Boyfriend called me a dumb b*tch, should i tell him to say sorry or wait for him to say it on his own?

the way me and my boyfriend are is when he does something wrong, i tell him that it bothers me and i tell him that im waiting for an apology.. but im sick of telling him all the time that he owes me an apology, he should know on his own. So today he called me a dumb b*tch and i call him a little bit ago to talk... show more the way me and my boyfriend are is when he does something wrong, i tell him that it bothers me and i tell him that im waiting for an apology.. but im sick of telling him all the time that he owes me an apology, he should know on his own. So today he called me a dumb b*tch and i call him a little bit ago to talk about our fight that we had, to straighten it out and i mentioned the "dumb b*tch" comment. I told him that i didnt like it and told him that that is a form of abuse and he was just like ok . so i just moved on and talked about something else.. and he told me he doesnt care about the fight and i told him that i do and to call me when he wants to deal with it cause i dont want to talk about it otherwise.. what i am wondering is if me not telling him that i want an apology and possibly breaking up with him if i dont get one (because i have been in an abusive relationship before and dont want to do it again) if that would be too harsh.. or should i just tell him that i want an apology.. i kind of think that he should know that he should apologize on his own, hes a big boy, he should know.. but maybe i am wrong?
Update: wow guys. im asking for advice.
and no the person with the guitar is a chick.