Nicole asked in SportsHockey · 10 years ago

Why is the IOC bashing the Canadian Women's celebration so harshly?

The Canadian Women's hockey team won the gold for the Olympics, if you didn't already know.. (Which I hope you did.)

They were sighted to be celebrating on the ice rink with beer and cigar's. So what? I'll admit, US is being rather tight-as*es about it. I mean really... Our football teams do it too. Our most popular commercials ARE beer advertisement's.

It was pretty stupid for them to be doing it in front of publicity, especially with underage girl's. Durr.

Anyway, what's your input?

Favorite Answer

First, someone who was underage was drinking, and the IOC frowns upon that.

Second....sorry to ask a question within my answer but, is it easier to clean cigar ash and alcohol off of ice or a locker?

I think they should have just had that type of celebration behind closed doors. It's not that I think women shouldn't celebrate like that (they won the gold medal; light up if you want). It's that, with an underage person on the team, it's easier to deny things when it happens behind closed doors than when it's in the open.

This is stupid. They celebrated after all the fans left and there was only them in the arena and a few media people. The "underaged" girl in question is 18 and will be 19 in a month. In quebec where she is from and pretty much everywhere else in Canada the legal age is 18. The local law states that there it is 19. She probably didn't know but should have been told.

Emma - Other athletes were allowed to train there. It is in the IOC rules.

I am sick of people making athletes into roll models. They work hard at training to be competitive in their sport. Do you think that really consider "Wow! People are really going to look up to me when all this training gives me the gold at the Olympics."

There are lessons to be learned from them as far as working hard to achieve a goal. However, they are human like the rest of us. Personally I don't care that that lit up fat stogies and had a brew to celebrate. There were moms and dads all across the country doing the same thing and I don't see the IOC investigating them. Did they break the law? No. There might be a restriction from smoking in the building, but that is a legal matter for the local authorities to enforce. I believe they sell beer in the venue, so that is just the height of hypocrisy.

The IOC is doing it because stupid people are out there saying, "Oh my God! They are being a bad roll model for our children!" And so they are offended that these grown women athletes would do something so horrible! So in order to look proactive they are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Unless somebody is going to strip them of their gold medals, I have no desire to worry about this story. I think my kids and us will be able to keep my grand-kids safe from their evil influence.

It's just something for the IOC to do. Otherwise, what is the point of having an IOC?

Does the IOC itself have a minimum drinking age? The drinking age of the host country is one thing but then let the host country decide how they want to enforce their own laws.

The IOC is trying to act like the Olympics are sacrosanct and these girls a tarnishing the games.

But the truth is ever since they started letting professional athletes "compete" it's all about the marketing and primetime coverage.

• As noted...

Much ado about nothing other than choice of venue.

So Bob Nicholson (head of Hockey Canada) can write a nice "we're super-duper sorry, IOC" letter and everyone can sign it, and be done with it.

I will only hope our women's team were tasteful enough to at least smoke quality cigars!

Snowboarder Scott Lago was sent home after a girl kissed his medal. I think everyone knows that story. He was out at a bar and didn't do anything illegal. The IOC asked him to go home. I thought that was a bad decision. No matter what the IOC does with the underage drinkers the decision will be controversial no matter what. It was a great victory. However what they did was REALLY stupid.

• the IOC isnt just the US...its a bunch of countrys. and some of the HOCKEY players were underage and the whole theme of the olympics is to be respectful and responsible.. the asked Lago, US snowboarder, to leave Vancouver because of a picture. at least be smart enough to do that in private...

because it was against the IOC rules of sportsman like conduct

also a minor was drinking beer i know the drinking age is 19 in that part she is 18

it should been done in the locker room.. the drinking and smoking

then nothing would of bee said more than likely

I think it's because it was women doing it (not trying to be sexist). It is kind of setting a bad image though. If you want to party, go out afterwards and save it for there, not on the ice where your image could be ruined over a few cigars and beers.

Not a smart move by the Canadian women. Oh and trust me if it were the US, we woulda never heard the end of it from the Canadiens.

• thelau

This is the IOC, which is like the NFL when it comes to celebrations. Party-poopers....

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/blog/fo...

But I do see them doing this to cover their own legal butts. Even if it's just provincial (and, possibly, municipal) laws the girls violated, they have to make it look like they're doing something about it to save face.