What is better to learn Aikido or Japanese Jujutsu?

What is better to learn Aikido or Japanese Jujutsu? I have doubts about Aikido's training and Judos lack of self defence focus

Favorite Answer

I have studied Aiki-jiujitsu, Aikido, and Japanese Jujutsu. I don't claim to be an expert in any of them. But, I do have some basic first hand knowledge about them (and I have studied research about them too). Aiki JJ is bascially just like Aikido (or my school was anyway).

Aikido does take a long time. Once you get up to the black belt level (or close to it) you have some decent skills. You watch an Aikido black belt and it's hard not to be impressed with their skill. But, that is like 8 years of Aikido training to get there. Aikido is mostly unique over the other martial arts because it is concious about not overly hurting your attacker. It's focus on defense and restraint make it good for people that requrie that. But, sometimes in a wild and wooly attack, Aikido's perfect-like neatness may not be good enough. One glaring promblem with such a strong attack is Aikido's lack of groundfighting skills. What is an Aikidoka going to do when he is mounted by an attacker?

A lot of martial arts look great and neat in the dojo. I have seen demostrations of Brazillian Jiujitsu done by the Gracie Brothers. Their demonstraion looked really clean, neat, quick, crisp. Now, I have seen those exact same Gracie brothers in MMA cagefights. In those cagefights there technique didn't look as clean at all. Their technique in those fights was very good, yes, but, not as pure as in a demonstration. Now, apply that to Aikido. Aikido isn't going to look so pretty in an actual street attack. An Aikidoka won't be able to do everything exactly like how he wants to. The attacker will resist him in anyway he can. Will Aikido be able to cope? What if an attacker starts landing some heavy strikes on the Aikidoka? Will the Aikidoka be able to handle them (when his training has not prepared him to take a hit)? What if the Aikidoka finds himself on the ground and his attacker standing above him (Aikido has no preparation for this position either)?

Now, a good Aikidoka can always improvise. He doesn't have to have exact preaparation for every eventuality. I read in an Aikido book of an Aikidoka facing a Muay Thai boxer. The Aikidoka had never dealt with that style and had never dealt with kicks. Subsequently, the Aikidoka took the MT boxer down and submitted him. So, there is one example of Aikido improvising. But, Aikido, needs a long time in the cooker (to meld together, perfect moves and strategies) to be able to handle itself so well. On the lower levels it isn't that strong.

Now, Japanese Jujutsu is different. I have found it more practial than Aikido. It does have Aikido-like wristlocks and throws. But, that is just a part of JJ. JJ also has many moves like Judo and Karate. These extra elements are what puts it above Aikido in my opinion. The availability of different options. As I mentioned above, Aikido's arsenal of moves is limited. JJ's moves as a whole cover a lot.

So, you start learning practial moves that can work off the bat at white belt level. Aikido doesn't become that effective until much later. You will have moves you can use and a wide buffet of choices to choose from.

Now, the "problem" with JJ is sometimes their traditional approach to sparring and/or competition. The more traditional schools won't allow sparring like in Judo. It will be cooperative sparring so, no one can get hurt. You will be allowed to do your techniques but, your opponet won't be resisting you 100% like they do in Judo. They will cooperate to make it safe. Some JJ schools do this, mine does. But, some will practice sport Jujutsu or Judo to make it more practical, depends on the school. So, if your school does just the traditional approach, you need to be aware of the pros and cons of cooperative sparring vs. full-contact sparring.

Japanese Jujutsu is "better" than Aikido in my opinion. It takes a lot less time to get down, has a lot more moves that can apply to different situations, has groundfighting, and approaches things from a street self-defense point of view. It would be a better choice unless you want to take the time the longer amount of time to learn Aikido.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): learn aikido japanese jujutsu: https://tr.im/pb6xR
  • rhew

Learn Aikido

in my opinion traditional is exactly that traditional old ways. If you want to survive a self defense situation, you need "NEW" or Modern training. Aikido is a great art but takes years and years to master, the years and years for the techniques to become effective, because you have to have the exact, precise position to pull off most of the techniques in aikido, which is going to be extremely hard while your opponent is trying to punch you in the face, stab you, take you down, ect ect ect Japanese Jujutsu again is very traditional and was created for the samurai to have a close quarters combative style, for fighting in full armor, and also with their weapons. You can go ahead and try them but be very aware that there are alot of garbage dojo's or schools out there that don't teach the true styles.

I recommend looking into krav maga, brazilian jiu jitsu, and muay thai. Just my opinion, and I mean no disrespect to the old traditions because they are the basis of all martial arts today, but modern is what works in today's world.

• Shaman

That would depend more on who's teaching it and how they are teaching it.... Done properly, there is a serious overlap in technique from the two arts. (Same kind of joint manipulations and throws.)

There is really just a difference in execution and approach.

However, there is a proliferation of Aikido teachers out there who learn to "dance" more than to deal with real matters of combat. It's a long history lesson as to why that is, but my best suggestion is go observe a class at each program. See which one appeals to you more.

Be well.

please stop asking questions....

instead of wasting time on here, thinking of what styles too, and pondering the endless combination's, why don't you call up some dojo's and actually go there and try them out.