Those of faith, give an account or reason for your Hope? My holy book says so doesn't work! Objective answers?

I am a Christian... state your religion denomination and reason please... thank you!

@Peachfuzz

1 Peter 3:15

But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,

Favorite Answer

I am a Catholic Christian.

Hope is the theological virtue by which we desire and expect from God both eternal life and the grace we need to attain it.

Here is Pope Benedict XVI's Encyclical Letter to all the faithful on Christian Hope: http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/enc...

For more information, see The Catechism of the Catholic Church, paragraphs 1817 and following: http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/pt3sect1chpt1a...

With love in Christ.

Christ IN us, the hope of glory.

It is the Holy Spirit and the presense of Christ in us that sustains our hope.

Col 1 :27 To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

Non Dennominational Fundamentalist Christian

Religion - Non-denominational Christian.

Reason for hope - "I've been crucified with Christ, never the less, I live, yet not I but Christ living in me. (Gal 2:20)" I am a child "of God by faith, for (I have) been baptized into Christ (and) put on Christ.(Gal 3:26-27)" I have confidence in salvation through this faith (1 Jn 5:13).

Source(s): Thanks for asking

I am loosely an Episcopalian.

My reason for hope is that I look at the world around me, see how beautiful and absurd it is, and i can't help but believe the this is no result of pure chance.

I am not a member of any organized religious denomination, I am a Mennonite. Mennonites love God and love man.... seems like Jesus would concur.

hope - this is a wonderful gift indeed, the gift that gives fire when all else fells, sometimes it even relights the life where love itself seems to fail (i suppose except the love the Father seems to shower us with)

I have only one hope: that I can somehow convince myself that Yahweh isn't real. Otherwise I'll have to sit here on this miserable planet for another 50 years or so, dreading eternal torment. Yahweh can bite me.

You are no "christian".

I don't follow a religion or denomination-I only follow Christ Jesus.

Here is why I believe:

I was raised A "HARDCORE" Catholic for the first 18 years of my life. But I grew very tired of the same old routine, every Sunday. It wasn't untill, a member of my church choir gave me a book called "666", by Salem Kirban, that my life would change forever!

I became a Believer becasue of this book!

All through college, I was activly involved in both Inter-Varsity Christian Fellowship, & Campus Crusade for Christ. I really made some very close friends during those years!

It wasn't until after I had graduated from college, (University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Class of December '79), that things really went "south" for me!

After my one & only job in my major, (Bachelor of Fine Arts-Technical Theatre), bombed, I started working at another place. I met a girl there, who when I told her that I was still a virgin-well, that was all she needed! She lead me around like the proverbial "bull-with-a-ring-through-it's-nose". (Remember, I had been a HARDCORE Catholic for my first 18 years, & was taught those 18 years-that if I even LOOKED at a woman, I was going to Hell, & then I was a Believer for over, at that time, 4 years-so still no sex). She kept promising me sex, but as I was to discover, she never had any intention of fufilling that "promise". When she dumped me, to say I was devestated, would be an understatement!

Looking back on all this, I think the reason I fell away from my Lord for so long, was because, I didn't have the close Christian fellowship, that I had had at college!

I fell away from the Lord hard after that! Over 20+years, to be exact!

I was extremly racist, I had a hatred for woman, that was, (to say the least), unflattering, I had a mouth that would make most gangsta' rappers cringe, & most of all-I had a hatred for God, that lead to my practically cursing Him 24/7! Not a pretty picture, is it?

Oh yes-I also tried to kill myself over 2 dozen time, as well! Everything from Pills, to knives, to carbon Monoxide, even to dousing myself with gasoline & being within millimeters of striking the match!

My job situation wasn't any better! I went from one job to the next, never setting down roots anywhere for very long!

Well, I had a job, (this was after I moved to Madison), that I thought was ideal! Everybody was very happy with the work that I was doing, & I felt, for the first time in my life-satisfied with my life. Well, I was unjustly accused of something at this job, & that was the straw that broke the proverbial "camels" back! I ended up swallowing 30 sleeping pills, & ended up in the emergency room of one of the hospitals here! And what did I get out of it-a $1400 hospital bill, that it took FOREVER to pay off!

Looking back on this, I DO realize that it was indeed the Lord, telling me to get my rear-end over to the hospital, although I didn't realize it at the time.

Well, after a long string of temp jobs, I was ready to try suicide again, & this time, I was determined to get it right! I had hit rock bottom. No money, no job, nothing! In my apartment building, I had discovered the internet, because they have a small computer lab here. I now know that it WAS indeed the Lords leading here as well, when I came across a Christian website called Theology Online. Eventually, after trying to disprove Christianity, unsuccesfully I might add, I finally mustered enough courage to ask the people there to pray for me, which they did, because I was really depressed! As I said earlier, it was the Lord that lead me to TOL as well! What surprised me was I even interested in a Christian website, when I hated God so much! Well, HE didn't hate me!

Finally, I was ready to get the whole suicide thing right one & for all! I told the Lord that I would give Him one more chance to help me, if He even cared!

Well, the Lord again, (Although again, I didn't realize it at the time-sound familiar?), lead me to look in the Yellow pages for a church that had, of all things, a Satuday night service, which I thought was little bit strange. That church was Evangel Life Center-the same church that I am still attending, almost 3 years later! I went there, & sat in the back of the sanctuary. I wasn't there more than 10-15 minutes, when 3 wonderful women came over to talk to me. I told them why I was there, & what I was planning to do. They both prayed for & with me, & like the proverbial "prodigal son, THIS prodigal son finally came back to the the Family of God! That date was 1/11/03-a date that I will never forget!

Since that time I have had both ups & downs, like we all have. The "ups" side was fantastic! I had gained an absolutly fearlessness in witnessing-eventually, which lead to my witnessing not just to one person, but to groups of people, both at work & at my apartment bulding as well! What was really cool, was that I just knew exactly what to say! I KNOW that that was the Lord working through me, because I was so totally surrendered to the Lord, it was the greatest experience in my life, that 2 of the people that I had a chance to witness to actually received the Lord as Lord & Savior ON THE SAME DAY! *WOW*

But I also have had some major "down" times as well! I did backslide for 6-7 months, I turned my back on God's calling to become a minister,were the top ones.

But God has always been faithful-Always!

Psalms 9:18

But the needy will not always be forgotten, nor the hope of the afflicted ever perish.

Psalms 31:24

Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the LORD.

Psalms 33:18

But the eyes of the LORD are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love,

Psalms 39:7

"But now, Lord, what do I look for? My hope is in you.

Psalms 43:5

Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.

Psalms 71:5

For you have been my hope, O Sovereign LORD, my confidence since my youth.

Psalms 119:74

May those who fear you rejoice when they see me, for I have put my hope in your word.

Psalms 119:130:7

O Israel, put your hope in the LORD, for with the LORD is unfailing love and with him is full redemption.

Proverbs 10:28

The prospect of the righteous is joy, but the hopes of the wicked come to nothing.

Proverbs 13:12

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life.

Proverbs 14:32

When calamity comes, the wicked are brought down, but even in death the righteous have a refuge.

Proverbs 23:18

There is surely a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off.

Proverbs 24:14

Know also that wisdom is sweet to your soul; if you find it, there is a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off.

Jeremiah 17:7

"But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him.

Acts 23:6

Then Paul, knowing that some of them were Sadducees and the others Pharisees, called out in the Sanhedrin, "My brothers, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee. I stand on trial because of my hope in the resurrection of the dead."

Romans 4:18

Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed and so became the father of many nations, just as it had been said to him, "So shall your offspring be."

Romans 5:1-5

Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we[a]have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

Romans 12:12

Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.

Romans 15:4

For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.

1 Corinthians 13:13

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

2 Corinthians 3:10-12

For what was glorious has no glory now in comparison with the surpassing glory. And if what was fading away came with glory, how much greater is the glory of that which lasts! Therefore, since we have such a hope, we are very bold.

Ephesians 1:18

I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints,

Ephesians 4:1-5

As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to one hope when you were called— one Lord, one faith, one baptism

Colossians 1:3-5

We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you, because we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for all the saints— the faith and love that spring from the hope that is stored up for you in heaven and that you have already heard about in the word of truth, the gospel

Colossians 1:26-27

the mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the saints. To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

1 Thessalonians 1:3

We continually remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Thessalonians 5:8

But since we belong to the day, let us be self-controlled, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet.

Titus 2:11-14

For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope—the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all