Raz asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 10 years ago

How do you say "lose" in french? (context below)?

I am trying to say "I think its because they are afraid to lose their culture to the immigrants" I have "Je pense que c’est parce que ils ont peur de pendre leur patrimoine culturel à la culturel des immigrés" I went to my professor today and she said to look up the verb to lose, since prendre is correct. However there are a ton of dictionary entries for lose and I am not sure which one is correct. Can anyone tell me what the correct verb is to use here?

Best Answer

perdez

Lose is perdre

If you want to say that they are afraid the immigrants' culture will replace their culture you should say :

"Parce qu'ils ont peur de perdre leur culture au profit de celle des immigrés"

au profit = in favour of / To the profit of

"prendre" does NOT mean to lose, it means "to take"; "to lose", in practically every context of the word, is "perdre" in French; it also means "to miss" (as in "miss the bus")

I think you're confusing "prendre" (to take) with "perdre" (to lose).

perdre is to lose,

«perdre»