• 1 decade ago

Apolo Ohno was disqualified for "pushing" a Canadian skater out of the way. He did not push him at ALL. I am extremely pissed. And the Canadian skater in the lead pushed the Korean out of the way and he didn't get in trouble at all. Plus, a few days before a Canadian shoved Apolo out of the way and caused Ohno to almost lose his balance, and was the Canadian DQd? No.

• 1 decade ago

Quite a few have come from the short track skating rink

• 4 years ago

OMG!!!! Where did you find that? The USA questions were by far the most pranked. Canada has never liked us, BLAME CANADA!!!

• 1 decade ago

ohno dq yesterday in the short track finals, against a CANADIAN skater with a CANADIAN ref

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the dq of ohno and others for bumbing and also the THE BIG ONE IS DEATH OF LUGER FROM GEORGIA ON DAY ONE

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.