Renu asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

How much of these would it take to hurt/kill a dog?

How much/many....

chocolate (bakers,dark, milk, white?

Onions

Grapes

Garlic

alcohol

and other things i didn't think of that are fatal

Thanks so much!

Update:

Im not going to feed my dog any

its just in case he does eat something and i wont panick too much

Update 2:

Im not going to feed my dog any

its just in case he does eat something and i wont panick too much

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Milk Chocolate:

    1 ounce per pound of the dog's body weight, meaning a 50 lb dog can consume up to 50 ounces of milk chocolate before succumbing to theobromine poisoning.

    Dark Chocolate:

    1 ounce per 9 lbs of the dog's body weight. This means a 50 lb dog can consume up to 5 1/2 ounces of dark chocolate before succumbing to theobromine poisoning.

    Baker's and semisweet chocolate is about the same as dark chocolate.

    White chocolate contains such trace amounts of theobromine that it's practically irrelevant. The dog would get full and/or ill from sugar overload long before the chocolate made it sick.

    Alcohol has a much more intense effect on dogs. Giving your 50 lb dog a beer will have a greater effect on it than it does on a 150 lb adult human. Alcohol easily causes seizure, coma, or death in dogs.

    Onions and garlic cause anemia. I'm not sure how many the dog would have to eat before every blood vessel in the body burst and they died of asphyxiation or bled to death.

    Acetaminophen in any mount is dangerous to a dog. Dogs can take it, contrary to popular belief, but the dosage is vastly different than it is in humans and must be monitored closely by a veterinarian to avoid severe stomach, liver, and kidney damage.

    Here's a list of some major no-nos:

    Baby food: may contain onion powder. Onion is toxic.

    Cooked meat/fat: Charred or smoldering organic matter contains carcinogens. No barbecue for the dog.

    Fish bones or cooked bones of any other kind: Fish bones easily obstruct the digestive tract. Cooked bones, even large ones, splinter far more easily and can cause an obstruction. Digestive obstructions, tears, or other injuries caused by splintered bones rarely correct themselves without surgery and are potentially lethal.

    Caffeine: Can have serious impact on the cardiovascular or nervous system in dogs.

    Soda, coffee, tea, etc: Contain caffeine

    Chocolate: Contains caffeine and theobromine. Theobromine is highly toxic to dogs. Ingested in large enough quantities and it is LETHAL. Dark or baker's chocolate is deadly. Milk chocolate is heavily diluted and is typically nonfatal unless consumed in large quantities. Any amount of chocolate can make your dog very ill, however. Interestingly, theobromine is also toxic to humans, however we can metabolize it fast enough to negate the effect. Dogs metabolize theobromine more slowly and therefore succumb to its effects.

    Citrus: Citrus oil causes vomiting. Avoid unless you enjoy cleaning up after a sick dog.

    Grapes/raisins: Contain toxins that damage the kidneys. It is unknown which chemicals in grapes cause this, but it is a known fact that something in them is highly toxic to dogs.

    Macadamia nuts: Cause the same kidney problems that grapes do.

    Cooked liver: Can cause Vitamin A toxicity which in turn causes problems in muscles and bones.

    Spoiled food or garbage: You don't know what's growing on that food or what other foods may be mixed in with it, especially if it's not your own garbage, and may contain bacteria or potentially toxic foods. Keep a lid on the trash.

    Mushrooms: Many varieties can cause shock and death.

    Alcohol: The effects of alcohol are far, far stronger on a dog than on a human and can easily cause coma or death.

    Raw dough: Especially if it contains yeast or other leavening ingredients, raw dough can cause stomach bloat or colon impaction.

    Onions or Garlic: Any kind of onion or garlic in any form--powder, raw, cooked, etc--causes anemia. Do. Not. Feed.

    Antifreeze (Ethylene Glycol): You'd think this would be a given but antifreeze smells and tastes sweet. Dogs aren't as likely as, say, cattle, to ingest antifreeze but it does happen. Ethylene Glycol poisoning, at least in humans, typically mimics alcohol intoxication or poisoning. Any amount of ethylene glycol ingestion, even the smallest lick, is a medical emergency.

    Xylitol: Artificial sweetener contained in many sugar-free gums and candies. It is known to cause seizures, lethargy, and weakness in dogs.

    Ibuprofen: Smells sweet and may therefore be tempting to dogs. Ibuprofen causes ulceration rather easily in dogs. It can perforate the stomach lining. It can cause a decrease in blood flow to the kidneys.

    Acetaminophen: Tylenol, Excedrin, Percoset, Paracetamol, etc. In large quantities can cause liver damage or failure, damage to or destruction of red blood cells, and/or anemia. Far more toxic to cats than to dogs, however, proper dosage for a dog MUST be obtained from a veterinarian. Bottle dosages are for a 120-150 lb human, not a 30-70 lb dog. Dogs also metabolize acetaminophen at different rates than humans. Overdose is typical when administered to dogs by owners. Consider it toxic and get a pain killer or anti inflammatory approved for use on dogs from your veterinarian. No veterinarian will prescribe acetaminophen due to the risk of poisoning or overdose.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • -
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    I don't know how much, have read that it they build up in the body. My grandfather had a Labrador and he was taught to do all kinds of tricks. Every morning when he heard the sound of tractors, he would trot up the hill to the village general store and scratch the screen door to come inside. One of the farmers taking their morning break would open it and let him come inside. He would do a routine of tricks, sit up & beg, roll over, play dead, etc. and one of the men would buy him a treat, either a Hershey bar in the winter or a chocolate ice cream sandwich in the summer. He ate it every day but Sunday when the store was closed. It didn't kill him. I've also known dogs to eat table scraps with onions and garlic cooked in such as stew back then, because most people didn't buy commercial dog foods in those days, and some even begged for grapes. I don't think one incident would kill them if they are in good health. Best to ask a veterinarian for advice.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

    You are a sensible person and well reliable. Keep feeding the poor thing. He should be fine if he is keeps well fed and well exercised but if the lady doesn't return by a week or 2 and you feel like you dont want to look after this dog any more or he get sick then take it to the vets.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    First of all, it all depends on the weight of the dog.

    For theobromine, the dangerous ingredient in chocolate, the LD50 (Lethal Dose, 50%) is 300 mg/kg. 8.5 ounces of chocolate is equal to 240 g, or 240,000 mg. Basically, a small amount can be fatal. Baker's chocolate is most dangerous, then dark, milk, and white.)

    For grapes and raisins, 1.1 oz/kg is considered a lethal dose.

    Here's a link to random poisonous things. It's more detailed.

    http://www.vetinfo.com/dtoxin.html

    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    depends on dog size, heart size ... well basically alot of stuff, so dont try any of it offcourse...

    although i have to say, grapefruit and onions and garlic? i mena, ive eaten it and i share my dinner with my dog often... so

    but at any rate, no chocolate... thats disastrous, and they have no idea!

    just make sure you have nothing lieing around and a good thing always is to train ur dog to not eat anything that is not handgiven by you and maybe family, or nothing other than whats in his bowl.....

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    It's different for every dog. Just don't give them any of that stuff and you shouldn't have to worry about it.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    You should not give a dog any of these things.

    They are poison to dogs.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    There is no set amount. Just don't take the chance

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    If you're thinking of killing/hurting that dog your mental woman! seriosly!

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.