which gun should i buy?

for christmas i got a 150 dollar cabelas card. i also have about 600 dollars saved up. i am looking at a nice russian 1945 sks carbine for 260 dollars. i am also looking at a remington 870 12 gauge for 300 dollars. any other requests would be nice too. i hunt deer and want to get into bird hunting. i live in Canada and dont have a restricted PAL so no handguns or AR-15s. give me some suggestions please!

newel- I have a Remington 700 in 270! i just want to buy another gun so i have more than one option!

Best Answer

I don't know how much of that cash you want to dip into. But you could get a Rossi combo. It has .243 rifle for deer, 20 gauge shot for bird, and .22 rimfire for plinking or varmint.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/produc...

Source(s): cabela's.

The shotgun could be used for birds and for deer with a slug barrel, but that would not be my first choice. The SKS is not much of a hunting rifle in my opinion.

Don't get in a hurry, look around, and learn what is available. You may have enough money to buy an inexpensive (new) shotgun and rifle if you really shop around. You may not have enough to put a scope on the rifle, but you can do that later. More money can buy a truly fine gun, but often only buys a better looking one.

Stick with well know guns in standard calibers .30-06, .270... and you won't be disappointed. The bolt action rifle is the most popular rifle because it is strong, accurate, dependable, and you seldom need/get a second shot.

Source(s): Over 50 years of shooting, hunting, reading, and studying... Buck@score-your-hunting.com

I'm not sure if it's true about the 870, but Mossberg 500 shotguns have easily interchangable barrels. You could use it for hunting birds and deer, for about $350 all told. If you don't want to do that, I would suggest a Mosin-Nagant bolt action. The gun fires a more powerful and flatter-shooting round than the SKS, and it costs a hundred less.

• randy

The SKS is ok, kinda fun to shoot, and minimal for deer, but will work with proper hunting ammo. The 870 is great, but you might want to look at the mossberg combo PACK that offers both a short barrel (18 1/2") for deer hunting with slugs and home defense, and a longer barrel for bird hunting for about the same price as the 870.

Shoot safe

Source(s): Retired Police Officer NRA certified police firearms instructor Competition shooter (ret) Avid hunter since age 9 with: Archery Black powder firearms Handguns Modern rifles Shotguns Trained at S&W, COLT and GLOCK Armorer schools I specialize in building 1911 pistols and AR 15 rifles And ran a gun shop for many years SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM. “If you want peace, prepare for war”

I have a Rossi Trifecta that is a interchangeable barreled gun my package has a .22 (A squirrel gun)

A .243 (A great deer gun) And a 20 gauge (A bird gun and self defense gun) All for around $300 I think

Depends on what you want it for hunting or snipping? and this is not a joke.

For hunting a british 303 or 308, a 223 is very good if you are hunting wild bore you will want a 300 mag.

for deer dont go bigger than a 270 its just pointlessly tearing meat up and if you are a good shot it wont matter

Source(s): experience and freinds of experience

Buy a Remington or Savage bolt action rifle in .270, with a 2x-7x Power Leupold Scope, and get a leather sling. Get it with wood, and not the ugly plastic stock.

By the way, you can buy very high quality used bolt action rifles (Winchester, Sako, Brno) over the internet (in America at least) for a very small price ($300-$400). I am not certain if you can do this in Canada.