Michael Jackson's impact on music and dancing?

How did he effect it. like wat other artists use his dance moves? how has michael contributed on the dance moves of other artists, did he inspire them? and how has his songs effected music of his time and today? please give valid sources. thnx!!!!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

MTV is an American television network that launched on August , 1981. The channel plays music videos, presented by hosts known as VJ’. When MTV first started, it was originally designed to be a rock music channel. African-American artists didn’t fit in the channel’s ideal picture.

In 1982 the channel was struggling and it’s rates were declining, but the channel still refused to play non-Rock music. When 1983, head of record company CBS records, Water Yetnikoff, threatened to take away all of MTV’s rights to play CBS’s video, if they didn’t aired Michael’s Billie Jean, the channel felt pressured to ignore the threat.

When Billie Jean aired on MTV in 1983, Michael became the first African-American artist ever featured on the channel. He was the first African-American artist to truly own the mainstream channel. After Billie Jean’s premiere in ’83, MTV’s ratings rose and the channel moved it’s original preference for Rock music to Pop and R&B, which opened the door for other Black artists to get air-time on the channel.

Michael wasn’t the first artist that could dance, but he was the first artist that would take that talent and display it in his music videos and invent the pop star as a dancer. After Billie Jean, dancing became a part of the entertainment job and every artist with a hit record, felt pressured to shake their body down to the ground, because that was how Michael did it.

Then there was the Beat It video. Michael, being the innovator that he is, used mass choreography in his video. Something that opened a lot of doors for professional dancers, but wasn’t common around that time. His record label was naïve about the risky script and refused to finance the music video, leaving Michael to pay $150,000 for the music video himself.

The Thriller video choreography became Michaels best known choreography, and the video is known all around the globe. Inspired by the video, fans set up an annual event called ‘Thrill The World’. Ever since 2006, people have been dancing the zombie choreography all around the world on the same time. On 29th August 2009, Michaels birthday, Mexico set up a new world record, as more than 50,000 fans danced to the Thriller choreography.

Smooth Criminal is known, just as Bad, for it’s hard choreography. Whereas the Thriller and Beat It choreography would be easy to imitate, Smooth Criminal is often seen as Michaels hardest choreography to copy. But not only did it had people dancing, the choreography showed another trademark move of Michael which again seemed to defy the laws of gravity. Instead of wondering how Michael would make his feet moonwalk, it now had people wondering how he could lean so closely to the ground. It was all trick. This movement, also known as ‘the lean’, really defies the laws of gravity and therefore needed wires and harnesses to keep the dancers from falling while performing an anti-gravity lean. As a solution for his live shows, Michael wore special anti gravity shoes during live performances, which he filed a patent for in 1993.

Michael often stated that he was inspired by James Brown, Fred Astaire and Sammy Davis Jr. He would use their dancemoves as an inspiration, but he would never copy them. He would always innovative in something of his own.

Michael inspired many of todays artist such as Chris Brown and Justin Timberlake. All of these artist dance, because of Michael. Like I stated before, before Michael, it wasn't common for a popstar to posess several talents. Either you would sing or dance, but Michael did both and broke boundaries.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Shelly
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Yes he did make an impact on the whole world. But he actually comes out number 3 on the top 3 most famous people. Elvis comes first, second comes hte beatles, third michael jackson. He shouls be second! 1.) Michael Jackson; A great dancer and singer, extremely talented, caring, and of course sweet!! 2.) He inspires me because, I always want to become a better person he has stopped me from doing so many bad things. He inspires me to be a better person. 3.) I have learned that life is very short, and if you want to do something you should go for it. Because everyone only lives once. You never know when you are going to end. Who would have ever though that Michael would have died at age 50. I sertainly wouldn't have. 4.) I have always liked Michael Jacksons song "Beat it". I fell in love with that song. After his death, many people have fallen hard for the king of pop. 5.) Pshh.. do i love him? I dont just love him.. i LOVE HiM WiTHA PASSiON!!

• In the 1880's Michael Jackson opened the door to black

music going into MTV. Michael changed music and created

a whole new era. And lots of people use his dance moves.

Example: Chris Brown, Ne-Yo, Justin Timberlake, Justin Beiber,

Usher, even Miley Cyrus! (There are so much more) He inspired

all of those artists and most of the people singing today.

He opened doors to music of the 90's. Made it more real and funky.

People often use Michael Jackson -like- melodies these days.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Every pop or hiphop dancer today is inspired. The military jackets, the music videos almost ALL MUSIC you see today was inspired by him. before him, nothing of that sort ever existed. the background voices. michael jackson had three layers in each song, the first was the actually singing, the second was maybe the "i don't know" or "dad guna get it babeh" and the third was hehe! or owww!

no one else ever did that before him!!!! HE IS THE KING!!!

before his death i was scared to die, now im not cuz i know now i cud see him. lol

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Alysa
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Justin Timberlake, Lady Ga Ga, Chris Brown, Usher. Chris Brown has done tributes to him at his concerts.

Michael was a music video pioneer and a musical genius. Of course he had a huge influence on modern music. No source can tell you that better than modern music itself.

• 1 decade ago

He changed the history of music; without him, music would not exist as we know it. He is called "The King of Pop" for a reason, just as Elvis was "The King of Rock 'n' Roll". Many artists since the rise of MJ have been influenced by him and used his vocal techniques and musical styles. <3 xxxxx

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Beyonce, Chris Brown, Usher, Justin Timberlake, Neyo and many more have been inspired by Michael and if it wasn't for him you wouldn't see most of them dance like MJ although they never will be as good as him.

Also he broke many racial barriers.

• Effect it!?

He MADE music and dancing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.