If Dale Earnhardt Junior's dad and grandfather hadn't been famous NASCAR drivers, would he still be famous?

I mean, honestly? Was he good at the beginning of his career? Would he have so many fan's if he wasn't related to Dale Sr. and Ralph Earnhardt?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Best Answer

He must be over the hill. I used to hear about how he didn't have the car, then he didn't have the crew chief, then the car again, then the crew chief again. On and on. He is just over the hill, thats all.

• 10 years ago

I am sure his connections helped open doors. But he won two Busch series championships

and had a very good first few seasons in cup.

His fan base might be a lot smaller if it were not for his father but I am sure it would still be larger than many others because he comes across as an everyday person.

• 10 years ago

It's hard to say and why bother. You must be around 20 not to remember.

He's ranked 10th out of 33 current/active drivers who have won atleast 1 race.

Jr. has won 18 Cup races. The same number as Harry Gant and Niel Bonnett. Kevin Harvick and Kasey Khane both have 11 wins.

There are 23 current drivers who have never won a race. So Jr. is actually ranked 10th out of 56 total active drivers.

YES, he used to win alot. He only competed full time in 2 season's of the Nationwide series and won the championship both years!

In 2004 at Daytona, he swept the weekend and won the 125, the Nationwide race and the Daytona 500.

Career stats 365 starts. 18 wins. 89 top 5's. 143 top 10's. 8 poles.

Cup wins by year:

1999--0

2000--2

2001--3

2002--2

2003--2

2004--6 <----wow!

2005--1

2006--1

2007--0

2008--1 <----swept Daytona speedweek races.

2009--0

JR. also has Bud Shootout and All-Star wins!!!

Richard Petty didn't win 1 race in the last 7 year's of his career. If you started watching him during those year's would you be asking what's so great about Richard Petty, is it because of his dad Lee Petty!?!?!

Source(s): Jayski.com.....Can't thumb down the fact's.
  • 10 years ago

Obviously you don't know what you are talking about. Just like any other driver, they are around racing from a young age and that's what gets them into the sport. It just so happens that Jr's dad was Sr and he was one of the best ever in Nascar. Jr didn't just walk into the sport and keep a ride because of his dad. He had to earn it. 2 consecutive busch series championships and 15 wins in his first 5 seasons in cup. He has stats very similar to Kyle Busch's over that period of time. It's just that the last 5 years he has had little success. So I would say that he got the opportunity to race from his dad and grandpa, but he had to earn what he accomplished and noone drove the car for him. With the success he had early in his career noone could say at that time that he was there because of anyone but himself. He will contend for championships before his career is over.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • E
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

He ISN'T famous. He is POPULAR. There is a huge difference between the two.

If his dad and grandfather never raced, he wouldn't be nearly as popular as he is.

• 10 years ago

That's a good question. There are two ways to reach the top level in NASCAR. Your name does get you in and its the easy way. Then if you work your way up just like he did. His dad put him in ARCA and let him raced through the levels. So Yes he still be in the sport

• 10 years ago

Probably not he probably wouldn't even be racing right now if his dad and grandpa weren't NASCAR drivers, and he definately wouldn't be famous

• 10 years ago

yes i think there would be a great out come of dales furture because hes tough,strong,hard heared and not scared to bump draft! he goes for the gold as they say! yes i think strongly dale will be a picture of his dad as he grows older!

Source(s): myself
  • 10 years ago

Probably not. Still, he has been around racing all his life, so that's what he knows best. He's pretty good at it now. Everyone has to start somewhere.

• 10 years ago

I really don't think so, Dale Sr. was the one who got him into NASCAR racing in the first place.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

He's a great restrictor plate racer I believe he holds the record for most wins at a restrictor plate track. But I doubt he'd have a full time ride now if he wasn't related.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.