Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOlympics · 1 decade ago

Does anyone find it stupid that the IOC waited ten years to plan to take away a medal?

Favorite Answer

yes, the IOC are total idiots. they always have been. If the girls were in fact underage than that should be stripped and bronze medal should finally be awarded to the 4th place finisher. Im pretty sure those girls at the other olympics the chinese were in were underage as well.

They did it because her real birthdate was given in at the Beijing olympics when she did some type of work there. I would personally let China keep their team medals (I know that maybe I'm alone on here about this). If she had individual medals (which she doesn't), I would take them, however. As long as they don't ban China from worlds, though, I'm okay with it. I think it's unfair for the current Chinese gymnasts to pay for something that happened when they were very young.

Age will always be a problem with gymnastics. There are so many gymnasts who were proved to be underaged at some point, but there were never consequences (Marinescu, Bicherova, Agache, Mostepanova, Gogean, Silivas). Kim Gwang Suk got her consequences, but her medal was not taken. Personally, I believe that the banning was harsher than the medal, though. In my opinion, everyone deserves a chance to compete as a senior. There are also about 1 million others who's age has been questioned, like Omelianchik, Dobre (I think, even though I LOVE her), Cheng Fei in 2004, Yuanyuan in 1996, 1/2 of the 2008 chinese olympic team...

Gymnasts often peak at a young age, and are pushed along by coaches no matter what their age is.

If you read that report you will find it was the Gymnastics Federation that requested it, the IOC complied. Make sure you have the facts right before posting a question like yours.

I'm sick of the IOC (even the USOC) for Political Posturing to try to reinforce who's in charge.

They are a bunch of crooks who get paid on the side; against their own by-laws.

How can one respect ANY decision made by people like that ??

No. Lying about your age is lying. It's breaking the rules and is anyone suprised that China was caught with this particular problem? Does anyone really believe that China's 2008 team were all of age?

No one should be shocked that China was found to have lied about underage athletes. China will probably be more careful with their cover ups in the future.

I'm sick of the IOC and officials looking to disqualify and take away medals. That is not supposed to be what the spirit of the games is about.

Damn, how long does it take to verify an athlete's DOB and how hard can it be? Shouldn't that be handled when the athletes sign up to participate?

It's the IOC, what did you expect?

• scrgrl

More stupid that they're still doing it.

VERY