Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysValentine's Day · 10 years ago

A Valentine's Day exercise for grade school children... tell me if it is good?

For the teachers out there--the exercise:

You pass out a paper to each student that has the names of each student in the class on the left side of the page and a line to write in "What you like about this person." Everyone gets a sheet... they don't put their name on it (anonymous). They make a comment about everyone in the class.

The teacher than takes these papers home and put together the comments for each person... if someone doesn't have any positive comments then the teacher throws in a few of her own.

Next day, teacher reads comments outloud in class. Everyone will have very uplifting comments (any negatives you throw out)... girls that don't think they are pretty realize for the first time that there are boys in the class that think they are pretty... same with boys... they realize there are girls in the class that are attracted to them... for various good reasons...

Believe it or not... this little exercise will have a lasting positive impact on kids.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Best Answer

MAKE SURE YOU READ TO THE END YOU WILL BE HAPPY YOU DID

He was in the first third grade class I taught at Saint Mary’s School in Morris, Minn. All 34 of my students were dear to me, but Mark Eklund was one in a million. Very neat in appearance, but had that happy-to-be-alive attitude that made even his occasional mischievousness delightful.

Mark talked incessantly. I had to remind him again and again that talking without permission was not acceptable. What impressed me so much, though, was his sincere response every time I had to correct him for misbehaving - “Thank you for correcting me, Sister!” I didn’t know what to make of it at first, but before long I became accustomed to hearing it many times a day.

One morning my patience was growing thin when Mark talked once too often, and then I made a novice teacher’s mistake. I looked at Mark and said, If you say one more word, I am going to tape your mouth shut!” It wasn’t ten seconds later when Chuck blurted out, “Mark is talking again.” I hadn’t asked any of the students to help me watch Mark, but since I had stated the punishment in front of the class, I had to act on it. I remember the scene as if it had occurred this morning. I walked to my desk, very deliberately opened my drawer and took out a roll of masking tape. Without saying a word, I proceeded to Mark’s desk, tore off two pieces of tape and made a big X with them over his mouth. I then returned to the front of the room. As I glanced at Mark to see how he was doing, he winked at me. That did it! I started laughing. The class cheered as I walked back to Mark’s desk, removed the tape, and shrugged my shoulders. His first words were, “Thank you for correcting me, Sister.”

At the end of the year, I was asked to teach junior-high math. The years flew by, and before I knew it Mark was in my classroom again. He was more handsome than ever and just as polite. Since he had to listen carefully to my instruction in the “new math,” he did not talk as much in ninth grade as he had in third. One Friday, things just didn’t feel right. We had worked hard on a new concept all week, and I sensed that the students were frowning, frustrated with themselves and edgy with one another. I had to stop this crankiness before it got out of hand. So I asked them to list the names of the other students in the room on two sheets of paper, leaving a space between each name. Then I told them to think of the nicest thing they could say about each of their classmates and write it down. It took the remainder of the class period to finish their assignment, and as the students left the room, each one handed me the papers. Charlie smiled. Mark said, “Thank you for teaching me, Sister. Have a good weekend.” That Saturday, I wrote down the name of each student on a separate sheet of paper, and I listed what everyone else had said about that individual.

On Monday I gave each student his or her list Before long, entire class was smiling. Really?” I heard whispered. “I never knew that meant anything to anyone!” I didn’t know others liked me so much.” No one ever mentioned those papers in class again. I never knew if they discussed them after class or with their parents, but it didn’t matter. The exercise had accomplished its purpose. The students were happy with themselves and one another again.

That group of students moved on. Several years later, after I returned from vacation, my parents met me at the airport. As we were driving home, Mother asked me the usual questions about the trip, the weather, my experiences in general. There was a lull in the conversation. Mother gave Dad a sideways glance and simply says, “Dad?” My father cleared his throat as he usually did before something important. “The Eklunds called last night,” he began “Really?” I said. “I haven’t heard from them in years. I wonder how Mark is.” Dad responded quietly. “Mark was killed in Vietnam,” he said. “The funeral is tomorrow, and his parents would like it if you could attend.” To this day I can still point to the exact spot on I-494 where Dad told me about Mark.

I had never seen a serviceman in a military coffin before. Mark looked so handsome, so mature. All I could think at that moment was, “Mark, I would give all the masking tape in the world if only you would talk to me.” The church was packed with Mark’s friends Chuck’s sister sang “The Battle Hymn of the Republic.” Why did it have to rain on the day of the funeral? It was difficult enough at the graveside. The pastor said the usual prayers, and the bugler played taps. One by one those who loved Mark took a last walk by the coffin and sprinkled it with holy water

• 3 years ago

I have identical recollections of Valentine's Day then additionally handiest our trainer made certain we made a valentine for each and every classmate in our college. This was once a one room nation college so there weren't many children, however it was once an occasion all of us seemed ahead to. All Holidays had been precise parties in that college on account that I too can keep in mind having college performs at Christmas within the night whilst all people's father and mother attended (again within the day earlier than divorces).

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

And I will always remember it. Yes, it does leave a lasting impression and I think a nice addition to this might be to type up all the comments for each student individually, and pass them out for them to keep... It would be a nice little reminder that they can pull out and read a whole page of nice things that their classmates said about them. :)

My ONLY reservation is the word "comment". (They make a comment about everyone in the class)

I think you should change it to "compliment". That way there is no way for mean ones to slip in, and it teaches children to always try to look for that "something good" in everyone.

I would stress that there is something good about everyone - everyone has their own strengths and learning to recognize the strengths in others is one of the most important skills a person can master.

• 10 years ago

This seems more like a statement then a question, but it'd be a good exercise for 2nd-4th graders (coming from a 6th grader so I know what I'm talking about). But only if the thrown in comments werent obious.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

I think this is a really good exercise. Kids need to know, if somebody (except their parents) care about them. That is a really cute idea, I wish my teachers would have done something like that.

• 10 years ago

Nope, so either your expecting kids to be nice, which will not happen.

OR your going to lie to children when they could potentially find out, ruining your reputation and setting a poor example.

Let kids be kids, if we give everyone a moral booster then people will not learn to cope with a bad situation.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.