~ Libby ~ asked in SportsOlympics · 1 decade ago

Why is the IOC so uptight about the Canadian Women's Hockey celebration?

RECAP -- After winning, they returned to the ice with beer and cigars.

I thought it was great !!!!

Why is the IOC "drawing the line" on Propriety, when the Olympics LOST it's "Greatness" as soon as Professionals were allowed to participate & Commerciality became more important??

Who are they kidding, acting all "Proper" ?? :)) LOL

I was routing for the American Gals, but I mean... How often does someone win a Gold Medal --

LET THEM CELEBRATE for goodness sakes !!!!!

( remember Brandi Chastain after the World Cup win ? )

Okay - You know where I stand.

How about you?

MQ2 -- Do you agree with the IOC finding it "in bad taste"?

MQ3 -- What do the Olympics represent to you, now that you do not have to be an Amateur to participate?

Last comment -- I guess I'm just tired of people being "bent out of shape" because of Celebrations.

This was a once in lifetime moment (most likely) ... and now these Gals are "apologizing" etc...

.

.

BQ -- Do you find it funny, when people complain about a Q being asked...

...and yet they answer it ? LOL

.

.

Oh -- I didn't know about the "underage" thing.

My bad !!

.

.

"Harley" -- :)) LOL

good one !! :)

.

Favorite Answer

Where was the IOC's line of propriety when they were accepting prostitutes as gratuities from the Salt Lake City Olympic Committee? Oh... but let THESE girls go a little wild and they suddenly get all tight-@ss? The IOC/UN/EU/CFR/IMF etc etc SSSUUUCCCKKKK!

MQ2: No

MQ3: I disagree w you on this one. I'd rather have the best athletes in the world competing, rather than the best amateur athletes. Leave that to the AAU. The old "no pro" rule was actually an "Anti-American" rule, because when it was instituted, the USA was essentially the only country that had true professional athletes anyway. This way, we really see who the superior athletes are... USA BABY!

"Why is the IOC "drawing the line" on Propriety,..."

Propriety? Since when? The IOC allows anyhone on Earth to go Country Shopping for a spot on a team. We' ve got people representing nations they have never set foot in. The worst skier in the Woman's Slalom finished 35.71 seconds behind the winner. This person who did this is not a serious athlete. She's a tourist who wanted to add Olympic Competitor to her resume.

What the difference between the Olympics and American Idol? The real bad singers on American Idol don't get a free trip to Los Angeles.

To be honest, I don't think anything big will come out of the matter. They will get a minor reprimand from the IOC and the issue will then be swept under the carpet and forgotten.

• Mr.B

The IOC isn't uptight about it. They've already said they won't investigate. And the Olympics are much better with professionals, I want to see the very best in the world not somebody who might be the best five years from now.

The ladies on the team should have known better - go ahead and celebrate but keep it away from the media and cameras. Especially if you're giving a beer to someone who is underage. But not a huge issue. Apologies were issued, I'm sure the team was told "don't let it happen again" and that's it.

Let's move on to the next story.

@Harley Drive - LOL, so true.

Ah, you got a star, I'll give you one, too!

I think it's a bunch of PC posturing about the home team struttin' their stuff...

Winning graciously is certainly a fine attribute, but it's most likely that Team USA might have gloated when beating Team Canada in the past, that's my guess anyway.

The IOC is trying to retain a modicum of professionalism that doesn't exist in mainstream sports in North America.

I was in SLC in 2002, and up close and personal with the Norwegians. What a strange group of people! About as tightly wound as you could imagine, and they had horrible ugly habits, some of them, like smoking cigarettes and throwing the butts in the toilets.

Not all were like this, and some were in fact nice, but they were a strange people, collectively, and I can see how cultures like this would find the behavior offensive.

Some of the players were 18. The legal drinking age in British Columbia is 19.

• Jav

Look, its all good that they're celebrating their win and having a good time, but that kind of celebration should stay in the locker room.

I can understand the IOC being annoyed by this. It doesn't exactly portray the best image to have drunk hockey players laying on the ice.

Because of the public underage drinking on the ice. No one else has done that, all the others obeyed the rules.

It was a dumb thing to do, the coach should have gotten them in the locker room to celebrate and there would be no problem.

It was due to it being on ice, and pictures in the media. It was completely avoidable.

Edit -best answer is @Harley Drive :)

I'm thinking the girls were in the heat of the moment and the leadership was absent whilst in celabrato`. No harm ~ no foul, we were all young once and some of us also played hockey and know how hard they worked to get where they were standing~ with Gold Medals to boot. I wonder how all would have felt had they ripped their shirts off? Something to think about, hmmm? (BC World Cup)

A lot of it has to do with many of the team member being under drinking age, and celebrating so while still on the ice.