TicToc.... asked in SportsHockey · 1 decade ago

Canadian women’s hockey team celebration on ice: Do you people find this?

appropriate ?

Two thumbs up, two thumbs down, or a thumb up and one down.. What say you Yahoo people.

http://sports.espn.go.com/olympics/winter/2010/ice...

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

This has been rehashed several times but I'll speak on it again. I see nothing wrong with what the girls did. The facts on this seem a bit ignored.They were celebrating in the privacy of their locker room and only came out on the ice 1 hour after the game when the place was empty save for a few arena workers cleaning up and a small handful of photographers. The IOC asked them to come back on the ice for a photo shoot....I guess they could have put the celebration on hold but is that fair to them? Some overzealous media took advantage of what should have been a non story by posting photo's that didnt need to be public. Had they skated to the bench and broke out beer and cigars for the whole world to see then yes the media has an obligation to report the bad taste....this was private and they waited a full hour after the arena was cleared. Are we niave enough to think people who win the most important goal in their lives to that point dont celebrate? Those girls were unfairly taken advantage of by media who will do anything to further their own careers while willfully damaging the reputations of athletes that simply are enjoying one of the greatest moments in their lives. Surely the public isnt foolish enough to think those girls were the only ones to celebrate a gold medal with some bubbly, a beer and maybe even a good cigar....are we?

• Login to reply the answers
  • Snid
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Understandable maybe, but not particularly appropriate. Where was their coach?

When questionable photos of the US snowboarder celebrating surfaced he was asked to leave the country. You can hardly do that to the Canadian girls. The only thing that bothers me is the fact that some of the girls were under age and were seen drinking. They are supposed to be role models for younger kids.

They deserved to celebrate. They should have gone back to the locker room to do it after the photo shoot. They admitted that they made a mistake. The real mistake was that they got caught.

It's over. It's not like things like this haven't happened before and won't happen again. Let's just remember what a great team those women are!

I'll give a thumbs up and a thumbs down.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Personally, I was a little disappointed in the Canadian women's team, not because of what they were doing, but where they were doing it. Lets not forget this is the Olympics. However, at the same time i am not one to crucify people for their mistakes. The Canadian women probably should have waited until they were in their locker room, but at the same time it's not every day you win a gold medal. All in all i think the team should apologize and move on with their lives.

• 1 decade ago

One thumb down.

I don't think what they did was as bad as those are making it out to be. But i do believe you have to show a little bit of class in such an international stage. Wait till you get to the bar then do whatever you want. Do lines off a stripper belly for all I care. However you are in international spotlight immediately following the game and Olympics committee wants to keep the program classy. any one with common sense would have known that this would be frowned upon. Especially with a sport that gets such scrutiny already.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I still don't understand why they did it on the ice. Why not in the dressing room or something? But, it's not like they did it in front of the crowd. They waited until everyone had left except for some media crews. But come on, when you win Olympic gold, of course your gonna "party like a rock- party like a rock star."

• 1 decade ago

Two thumbs down. Inappropriate. These are Olympic athletes, not high school players. They are the best of the best and should behave accordingly.

• 1 decade ago

As an American it was disrespectful.

Two thumbs down

• 1 decade ago

i'm sure the americans would have done it.

it's simply a celebration.

because they're female and canadian, they're put under speculation?

it's simply not fair.

and it's not like they're 16, smoking and drinking.

also, it's not that they were smoking anything illegal.

they won on that ice, they can celebrate on that ice.

• Two up!!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.