Muslim women/converts...?

I always thought that women who are Muslim or women who've converted to Islam have to wear the Hijab? That's why I was always confused whenever I watched videos on women who've converted over to Islam, not wearing a Hijab. Shouldn't you be wearing a Hijab if you're Muslim/you convert? The... show more I always thought that women who are Muslim or women who've converted to Islam have to wear the Hijab? That's why I was always confused whenever I watched videos on women who've converted over to Islam, not wearing a Hijab. Shouldn't you be wearing a Hijab if you're Muslim/you convert?

The more I read about Islam, the more i'm starting to like the religion more and more. If I were to convert, which I have been considering it, the only part i'm worried about is the Hijab. I bought one to see what i'd look like with it on and I like it. I felt good wearing it actually. I didn't go out in public with it on though. I'm just scared of what people will think of me. Or if they will judge me since I wasn't born muslim. I hate thinking like that because it shouldn't matter what other people think.How can I stop thinking this way? I'm just worried about what friends and family will think. Mostly family. I know my family won't accept it. I'm scared if i convert,they won't speak to me anymore. My friends don't care though if I were to convert because i've asked them before.

Also,I would love to have Muslim women as friends. I see Muslim girls walking around campus all the time. I would love to be friends with them and learn more about religion from their point of view but i'm scared to just come up out of no where when they don't even know me and ask because I don't want them thinking i'm some weirdo or anything. Any suggestions? :-x