Steven
Steven asked in SportsOlympics · 1 decade ago

IOC to investigate Canadian women's hockey team for celebration?

Just read where the IOC is investigating the Canada hockey girls for smoking cigars and drinking alcohol (some under age) on the rink after the medal ceremony.

Thoughts??

• Mr.B
    Favorite Answer

Yeah, it's true.

After the arena was empty, the Canadians took their celebration out of the dressing room and onto the ice. An AP reporter saw this and apparently asked IOC officials which prompted the investigation.

One member was under age by BC laws, but legal in Alberta (where she is from).

My thoughts:

1. They should have known better

2. Especially with the under age girl

3. Smoking (of any kind) is disgusting

4. It's absolutely pathetic that the reporter ran out and tattled on them to make a story for himself

5. Be extremely careful when a gazillion news outlets are looking anywhere to get a story

Unfortunate, mildly embarrassing, an apology has been issued, somebody's wrist will get slapped and the whole thing wil be forgotten in a couple of days.

Edit: Shoe Lady, I tell Americans on here to stop spreading lies, so I'll also tell the Canadians: the US team did not stomp on our flag, that was a lie and we need to move on.

To be honest, I don't think anything big will come out of the matter. They will get a minor reprimand from the IOC and the issue will then be swept under the carpet and forgotten.

Big deal, the IOC is not exactly the benchmark of morality and ethics. Let the team celebrate their Gold without a bunch of puritanical hypocrites spoiling the party.

Personally as long as they weren't being drunken idiots about it, I say they can have it. Jon Montgomery won gold for skeleton and he walked around swigging an entire jug of beer at Whistler Village. Also, Alex Bilodeau was toasted by the CTV crew live on set. They opened a bottle of champagne, congratulated him on the first gold for Canada on home soil, and then poured tiny shot glass sizes of champagne for him, his brother, his underage sister, and their parents. They all drank on national live television. Neither of those athletes were reprimanded or investigated in either of those incidences. Why now is my question? Why is it such a big deal? They worked their @$$es off and so what if they want to celebrate? Female Canadian athletes generally have to fund themselves, especially womens hockey! So I think they deserve it, considering they never get any attention except during the Olympics. Leave them alone!

• Bill P

If the game has finished, the medals had been distributed and the fans and others had gone home. What's the problem.

I'm not saying it was right or not. But if it was on their own time, then that's their business. End of story.

The US team are just sore losers!!!! What about the time the US team stomped on the Canadian flag!!!! Did anyone do anything then? No!!!!! They were just a bunch of ladies having a good time. Would it have been better if they were partying out on the streets?? Let the athletes enjoy their victory they have earned it.

Half of the members on th IOC were bribed with hookers and blow for their vote for the host city .I find it quite hypocritical that they preach a strict moral code .

Yes they did, and it's pretty trashy, I think.

I'm not naive, though: I'm sure many of the underage winners have had alcohol after winning.

But to do it right there on the ice? Real smart, ladies! Maybe they should've brought out a bong while they were at it! lol

• ginger

They act like dudes. Maybe they should investigate that.

I hope it's not true :(

Source(s): Canadian