- asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 10 years ago

What lesson can we learn from the hiker?

story by Marwa Aly and Ahmed Eid

Marwa Aly is a Muslim Chaplain at Trinity College and Wesleyan University, USA

{{ Once there was an amazing hiker. This hiker was remarkably skilled at climbing mountains. He was never afraid to climb mountains by himself. One day he decided that he wanted to conquer the highest and steepest mountain. He began very early in the morning, and went by himself. He never lost his tenacity or determination to reach the top and conquer the mountain. As the sun set, he began to notice how steep the climb really was and he had only reached the middle of the mountain. He had the option to continue forward in the darkness or to climb down and attempt the climb another day. He resolved to continue on. As nighttime fell, the weather began to drop and it had suddenly become very cold outside. All of a sudden the skilled mountain climber lost his footing and fell, still holding on to his rope. His rope fell with him but stopped at a specific point. At this point however, the mountain was cleaved in and all around him was just empty space and nothing to hold on to. His hands began to bleed from holding on to the rope so tightly for dear life. He began to shout to God asking God to help him and save him from this situation. All of a sudden he heard a voice. The voice said, “Do you believe in me?” The climber, in his complete hysteria, responded, “I always denied your existence outwardly, but I know that you exist.” The voice said, “Do you trust me?” The climber responded, “Of course I do, You are the only one who can help me.” The voice then said, “Let go of the rope.”

The climber said, “That is insane. There is no way I can let go of the rope- it is the only thing that is keeping me alive.”

The next day a rescue team went out to look for the climber and they found his body still holding tightly to the rope. He had frozen to death.

When people saw the frozen climber, they could not help but ask, “Why didn’t he just let go of the rope? He was only two feet off the ground.”

My dear brothers and sisters, let us be of those who attempt and strive and work hard towards Allah, and still have complete trust in Him and only Him.

May Allah make us of those who have trembling hearts when He is mentioned.

May Allah make us of those who increase in their faith when His verses are recited.

May Allah make us of those who have a deep trust in Him and only Him.

Ameen

Favorite Answer

we might think something is good for us (like holding onto the rope in the story..or listening to music in life)..but Allah Subhanhu wa Ta'ala knows best (to let go of the rope...not to listen to music)

somethings are beyond our comprehension..everything is for our own good

and if we are scared to do something (ex. wear hijab, pray in public, etc.)...we need to trust Allah Subhanhu wa Ta'ala fully..He knows best.

advice is directed towards myself first

thanks for the story

Jazaka'Allah Firdaus

Allah Hafiz

peace